Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sliming when eating...anything

I feel like things are always stuck. Almost everytime (maybe 7 out of 10 times) I eat I have a sliming episode. Even when I eat Slooowww. So slow the food is cold and I don't want it anymore. I get maybe 7 bites down, then I start feeling that uh oh, stuck feeling. I sit there and swallow and swallow and swallow the lump of yuck so I don't puke. Finally I have to get up and go to the sink and out the slime goes. :thumbup: After that, I'm fine. I can finish eating if I want. Has anyone else had this with all foods? I do NOT feel like I am too tight. I don't often even have a chance to get full because I do this first. I know what full feels like and sometimes it would just be nice to have that contented full feeling after a nice meal. I do have some restriction, however, because I can not eat breads easily, spaghetti is an absolute never again, french fries, and lettuce is troublesome. I have a two year old, and I portion my plate out to match his, figuring that is about the size my stomach should be. Does that sound right to you? Sometimes this is enough, other times not. I do not think I am to a good restriction yet, but I don't think I'll be getting a fill at the end of the month like I had planned, just so I can get this under control first. I have resolved to get the chew chew chew down to a science first!! Any other thoughts??

If you are sliming that usually means the food is getting stuck at the band. That typically happens for me due to one of three reasons...I ate something I can't tolerate, I did not chew well enough or I am too tight. If it is happening with all foods and you are taking small bites (about the size of a trimmed fingernail on your index finger) and chewing it very well then I would say you are too tight. Is it like this for all three meals? I know that I am tight in the morning, still a little tight for lunch then fine for dinner.< /p>

Getting stuck IS a type of restriction--more specifically, TOO much restriction.

I know you say you think you aren't tight enough, but sliming and getting stuck--especially when eating appropriate foods and small bites chewed well--is the very definition of too tight.

My doc's office would tell you to come in for a slight unfill. It's a vicious cycle when you get stuck--it can irritate your stomach and make everything swell up and get tighter. A small unfill will let you eat the proper foods in proper amounts.

Good luck!

I'd say you ought to talk to your doctor and he might want to do a barium swallow to see if your band is too tight. Nursing along a band that is too tight can lead to pouch prolapse or stretching as I learned the hard way. I dealt with sliming and difficultly getting solids down for about a week thinking it would settle down with time but it didn't and when they did the barium swallow my band was so tight the Fluid was barely dripping through, and the upper pouch was starting to look dilated. Thankfully mine was caught before any real damage was done but I had to have most of my fluid removed for 2 weeks to allow it to all relax and heal, and now I'm in the process of slowly building up the restriction again. Better safe than sorry :tongue2:

I feel like things are always stuck. Almost everytime (maybe 7 out of 10 times) I eat I have a sliming episode. Even when I eat Slooowww. So slow the food is cold and I don't want it anymore. I get maybe 7 bites down, then I start feeling that uh oh, stuck feeling. I sit there and swallow and swallow and swallow the lump of yuck so I don't puke. Finally I have to get up and go to the sink and out the slime goes. :thumbup: After that, I'm fine. I can finish eating if I want. Has anyone else had this with all foods? I do NOT feel like I am too tight. I don't often even have a chance to get full because I do this first. I know what full feels like and sometimes it would just be nice to have that contented full feeling after a nice meal. I do have some restriction, however, because I can not eat breads easily, spaghetti is an absolute never again, french fries, and lettuce is troublesome. I have a two year old, and I portion my plate out to match his, figuring that is about the size my stomach should be. Does that sound right to you? Sometimes this is enough, other times not. I do not think I am to a good restriction yet, but I don't think I'll be getting a fill at the end of the month like I had planned, just so I can get this under control first. I have resolved to get the chew chew chew down to a science first!! Any other thoughts??

This exact thing is happening to me also! Im so glad Im not alone...Eating is almost a chore now cause I know its going to get stuck and hurt...I have had 3 fills, not exactly sure how much is in the band, I think about 3cc's. My last fill was the week before Christmas, is it possible to still be that tight so far out? Im thinking of calling my surgeon and doing a fluro, just to be sure. I know its frustrating, I'm right there with you! Please let me know if you find out anything, or if anyone has any other ideas...

I am having the same problem. I have 6 cc in a 10cc band. I have started avoiding eating solid meats as it makes me uncomfortable every time. I was hoping it would ease up, but it hasn't. I am up 2 lbs due to eating slider foods and too much salt and carbs trying to avoid getting stuck. I am going to send an e-mail to my surgeon and see if I can get in for a small unfill. At my last fill he was going to put in 1 cc, but then decided to add 2 cc - guess he should have gone with the 1 cc. I am not scheduled to go back to see him for 3-4 months, but hopefully they can fit me in. It is a 2 hour drive, but I am willing to take a day off from work and make the drive as I am getting discouraged.

I have been having the same problem. I think my problem is the first meal of the day is always hard for me. Breakfast is OK, i usually have a pudding cup of a yogurt. But when it comes to lunch time, it's rough! I would say that 4 out of 5 days, i have a problem with sliming. I carry around a styromfoam cup, until the feeling subsides. Also I don't think I take small enough bites or chew enough. :rolleyes:

I really dont understand how you can say you dont feel too tight when this is happening. This is the very definition of too tight.

Sliming or stuck for me would happen maybe once or twice a week, very minor discomfort (as in stop eating for a minute, let it go down and then finish) probably 3/4 of my meals. That's more normal. Getting slimy and stuck every meal isnt how it should be, its too tight.

Get an unfill, you'll feel so much better and you'll probably find it doesnt affect your weight loss either.