Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared and in need of some answers

I'm thinking seriously about getting banded, but I have questions about the procedure itself. All the literature states that it's minimally invasive, requires no hospital stay, and is reversible. My questions are: Is it painful? How long do I need to be off work? and How long til I'm 100% healed? If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Any surgery is painful and sore, but the incisions heal quickly. They give you medication while in the hospital. I wanted to stay over night. Then the doctor prescribes tylenol for pain and discomfort. I took two weeks which was plenty enough time for me. Depends what you do for a living. With my position I was active and on my feet most of the day. I think it really depends on the person. Even if I had a desk job, I would think twice. Because sitting totally upright was uncomfortable. And they say it takes a good 6 months to a year to be completely healed. Then again, it depends on you and how you heal. As long as your taking in your Proteins and Vitamins, you should heal fairly quickly. This is only my experience. Good Luck. I will tell you, for me I made the right decision. It does change your life. It feels really great. I've lost 32 pounds so far since Oct 16, 2008.

You're asking questions to which the answers vary greatly, depending on variables like who your surgeon is, how you handle pain, how physically fit you are, and on and on. No one can answer for you; you have to just live through it.

There is a section here called "surgery day stories"...search for that thread. It can give you OODLES of answers. You'll see they are all a little different.

For me? I had very little pain each time. I did not stay overnight at the hospital, although I could have, had I or my surgeon seen the need. I slept on my left side (the side where my port is) the first night, and on my stomach the second. I slept in my own bed from the first night. I took exactly two doses of the prescription pain medication my doctor gave me; otherwise I took liquid tylenol a couple of times. I didn't do this to be brave or to tough it out; I did this because I didn't feel bad. I was able to go back to nursing school on the tuesday after my friday surgery. I think they figure you're pretty healed by 6 weeks. I could lift more than 15 pounds by day 3. I could drive by day 2, which is also when I could shower. I ate the post op plan my doctor prescribed which began with only Clear liquids (water and broth) and progressed to all food by week 6. This allowed my band, my stitches, and so on to heal internally.

I drank 16 ounces of Water BEFORE I left the hospital. I was never nauseated. I had minor soreness and gas pain which was alleviated when got up and moved (around the house, around the block) and a pillow braced over my surgical sites helped me feel secure when standing up, or when in bed, during the first 2 days post op.

For my great experience, you'll find people with the exact opposite...pain, nausea, vomiting, longer hospital stays, gas pain for a week or two, out of work for 2 weeks or more, crying, misery, no hunger, etc.

It's really very very individual!

AND...I wasn't especially physically fit for my surgery, either. When something hurts, I screech! LOL This just didn't cause me that much pain. I have had gum surgery that was worse. But not everyone is that way. In fact, I had really bad sciatica and since going under for the surgery, it hasn't bothered me since! Must've been some WONDERFUl muscle relaxants! LOL I went under easy, woke up fast and feeling good, and have had a good experience all around.

Edited by RestlessMonkey

All I can tell you is based on my surgery. I am sure that each person has had different experiences.

I was required to stay in the hospital one night. Honestly, I felt better staying over night, so that I could rest assure that I would be able to take care of myself at home. If your insurance covers it, then you should do it! Another plus is that the nurses wait on you hand and foot. If you need nausea or pain medication, then they are right there to get you through the worst part.

I am going to be off work for almost 4 weeks. I get State Disability and I have Private disability insurance, as well. State Disability will vary from State to State. My private disability will only cover what the state does not cover.

I could probably push myself and go back to work w/n 2 weeks. I have a really, really stressful job, so I prefer to take it easy and not to hurry back.

Thus far, I have had no complications. I feel that I am getting back to my normal routine... quickly. Minimally invasive? Surgery is Surgery. There are always risks involved.... even worst case scenario (I will omit saying the "d" word). The incisions take about 2 weeks to heal--again depends on your body and how well you take care of the incisions.

Lastly, I would say that success of the surgery has to do with how qualified your surgeon is and what their track record shows. Don't be afraid to do some background work on your Surgeon. It will give you some peace of mind! Second part of success is your dedication to succeeding. You have to be determined to leave behind old habits and learn new ones. Make sure to follow all the surgeons guidelines... this will prevent complications.

Good Luck!

everyone is different, I took my pain meds for only the first day and then the second day. after that I was fine. I slept in my recliner much easier for me. It was hard to lay on either side the first few nights. then i used a pilow on my left side and that went great. I now can sleep on my sides with no pain. I was banded december 19th. Trust me there is honestly nothing to worry about. I had gas pains in my chest that felt horrible but only for 1 day. I just used a gas x strip worked better for me than chewables. I got myself more worked up about the gas pains than what was necessary. But we are all different. My incisions are looking beautiful... almost all healed on the outside...

goodluck to you let me know how things are going anytime

julie