Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just getting started in So Cal

I totally know what you mean. Before I went to visit Dr. Quilici, I had to go to my GI doctor for another issue. So at the end of the appointment I asked him what he thought of lapband..and immediately he said, "why don't you just get a bypass?" In my head I had already talked myself into getting the lapband and researched it and everything. I left his office feeling so ...what's the word...like, maybe I'm not making the right decision for me. Conflicted. So I went home and logged onto this site and read more about both.

Then when I had my appointment at Dr. Q's office, y'know the meeting with Julie? Well, she was explaining the whole procedure...both bypass and lapband. After having the bypass procedure explained....I knew I didn't want to go there. It's just too much cutting for me. Cutting, disconnecting, connecting. And this is not to say it's not right for someone else...it just isn't for me. And the explanation that bypass people lose 90-100% of their excess weight...which banders are at 70-80%....I can live with that. If I lost 70% of my excess weight....even 60%...need I say more? (I haven't been at 60% of my excess weight in many years) But looking at what some of the members on here are doing....sounds like something I could do.

I too am afraid of failure. I had some success with WW years ago...but after having to have to total hysterectomy 5 years ago, nothing that used to work before is working now. I have the metabolism of a bar of soap. So yep, I too am afraid that I'm going to go through this and not make it. But all that is negativity....and I'm going to vow with this to be positive.

YES WE CAN. :w00t: Right? I'm going for the bypass.

Boy, Lil' Miss Scareall, you come quite a way. I got a letter saying that I was approved, and took it to Dr. Quilici's office. Maureen said they hadn't been notified of my approval, so it was a good thing I brought the letter. But you do have to stay on top of them. I had to call them to get my pre op diet, which I'd been told would be mailed to me. Julie said she would fax it, but it didn't come through, so I called again and Maureen, who was supposed to have mailed it, faxed a couple of copies.

There are a few people in the San Fernando/Glendale/Burbank area trying to start a group just for bandsters. We've met a couple of times, and are planning to meet again at the home of one of the women. Anyone who wants to join us is more than welcome!

Debbie

Hi Everyone. I'm in So Cal and just starting my journey. Went to see my PCP about med problems, (weight, arthritis in the knees, swelling in my feet) and I asked her about lapband surgery, which she said was a good option. I had gone to an informational seminar a few weeks prior. Anyways, I've got Aetna HMO which doesn't cover lap band, but my doctor said that she could write a letter to the insurance company for me. About a week later, I got a referral to go see Dr. Quilici in Burbank.

My consult is on Monday, January 19. I really really want this to happen. I'm just in limbo right now because I'm not sure if my insurance will cover it (but I'm hoping they will because they did approve the consult). Have any of you had a similar situation with HMO?

So I'm really happy to be here. I've learned so much just by reading your posts. I've struggled with my weight for my entire life. I need to deal with this once and for all.

Nooshie

Hi Nooshie,

I'm having my surgery Wednesday Jan.28,09 I'm excided and a little scard. Before I got notified by the Dr.office I didn't think it would ever get here. I'm having mine done at Scott and White in Temple Texas.

Boy, Lil' Miss Scareall, you come quite a way. I got a letter saying that I was approved, and took it to Dr. Quilici's office. Maureen said they hadn't been notified of my approval, so it was a good thing I brought the letter. But you do have to stay on top of them. I had to call them to get my pre op diet, which I'd been told would be mailed to me. Julie said she would fax it, but it didn't come through, so I called again and Maureen, who was supposed to have mailed it, faxed a couple of copies.

There are a few people in the San Fernando/Glendale/Burbank area trying to start a group just for bandsters. We've met a couple of times, and are planning to meet again at the home of one of the women. Anyone who wants to join us is more than welcome!

Debbie

thats exactly what happened to me. I got a letter in the mail from Aetna saying i was approved and I had to call Maureen and tell her. I thought that was weird because I always thought they would be calling me !!! lol

nothing went as I expected. It was all kinda odd. but at least I got approved :sneaky:

They never mailed or emailed my pre-op diet, even still. Im going to have to call Julie or Maureen tomorrow againnnn. sigh. honestly, his office staff is driving me nuts.

oh, and btw, I am scheduled to attend the same nutrition meeting as you this Thursday. Maybe we will see each other :confused: