Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Personal Introduction-Working out my Ideas

Hey everyone...so, I'm thinking about this whole lap band thing. My situation is this: I work a ton, I usually have 4 days off a month...been working on paying down the debt (Dave Ramsey!) and dealing with my constant up and down weight loss battles.

I do really good for 5-6 months, lose around 50-60 pounds and then something changes in my life and my routine fails and BAMM!.........the weight is back on. It's not like I live on pizza and beer. I actually care what I eat, I like working out, swimming, running, doing aerobic classes. I really think my body is just screwed up when it comes to maintaining or losing weight.

Obviously, it's not like I don't eat bad sometimes, because I do...and sometimes I eat too much of something. Does everyone ever feel like your the only one working so darn hard to lose weight, all the time!

Because I do, a lot!

My good friend can order two dinners when we go out and he basically has been within 10 pounds of his current weight since I have known him for the last 6 years. There is just something different about him.

I'm so happy my daughter does not seem to be taking after me. I was always chubby as a kid. And I loved playing sports...football, basketball, tennis, you name it. Most of my pictures growing up, you see me...fat, skinny, fat, skinny...back and forth my whole life.

Now, though, it isn't going to the skinny side anymore.

I'm willing to work hard, I just want to keep it off forever if possible.

Let me know what you think, Have a great new year.

I'm going to a bariatric seminar at my hospital next Wednesday. My wife is a little skeptical right now, understandable though. We'll see what happens.

Good luck with your seminar!

It's well-documented that once you get to a certain weight, your body fights to keep you there. That's why diets fail. "Something" always happens because your body is fighting you.

With WLS you get a fighting chance because you feel satisfied on much less food. That's why it works most of the time.

Are you going to take your wife to the seminar? It might help with her skepticism.

Yep, she is going with me...she understands where I'm coming from...she knows the only way I've ever had success with weightloss is with very intense workouts. Diet alone has never cut it, and I can't always work out at those levels on a consistent basis.

We'll see what happens this Wednesday.

Thanks for the feedback.

Hey good luck to you. The band would probably be very good for you.

I love Dave Ramsey, I have couple of his books and went to see him live. I would love to say that I am debt free and I was there except for the house. However, I did take out a loan for the Lab-Band. To me it was worth it because the band is changing my life and worth every penny. I do not regret in one bit.

Good luck

lucyavery,

Thanks for the support...yeah I love Dave Ramsey too, so him live here in Michigan.

Like I said, I'm willing to work hard, but I hate seeing all my hardwork go down the drains once my routine gets changed around.

I can put weight on like no other!

Thanks though, good luck with your weightloss, keep up the good work!:biggrin:

Just went out and had to get new clothes because my old fat clothes are getting tight...got to love it, I lost 56 pounds and within 6 months put it all back on.

Did the same exact thing the year before and the year before that.

How long is it before you can really start eating normal (not liquid or blended food) after the surgery?

I figure I would have to lose weight prior to the surgery plus the time after the surgery, I probably wouldn't eat anything substantial for over 2 months...does that seem about right?

What do people drink when they want to have an alcoholic beverage...wine?

Just curious.

Current Weight: 326lbs:cursing: Goal: 190lbs:drool:

Best Weight achieved in last 7 years: 270lbs

Just went out and had to get new clothes because my old fat clothes are getting tight...got to love it, I lost 56 pounds and within 6 months put it all back on.

Did the same exact thing the year before and the year before that.

How long is it before you can really start eating normal (not liquid or blended food) after the surgery?

I figure I would have to lose weight prior to the surgery plus the time after the surgery, I probably wouldn't eat anything substantial for over 2 months...does that seem about right?

What do people drink when they want to have an alcoholic beverage...wine?

Just curious.

Current Weight: 326lbs:cursing: Goal: 190lbs:drool:

Best Weight achieved in last 7 years: 270lbs

Hey, your doctor will give you packet on what you can eat and what you can't eat. Follow it and you should be okay.

I can tell that you are really scared of gaining the weight back. I think you are dwelling on that too much. For me, in my mind I do not even consider gaining the weight back, that is just not an option. I see this as my one and only chance to lose the weight and this is MY time. I WILL make it work, no turning back.

keep positive, eat healthy and exercise.

Lucy

lucyavery,

I think I get hung up on gaining the weight back because of the effect it has on everyone around me...When you are losing and feeling good, people are encouraging you and praising your hard work.

Then, when I have gained the weight back, I feel like I let them down as well as myself. It's almost like if I was an alcoholic who keeps falling off the wagon. My friends are supportive but I begin to feel like they just stop saying anything because they figure I'll just gain the weight back.

Pretty much, I'm a mental case with this weight loss. I mean having to go back to the gym after I let myself go and look at the people that were encouraging me and have them see me fail....it just sucks!

The banding is a pretty big step, I just want to know that I'm doing the right thing if I go through with it. Obviously, I have seen people having some real success on the forum here. I'm so sick of food and being hungry...I'm going to the gym tomorrow, need to work out, holidays are over!

Thanks for telling me like it is...and now I have dwelled on the weight gain even more, but maybe now you can see why I worry about it so much.

I had a friend in the Navy, a lady, who said if she gained too much weight she just wouldn't eat until she was back where she wanted to be...I just thought, if it was only that simple. She couldn't understand why I didn't just do what she does.....................................:)

So...I went to the seminar last night at Oakwood Hospital, in Dearborn, Michigan. Everyone seemed really nice....come to find out my wife has babysat for the bariatric surgeon, so that was a little amazing.

I had no idea they even knew each-other.

So the scoop for my insurance, NGS, incase someone is wondering....

1 year documented weightloss with primary physician.

Only have to have office visit every 3 months though.

BMI of 45 or higher, or lower BMI if there are any co-morbities.

So...unfortunately, even though I have been losing and gaining for the last 4 years solid, I will have to go through the whole process again and if I want to go through with the process, I'm looking at a surgery date around March/April 2010:thumbdown:. So, I will just do my normal and try to lose weight again this year and see what happens by January 2010.

Let the weightloss begin!

Well, feel free to hang out here, get to know some people, learn about eating the bandster way---and then you won't have quite such a change when you are ready for surgery!

There is an amazing amount of information available on this site, and while the band helps us with Portion Control in a serious manner, most of us practice healthy eating habits as well, and you can always share in that.

Having a strong support group in place when you head into the surgery is always a plus!!

Welcome to LBT!

Kat

So, I'm participating in my annual weightloss competition here at my hospital....haven't accomplished anything yet:thumbdown:, don't know what I'm waiting for.

I'm getting organized starting today and scheduling my gym time and meal plans...I'm going to have to do the same thing once I have the lapband so I might as well get some good habits going now.

Amazing how winters here in Michigan will suck the life out of you:thumbdown:.......I need sun! Probably need to take up cross country skiing, but I'm trying to pay off those nasty credit cards.

Saw my doctor this past Friday...he was very supportive of the lap band.:thumbup: He emphasized the lapband is a tool and if misused will not accomplish much. But, hey, I was surprised he was so supportive. I thought he would be tougher on me.

So, I have to do some bloodwork:scared2: start working out again.

Go Cardinals by the way....got to love Kurt Warner, what an amazing story!:thumbup: