Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ice Cream horror

Bandana- I can totally relate to the ice cream addiction!

I have been there done that with eating sweets and saying "I don't care- this is so worth being fat for" Then, I hate myself the next day. I need electric shock therapy! What flavor were you into? Sometimes substituting the flavor helps but with a lower calorie treat. I found sugar free fat free chocolate popsicles- my problem is clearly that if it is a "forbidden food" aka something I never could have on previous diets- I want it more. That is why ice cream is such a big deal. I don't think there will ever be a time in my life I could truly enjoy sweets without feeling like I shouldn't have them!!! I'm horrible!

Brad- you have some great insights that I would love to continue talking about. For instance, my Dr. was telling me 800 cals a day and I never ever followed that because Gd forbid something happened and I had to lose my restriction- I know the weight would pile back on. So I try to stick with the 1200-1500 route. I also am an angel about getting my Protein in every day- at least 60 g. Also excellent Water drinking! Went from walking 3 miles once a week to ellipitcal machine 4-5x a week for 30min-45min getting sweaty, 5-6 level resistance. I also started working out with a trainer doing weights for an hour 3x week for the past 3 weeks. I have been up and down from 161, 164, 166, my weight is different every day and has been since November. I feel like my only resort to get to the next level is to out carbs completley. I know you might object to that- but can you explain why I am not dropping some major lbs?

Should I start working out for 2 hours a day? I really don't think my trainer understands the band- but at least he gets me in the gym and forces me to do things I would never ever do on my own!

You probably won't get a good review of the band in the gym! :) I surely wouldn't expect much band guidance there at least...

I think the first step for anyone trying to figure out why they aren't losing sufficiently (1-2 pounds a week) is to journal all input and expenditure. I use Fitday, but there are many other excellent programs. I bought the Fitday program so I could keep it on my laptop and go anywhere with it. They also offer a free online version.

Gather as many different opinions as you can and then develop a plan of action. I consider myself an information whore... LOL Just make adjustments until you get the desired results.

One thing that is hard for us is patience. I suffer badly from wanting results RIGHT DAMN NOW! And by demanding such I've lost too much weight too fast. And I shutter to think how much of it was lean muscle tissue, because I'm at 24% body fat.

One thing to consider, which I've only begun to do, is track your body fat percentage and coordinate that number with those given by the almighty scale. Because scale numbers alone don't show the whole picture. Searching for the most practical, yet accurate way to measure body fat? Well... that's a topic for a whole other thread... LOL

Good luck and keep up the good fight!

Brad

wow, you are great though!

my question is- why in the world doesn't the doctor's office measure my body fat? everytime I go in- it's all about the scale! and I'm so crazy I would strip naked to save a pound!

It sure would be helpful if they did some body fat testing!

I had my trainer do some caliper pinching and without looking at the paper, I think it was 31% or 33%- oh yah- but he didn't know about my internal body fat... so it could be more?

whatever the case- it wasn't pretty- but hopefully someday it will be...

I am trying to stay within my heart rate while working out

122-132- do you think that's about right?

Brad, Any suggestions for a woman who can't afford a gym membership, has 3 active kids, a full-time job and very little time to go to a gym even if I could afford to. What kind of exercise program can I put into action in my house?

I haven't been banded yet but am starting the process with the center and insurance

Laurie

you could try a workout video that you can do at home. I have been using one called "walk away the pounds". it starts off slow and works you up to 1 mile then 2 miles then 3 miles. each one has a warm up, fat burn, and cool down period. it takes about 15 minutes for 1 mile, 30 minutes for 2 mile, and 50 minutes for 3 mile. I work full time and go to college full time and have a family as well so, I do whichever I have time for. Hope this helps. Best of luck to you!

Kevin

Depending on the age of your kids---I have a workout video for my granddaughter that is from the Mickey Mouse Club---it has parents and kids.

When the weather is decent, I take her to a local park and race her----her on her trike, me on foot!

We turn on CMT and we dance.

We have "races" doing crunches-----anything Granny does, she wants to do, she just turned 4. She may not have perfect form, but even at her age, and she is a tiny thing, she is developing better habits that sitting in front of a video game.

Sometimes when the weather isn't so great--we still need to get outside and soak up some sun---so I take her, bundle her up in her coat, and grab a couple of dolls or stuffed animals, and a couple of blankets, throw them all in the wagon--and away we go. The added pull of the wagon helps me, and we don't have to go as far as usual---even if it is really cold, I feel better when I get home.

Even outside building a snowman, or pulling the kids on a snow disc, or sled, is burning calories...AND creating great fun for you together.

If you save your jugs from fabric softner or bleach, you can add various amount of Water to them to make hand weights, and can make them lighter or heavier depending on your kids ability and age.

Play follow the leader---------let them lead! They will wear you out!

If you do not have videos---and have cable check your On Demand feature, they usually have some for options.

You can increase your movement, and add "exercise" in almost everywhere in your daily chores--stretching to make the bed....squats as you sort laundry......leg lifts while you watch TV. If you have an infant, stand and rock.....

I actually do better when I have my granddaughter here, I find myself looking for ways to keep her active, and we practice our counting or sing songs while we do things, so I feel like she is learning as we exercise.

Good Luck to you, I know it must be hectic with 3 kids and a job! I feel for you. Maybe the walk would be just the thing, tho....some down time to spend listening to all the things I am sure they want to tell you....all at the same time!! I remember when mine were younger!!!

Kat

The physical activity will be good for all of us! You know I've always been a person to do the research, find out the good and the bad and deal with it in the end. I was a little surprised tonight what the Dr requires as far as the program he offers. I understand all of that, the medical tests, the 13 week diet, losing 10% of my excess weight before the surgery, weekly support groups, the dietician, physical therapist. I have heard that you should really look closer at the staff than the doctor because they are the ones who do the follow-ups, fills and support. Would you say this is true? If I go by straight #s he's done 17 lapbands here and 20 as a resident. That doesn't sound like a lot to me

wow, you are great though!

my question is- why in the world doesn't the doctor's office measure my body fat? everytime I go in- it's all about the scale! and I'm so crazy I would strip naked to save a pound!

It sure would be helpful if they did some body fat testing!

I had my trainer do some caliper pinching and without looking at the paper, I think it was 31% or 33%- oh yah- but he didn't know about my internal body fat... so it could be more?

whatever the case- it wasn't pretty- but hopefully someday it will be...

I am trying to stay within my heart rate while working out

122-132- do you think that's about right?

Brad, Any suggestions for a woman who can't afford a gym membership, has 3 active kids, a full-time job and very little time to go to a gym even if I could afford to. What kind of exercise program can I put into action in my house?

I haven't been banded yet but am starting the process with the center and insurance

Hi Ladies!

Good question on the fat percentage... Not sure - gonna ask my doc though! This is what I suspect though...Most weight loss programs are trying to show you progress quickly because that's what keeps us motivated to continue. scale numbers are an easy way to achieve the perception of progress.

Please remember that my posts are my method of operation - which will not be for everyone. We are all in different conditions/situations and what works for one may not for another - but here's the core of my strategy...

My fat loss strategy consists of three components.

1) Keeping my band effective (proper restriction - not too tight, not too loose.

2) Proper nutrition and calorie cycling.

3) Exercise - with a focus on intense cardio.

I take a stricter approach than a lot of other people do. I do not consider walking, yard work, house work, playing with kids, etc. to count for exercise. Those are part of my daily calorie expenditure. Why? Two Reasons. 1) Even after intense exercise, we still must be active for the remainder of the day. If you workout then hit the couch - don't expect much. 2) Those activities do not produce the required heart rate response that I consider crucial.

Do a bit of an experiment with yourself. Get a heartrate monitor. This is the only way to accurately track your cardiovascular progress and level of exertion. On the first day, wear the monitor while you do things around the house. On the second day, do 40 minutes of cardio exercise, remaining in your target heart rate zone, then continue to monitor for a period after you've stopped working out and while doing other chores. Then on the third day do intense cardio for 40 minutes, producing an 85% heart rate periodically during the workout. Then once done, monitor the numbers while doing chores. Note difference. Do you see the afterburn? This is why I don't care for always staying inside the target heart rate zone. You're missing out on a huge burn of calories - both during and after the workout. Yes, while in your target zone you burn a higher RATIO of fat calories. However, the intense cardio will still burn a HIGHER NUMBER of fat and total calories. Quite frankly, I don't care about the ratio - I want a good overall burn.

You don't have to have a gym to do this, however, you will have to find ways to achieve the heart rate goal. A gym just offers more options.

Good luck and keep moving!

Brad

Edited by bambam31