Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much have you lost?

Wow, thank you all ever so much! I see there are many happy bandsters out there.:angry: I am glad that you took the time to answer me. I appreciate it. :thumbup: It makes my decision a bit easier.:cool:

I just got banded on Dec. 18th and it was the best decision I could have made. I have lost 15 lbs. which is fantastic. I am a person who has a terrible time at losing weight. I have had no side effects or anything. My first fill is on Feb. 3 and I am looking forward to that. I have moved up to soft food and don't feel like I'm on a diet - just have to retrain myself to eat slower and take little bites. It's amazing how full you get or how tired you get of chewing (LOL). Good luck on your journey.

Hi: Write a list of Pros and Cons for each. ie. Gastric by-pass is not reversible and has serious side affects but is considered the "gold standard" by the medical profession. Weight loss is generally faster.

Gastric band is reversible and you determine the rate of weight loss. You still must exercise and control eating. Both allow up to one cup of food per meal. From your research, by making the list you may be able to see what will fit your life style.

As for me, I have the Fr. Midband and have lost 79 lbs in 1 year and 11 months. Have lost roughtly 1/2 lb per week steady with only one plateau. I would choose the band again over bypass anytime.

Good luck on your research

Thank you Doddie63. That is a very good idea. The list. The bypass is reversible. Nothing is removed. If medically needs it can be reconnected. A few years ago the bypass was not reversible. The band can become embedded into the stomach and become nearly impossible to remove. I was a nurse and did rotations in the O.R. and saw embedded foreign objects inside the body. They can become encapsulated.

I like the idea of losing at your own pace and being able to not get a fill if you are going on vacation or something. Waiting untill you return to get your fill. That is nice. Also if you become ill, you can get it unfilled to allow you more nutrition. Thank you all for your answers. :grouphug:

I have lost 47 pounds since March of last year. Most of it was early after the surgery. Now I think I need a fill but am waiting for TLBC to train someone closer to my home. Coming to Toronto costs me too much in time and gas.

Still waiting.

Cindy

The bypass I am thinking of (I am not a nurse) the stomach is surgically removed except for a small pouch and the intestines reconnected. How do you reverse that?

Thank you Doddie63. That is a very good idea. The list. The bypass is reversible. Nothing is removed. If medically needs it can be reconnected. A few years ago the bypass was not reversible. The band can become embedded into the stomach and become nearly impossible to remove. I was a nurse and did rotations in the O.R. and saw embedded foreign objects inside the body. They can become encapsulated.

I like the idea of losing at your own pace and being able to not get a fill if you are going on vacation or something. Waiting untill you return to get your fill. That is nice. Also if you become ill, you can get it unfilled to allow you more nutrition. Thank you all for your answers. :grouphug:

The bypass I am thinking of (I am not a nurse) the stomach is surgically removed except for a small pouch and the intestines reconnected. How do you reverse that?

Some bypasses are now reversible, not all are and even if your surgeon uses a reversible technique sometimes with scar tissue etc it is not reversible the body changes as we lose weight and some of those changes do not bode well. From what Dr Yau and I talked about a few months ago when I took my mother in for a consult about the bypass and the sleeve he is seeing more and more of his practice become bypass patients who are getting the band over the bypass to help with adjustability long term

Heather

This is true. I have a friend who was banded in July. She orginally had a gastric by pass. That is how I knew the stomach was surgically removed except for a pouch. I did not know sometimes the stomach is left intact. Another reason to do research and make sure as much knowledge as possible can be attained before making a decision.

Some bypasses are now reversible, not all are and even if your surgeon uses a reversible technique sometimes with scar tissue etc it is not reversible the body changes as we lose weight and some of those changes do not bode well. From what Dr Yau and I talked about a few months ago when I took my mother in for a consult about the bypass and the sleeve he is seeing more and more of his practice become bypass patients who are getting the band over the bypass to help with adjustability long term

Heather

I am a nurse (since 1987) and no the stomach is not removed in RNY bypass. It is removed in duodenal switch and is it stapled in half and part of it is removed in vertical sleeve banding.

The RNY bypass can be reversed but unless there is a serious surgical need, it mostly never is. I suppose if one were to get cancer and need more nutrition long term, RNY bypass can be reversed. Nothing is removed but it would be a difficult procedure. Like tubal ligation can be reversed, not easy but can be done.

I have decided on which surgery to have. I am having RNY bypass on February 12. I start my 2 week slimfast diet on Jan 29. :biggrin:

I wish you the very best in your journey. Thanks for setting the record straight.

I am a nurse (since 1987) and no the stomach is not removed in RNY bypass. It is removed in duodenal switch and is it stapled in half and part of it is removed in vertical sleeve banding.

The RNY bypass can be reversed but unless there is a serious surgical need, it mostly never is. I suppose if one were to get cancer and need more nutrition long term, RNY bypass can be reversed. Nothing is removed but it would be a difficult procedure. Like tubal ligation can be reversed, not easy but can be done.

I have decided on which surgery to have. I am having RNY bypass on February 12. I start my 2 week slimfast diet on Jan 29. :biggrin:

Doddie, you are such a sweetheart. You answer every question and you give great encouragement. The banders should be so glad that you are on their site. I will leave this site now because I wil be having bypass soon. Take great care if yourselves banders and especially you Doddie. God's speed.:biggrin:

Thanks for your kind comments. I try to give accurate information in my answers, but when I don't someone usually comes on and corrects me. This is great, because the person answering the questions instantly knows the correct answer and I have learned something new.

Good luck again. Please post on how you are doing.

Doddie, you are such a sweetheart. You answer every question and you give great encouragement. The banders should be so glad that you are on their site. I will leave this site now because I wil be having bypass soon. Take great care if yourselves banders and especially you Doddie. God's speed.:tt2:

I have lost 125 pounds in 7 months with my band and I have 75 more to do. I would do it again in a heart beat! I'm alive know before I was just surviving!