Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How often do you exercise?

Just wondering on average, how often everyone is getting in some form of exercise - how much, what types, what's worked, what hasn't, etc.

I've been very slack for quite sometime and hadn't exercised one bit, other than walking to the fridge LOL. The gym close to home, had almost always closed by the time I got home from work and fixed dinner for the family. So this week I decided to transfer my gym membership to the facility down the street from the office. I've went in the past two mornings, before work. I feel great for doing it, so hopefully I won't slack off again (don't have any excuses now LOL).

We're going to the states in Dec/Jan to visit my family and then to Vegas. Hoping I can drop another 10kgs (atleast) by then.

I wish I could get up and exercise in the morning, tooooooooooo lazy :sleep lol. I do mine around seven every night. I have the walk away the pounds cd and I always try to do the 2 or 3 mile. I do it 5 days a week, I take a break Friday and Saturday. I have lost 5 lbs in the past 2 weeks.

))))AND THAT EXCITED ME((((((

Anyway the instructor Leslie Sansone is real upbeat and easy to follow.

This is an area where I've had to be brutally honest with myself. Anything I try to do "religiously" is something I will not do for long. So I don't make any promises or set any high bars.

But it was important that I get some exercise in my life, rather than just chasing my kids. So my family joined the Y. Over the past year I've gone to their cardio room and worked out on the treadmill or elliptical three times a week, most weeks. Once in a while I'll do four, but many times it's only twice since life intervenes. Saturday mornings are the one truly regular time that I go; every other day it's an "if I make it after work" kind of thing.

I'd love to go in the mornings but my schedule just won't permit. As it is, if I can get there three times a week I feel very virtuous. My workout these days consists of as much time on the treadmill or elliptical as I can get in, usually 30-45 minutes.

For about half of last year I worked with a personal trainer on weight training, which was terrific. But I just can't afford to keep that up at $40 a pop, so it ended. Now I have the weights at home, but of course I don't take them out very often. :(

I figure ANY exercise is better than none, so I just keep on plugging away. It is a lot more fun than it used to be, and I'm not ambitious and I'm not trying to win anything. Just trying to keep myself moving. :D

lately, I've been a real slacker. But it's hard to be motivated to do much when you are taking percocet.

Once I get back to school I will have access to a gym and ... stuff. Right now I walk aobut 8 blocks a day 5 days a week

I went from exercising 5 times a week to not doing anything for the last 2 weeks. To say I've been in a funk would be an understatement lol. i NEED to get my ass off the couch and to the gym.

Melissa

That is the one thing I NEED the most but DO the least!!! I need to JUMP START my exercises and I know I will continue!!!

I am the co-leader of our Support Group and I just coordinated a once a week one-hour exercise session at the Powerhouse Gym in our area. The gal and guy have worked with me to set up a class tailored for people who have had the lap-band surgery and are at all different stages. Very low-impact exercises that anyone can do!! We meet every Wednesday at 7pm and tomorrow is the second class....we'll see how it goes. It's in addition to whatever other program the patients are on, since we need 30 minutes a day!

I'll keep you posted! WE had ELEVEN members at the first class!!!

Nancy

I love to exercise! Gym 3-5 mornings a week before work where I do a mixture of resistance training and cardio.

Then 30min walk with the dog each weeknight - bit longer on the weekends. That's the extent of my planned exercise. Since going to the gym and having the band, I've lost 40kg so its working for me.

I found having some sessions with a personal trainer at the gym useful in the beginning to ensure I was using the equipment correctly and to get hints how to get the best out of my training.

I do some classes - Spin and Pump - then do stuff on my own in the cardio theatre and on the gym floor using the resistance equipment.

I too chose a gym close to work - helps me to ensure that I get there. I also pack all my gear into the car the night before as this also gives me incentive to get going in the morning.

Good luck!

I actually find it not hard to stay motivated - I love going to the gym and love to sweat and have met some really nice gals there (ladies only gym). It is a really unpretentious place where I feel very welcome and comfortable. I also feel so much better for being fitter and have been able to measure my progress, not just on the scales (I hate the scales!!) but through other measures such as how much weight I can lift, how fast and for how long I can go on the treadmill etc etc. Just knowing how much good I am doing for myself is enough to keep me going. Now if I could only have had that sort of discipline in regards to my eating, well, I woudn't have needed the surgery in the first place!!

My dog shows her displeasure if she doesn't get a walk and makes me feel guilty. She runs to the front door and looks from it to me in a very appealing manner. If that doesn't work, she comes over to where I am and stares at me - it is quite unnerving. She will not allow me to ignore her!

I guess I am lucky in that I have found what I love doing so being motivated to do it isn't terribly hard, although I must say, getting out of bed before 6am on a chilly Hobart winter's morning isn't always a lot of fun.

Good luck!

Well...for about 2 months I was doing gym 4 times a week, for the last month I really have been doing nothing exercise wise, running after 4 kids is exercise I spose. Im like Alex, I am soooooooooo motivated and so sure I am going to stick to it, only to have my motivation disappear after a while. I wish there was a ladies only gym near me, that would motivate me. I hate going to gyms where they guys are all built like well u know, and the chicks are all looking good in their g string leotard. I might be exagerrating a little, but u know what I mean.

Maybe a weekly thread on exercising and how much we have done?? Might help motivate us unmotivated ones.

I actually LIKE going to the gym, but during the summer there is no set schedule for anything and I just haven't been going as much as I was. The gym is a good 20 or so minutes from the house too. School starts back soon, and I will be dropping the kids off and heading to the gym which is on the way home as usual then. I rarely miss a day during the school year. And looking at what I do with the kids, I'm not totally disactive now. Swiming alot, walking alot, paddle boats (who thought these were fun?) etc. I'm sure its not as intense as the 35 minutes on the treadmill and the 35 minutes on the ellipital I do when I get to the gym...but at least its something.

Melissa

We (the family) joined the Y last year thinking we would use it...wrong. Well until about 2 weeks ago. I have been taking a Cardio Deep Water class, twice a week. So far that is as much as I do. It's not alot but it's something. I need to add at least one more class in a week and I feel better about it.

The thread might not be a bad idea...it will get us all thinking.

i have a gym membership and used to get up every morning at 5.30 to go

that only lasted 2 months....but im going to start going again

LOL We had a gym membership at the y for over a year before we started using it. Actually I started using it originally because hubby was talking about canciling it! With the kids in school its just habit for me to go by the gym on the way home. And now that Karah will be in school too I won't even have to keep things to a certain time limit...so hoping I'll be able to take more classes.

Melissa