Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Workouts at Home

I need some serious help. Since my husband has been laid off from his job we have NO funds for me to join a gym, much less buy any kind of exercise equipment. That being said...

1) How do you motivate yourself to work out at home? At least in the gym I let myself start out getting motivated by not wanting to look ike the fat loser who couldn't do more than 15 minutes on the treadmill. (Hey, it worked wen I first started, then I stopped caring about what others thought because I was there for ME.)

2) What kind of exercise do you do? I just found the couch to 5k website and plan on starting that on Monday. If I have to I could probably budget $10 or $15 on a set of small handweights, but not much more than that at all.

Thanks for your help! I really need to get myself going with the weightloss again. Just posting here will help me get a little motivated. I just need some ideas other than jumping jacks and push ups.

Couch to 5k is an excellent program!! That would take care of the cardio part of working out. Jump roping is a good cardio exercise too. Not sure if you have stairs inside your home or steps outside, but running up and the steps is a good workout too.

Also, you can use household items for workouts....half-gallon milk jugs refilled with Water make great weights. Some people use Soup cans, but they do nothing for me.

You could also do squats, lunges, crunches, push-ups....the possibilities are endless. Go old school!

Edited by georgia girl

Have you thought of renting excersize videos at the library or movie place? Even if you rent them for just a couple of days, you'll remember mostly what you can be doing. Have your husband work out with you, it wouldn't hurt him either!! I advertised on craigslist for a used treadmill for less than $200, and was bombarded with emails in my area. Save your $10 a week or whatever and get one this spring!!

That's exactly what I would do - work my way into running.

Its exactly what I DID do. I may not have been restricted budget wise, but I was/am timewise. I love love love running. Put on my shoes, out the door, its done. I love not being dependent on gym timetables and having to get places. I have lots of great running clothes etc but they're not necessary. I ran in old stuff for the first 2 years.

You can do squats, lunges, push ups, core work like planks at home, you can use bottles full of Water as weights, google it, there's SO much you can do.

I personally find it way less of a problem to motivate myself to do this than I do to get to a gym.

I even do aerobic housework, lol. I set the oven timer and race around like an idiot doing stuff, to warm me up before I go out and run.

You can use your computer for some free work outs. I use you tube in the mornings for a quick 10 minute workout. There are lots in there to choose from. Also join the Discovery Channel's 2009 Weight Loss Challenge.There is a scheduled work out daily you can

view.The website is:

http://health.discovery.com/national-body-challenge/fitness-day-view.html

Good Luck!

If you have Comcast, their On Demand channels include one full of exercise videos.

I prefer working out in the gym also but I we got a Wii Fit for Christmas and we love it. I now work out twice a day which is something that I was never able to do and I get up every morning on go for a run. Yes a run via the Wii Fit. It is awesome and I highly recommend it.

Have you thought of renting excersize videos at the library or movie place? Even if you rent them for just a couple of days, you'll remember mostly what you can be doing. Have your husband work out with you, it wouldn't hurt him either!! I advertised on craigslist for a used treadmill for less than $200, and was bombarded with emails in my area. Save your $10 a week or whatever and get one this spring!!

Exactly...I love/hate my treadmill...TV and a remote make the time go fast, and a fan on you really helps (bought mine at costco with both of these built in, but less expensive models and these separate do the same thing). I'm not an outside walker as the weather is only perfect for this a few days of the year here, and the treadmill is much easier than pavement on your joints. I bought a few videos, but renting them at the library or online works great...it's nice to be able to change things up when you're bored. Tracking is my motivation too...the treadmill gives me time, calories, all that and I also enter it onto a website (using my fitness pal, but any will do). It's fun to graph your progress and can keep you accountable with others if you form friendships/fitness buddies online.

Not sure if you will continue to have access to the Internet, but I utilize Sparkpeople.com to log my calories and exercise. Anyway, they have free exercise videos you can play on your computer, some with weights and some without. The web site is free, no charge.

You know I bought DVD's at the dollar store and started popping them in and to my surprise, some are pretty good. The Walk for Fitness is my fav (I am up to the 5 mile advanced workout now-3-4 times a week) and then I order HIP HOP ABS-- a STONG ONE! but results seen first week.

I had reach a plateau, and needed to bust through.. this looks like it is working until I really get to my sweet spot and dont have to work AS hard.

Hang in there!:thumbup:

Edited by CJV