Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lap band vs by-pass

i went to a seminar last night and almost everyone started off wanting lap band but ended up going with by pass but i still want lap band but i wonder why so many changrd thier minds

Did they try to steer people more toward Bypass? I went to three different seminars and found that my surgeon tended to steer people more to Lab Band whereas the first one leaned more toward Bypass. The third one had different types of surgeons so they were more "middle-of-the-road". Being to three seminars I was able to be more open minded to both types of surgery.

It really is a personal choice. If someone has no control over food or no prior experience or sucess with losing weight and a high BMI then bypass may be the better choice. Lap Band is less invasive and adjustable but it takes a little more work to control what, when and how you eat.

I think most of the Dr's don't want to deal with all the fills and unfills they have to do with the band. It takes alot of there time and the patients.

Yes, it's totally a personal choice. However, I too attended several seminars at local hospitals and found one trying to steer me toward the bypass over the lapband. I believe they know the lapband process is truly not the magic bullet, instead it's a tool used along with Portion Control and exercise. Some people need the drastic reduction a bypass offers while others (like me and countless others) who need help in the process of losing weight. From what I can tell most people are just tired of trying and feeling so desperately let down when the weight comes back (with a vengence I might add). I hope this helps.

at my seminar they were steering everyone towards the bypass, when i had my 1 on 1 consult with surgeon he said he would not do bypass on me since my BMI was only 40. He said I would lose a ton of muscle mass and would look way too skinny. I am very happy with the band so far can have my first fill in 3 weeks.

At 1 seminar a new WLS Doctor said that a lot of favoritism is just geographic. At my support group meeting last night, my Doctor said that things are swinging in favor of by-pass. I have gotten by-pass results with a Realize band. Lost #140 pounds in 11 months. Good Luck, Hasta Pronto, George:thumbup::thumbs_up::thumbup:

My seminar also leaned toward by pass. I think the reason was money and insurance coverage. In our area most insurance co are not covering lap ban currently and medical aid will not cover lap ban at least I think that is the case currently. I was fortunate that my insurance co did cover lap ban. I was looking for by pass but my surgeon recommeded lap ban because of my BMI.I am very gald I had lap ban and was especially thankful when I woke up from my surgery.

thank you all fr the great response on my question about aaaaLap Band vs by-pass. I m convinced Lap band is gonna be best for me as i believe I just need the start cause i ve lost before and my BMI is about 43 thanks again

Im going to Kaiser Richmond and found they were encouraging the band, I went months assuming I was going to have the band. Then I went to the surgeon appointment and all my reasons why I wanted the band were why i DIDNT want the bypass, but all my concerns were relieved. I go back and forth, but sweets are a huge issue for me and a major reason why Im making this decision.

It is 100% a personal decision.

My doctors were very neutral and supportive of both procedures at the seminar. I think there was around 125 people at the seminar...it was packed. But the presented the good and the bad of both procedures and stated that the indvidual and the doctor will decide together which procedure is best for that person.

I felt no pressure either way.

Maybe people changed their mind and switched to bypass, because it has rapid weight loss results. That is exactly one of the reasons why I did not select the procedure.

This is a BIG issue right now - for me, included. However, I have been banded for 19 months and haven't lost a single, shittin' pound (excuse my choice of words-caused by frustration). I am waiting to hear back from my surgeon to see if he would consider doing a revision from the band to the bypass for me. The PA that I seen this week for my fill said that people like me (very little control) may actually do better with the bypass because it "forces" you to eat the right things - and there very well may be serious negative side effects if you don't, as it prevents your body from absorbing much of what you take in. I am seriously considering this - not because the band doesn't work - because I don't work with the band, the band doesn't work FOR ME. I am extremely depressed and frustrated at this point. And, I know there are more risks with the bypass; however, because of my weight, I've had 3 back surgeries and am 33 years old - and those are risky too. I guess you have to weigh your options, and it is absolutely true that each and every person must decide what is better in their particular situation. I didn't realize that the lap-band was/is not for everyone - and even if I had, I would have thought "I won't be a statistic - I can make this work" haha-jokes on me. So, anyone out there contemplating WLS - think seriously about your habits and personality before you decide! I'm living proof that that should play as big a part in your decision as any.

This is a BIG issue right now - for me, included. However, I have been banded for 19 months and haven't lost a single, shittin' pound (excuse my choice of words-caused by frustration). I am waiting to hear back from my surgeon to see if he would consider doing a revision from the band to the bypass for me. The PA that I seen this week for my fill said that people like me (very little control) may actually do better with the bypass because it "forces" you to eat the right things - and there very well may be serious negative side effects if you don't, as it prevents your body from absorbing much of what you take in. I am seriously considering this - not because the band doesn't work - because I don't work with the band, the band doesn't work FOR ME. I am extremely depressed and frustrated at this point. And, I know there are more risks with the bypass; however, because of my weight, I've had 3 back surgeries and am 33 years old - and those are risky too. I guess you have to weigh your options, and it is absolutely true that each and every person must decide what is better in their particular situation. I didn't realize that the lap-band was/is not for everyone - and even if I had, I would have thought "I won't be a statistic - I can make this work" haha-jokes on me. So, anyone out there contemplating WLS - think seriously about your habits and personality before you decide! I'm living proof that that should play as big a part in your decision as any.

Skhopp, so sorry this has happened to you. It is my greatest fear. I had given serious consideration to the bypass, but decided against it for so many personal reasons.

Do you think the bypass will help you? I mean it is also a tool in some way, because you have to eat a certain way just like with the band. Both procedures require a life style change to make them work properly, so I guess I am wondering if you can do that with the bypass?

Take care.:grouphug:

I also weighed the 2 surgeries and always favored the band. My sister-in-law had the bypass, and although the rapid weight loss is attractive to me, I personally prefer the less invasive procedure and the "option" of taking more control. My SIL looked REALLY gaunt, dark circles, saggy chin, and many other features I did NOT like. YES, she lost a lot of weight, but the way it was distributed and the saggy skin, (not the mention the things above) that made it look..unnatural I guess is the only way to describe it. Both surgeries are a "tool" (sorry to beat that dead horse) and both require a lifestyle change. If you're not committed to changing your lifestyle and eating habits, neither will produce effective results. Just my .02

My seminar was heavily in favor of Lap Band, but when I had my one-on-one with the surgeon, he suggested the bypass because I have several co-morbidities including diabetes, lots of weight to lose, and I'm not real young. He said the bypass works better with diabetic patients.

Good luck with your decision!