Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting prepared!

Hows everyone doing getting prepared for the big day? I went shopping the other day and bought some things for post op. My Doc was nice enough to give me a list of things I may need. I must say it sinks in real fast when your buying all that stuff. I still feel unprepared but thank god I have a Lap Band buddy here in town who was banded in Nov. so she helps me a lot. So again, hows it going getting ready?

I already packed up my Gas-x, lip balm, one comfy "easy access" gown, those oh-so-glamorous slipper socks:wink2:, and a small pillow.

Because I have severe sleep apnea and I take blood thinners, the hospital insists on keeping me overnight. They did apologize for my inconvenience. LOL!

Today is the day I stop taking my Warfarin. I've been on the first phase of the pre-op diet since Friday, and while it's not easy, it does ease me into the final liquid phase starting Wednesday. Yes, I'm hungry and somewhat uncomfortable, but the tiny increments of discomfort now will mean less problems on those final two days instead of total starvation. (wry smile)

For me, the true discomfort begins on Wednesday morning. That's when I have the first of at least two Lovonox injections (and one Heparin the day of surgery). I'm needle phobic, so my husband has graciously volunteered to jab me. I'm more worried about those injections than the pre-op diet, to be honest.

Has anyone else been using SavingDinner.com to get the low-carb menus and grocery lists? They've been very helpful and I'll miss the delicious foods while my body recovers. Even my picky DH likes most of the recipes.

Lena

I go to my doctor's today for my preop appointment. My surgery is in two weeks and I haven't even thought about what I needed after surgery other than my Isopure and comfy pajamas. You all gave me lots of questions to ask my surgeon.

I have sf Jello, broth, Protein mixes, pain medicine. gas-x and a small pillow. I think I am all ready so my dh won't need to do to much for me. I am hoping I got everything I need but I am sure I might be missing something.

Oh, shoot. Forgot to pull out the liquid Tylenol. Thanks for the reminder.

Lena

Hows everyone doing getting prepared for the big day? I went shopping the other day and bought some things for post op. My Doc was nice enough to give me a list of things I may need. I must say it sinks in real fast when your buying all that stuff. I still feel unprepared but thank god I have a Lap Band buddy here in town who was banded in Nov. so she helps me a lot. So again, hows it going getting ready?

can you tell us what is on your list? Im getting banded on January 6th, and my doctor did not have a list for me...just told me to bring my personal effects! I bought liquid tylenor, Gas X, Protein powder and liquid Meal Replacements...is there anything else I will need besides the basics, pj's, toothbrush, slippers?

weight.png

I was banded 12/3 and I wanted to share what I needed the most after surgery. All of the things you have listed where on my list as well. Before I was banded I drank a lot of liquids, and I drank them fast. I read somewhere that after surgery someone used a sippy cup....OMG that helped so much!!! Playtex has a sippy cup that looks a lot like a travel coffee mug that I got at Wal-Mart. This was my best investment by far!! I used that cup for about a week, and it really taught me to take small sips instead of big gulps of liquid. My first day post-op I did not use the cup, and I ended up taking too big of a drink and this caused severe pain. After that I started using the cup and it helped so much!

Good luck with your surgeries! Getting banded was the best decision I have ever made!

can you tell us what is on your list? Im getting banded on January 6th, and my doctor did not have a list for me...just told me to bring my personal effects! I bought liquid tylenor, Gas X, Protein powder and liquid meal replacements...is there anything else I will need besides the basics, pj's, toothbrush, slippers?

This is my own list, and may not apply to you.

Overnight in Hospital

1. Gas-x

2. Toothbrush/toothpaste

3. Lip Balm (Anesthesia dehydrates me)

4. Hand cream

6. Comfy loose clothes to go home in, like drawstring pants

7. Undies and sports bra

8. Robe suitable for walking the halls and slippers

9. Watch to clip to bed rails

10. Glasses case

11. Cell phone and charger

12. Small pillow

13. CPAP machine

14. Fanny pack to lock on bed rails to hold all my small items like the lip balm and cell phone

15. Spiral log book **This is my own need. I know from personal experience that anesthesia messes with my memory. I bring my log book (like a daytimer, but larger) so I can write down when I got meds, what the doc said, and who came to visit so I can thank them later. **

The sippy cup is a darn smart idea. I'm adding that to my shopping list. Gosh knows I slug down a lot of drink during the day, and I'm used to big swallows.

Lena

Sippy cup?! Thats genius!

My doctors list is:

~Gas X ( I bought the dissolving strips)

~Liquid Multivitamin (I found Centrum in a liquid)

~SF popsicles (for dry throat)

~SF Jello

~Broth

~SF beverages (I prefer water)

~Protein drinks

~Mini spoons to help you eat smaller (Im buying a baby spoon)

~Beneprotien ( I found this on my own. Its has no taste and even better NO SMELL! 5g of Protein in each serving so great to add to yogurt of water)

STAGE 2 ITEMS

~Food processor

~Eggs, tuna, canned chicken, low fat mayo

~Cream Soups

~SF pudding

~Oatmeal

~Instant mashed potatoes

~Yogurt

I still have a few small things to pick up as far as food but I am well stocked for now. Oh and my DVR is loading with good things to watch during down times. :party:

~Mini spoons to help you eat smaller (Im buying a baby spoon)

~Beneprotien ( I found this on my own. Its has no taste and even better NO SMELL! 5g of Protein in each serving so great to add to yogurt of water)

I still have a few small things to pick up as far as food but I am well stocked for now. Oh and my DVR is loading with good things to watch during down times. :party:

Bella, you're a genius yourself. I would have never thought of using baby and toddler utensils, though I did find some tiny china plates and demitasse cups so my plate will look "full."

Where'd you find the Beneprotein?

I joined Netflix when I had my hysterectomy and it was a godsend. I set up the movies I wanted to see but DH hates and had myself a movie festival watching documentaries, BBC, chick flicks, and Disney with my grandchildren. On my way out for my morning walk, I dropped the used DVD in the mailbox. Easy as could be. Long as I didn't watch all of them in one day and rotated through, I had something new to watch almost daily.

Lena

Thanks, Bella. I'll definitely pop over to take a look.

I'm already loving the new sippy cup.

Lena

Orcidgrl,

you and I are getting banded the same day! 1/06/09. :confused: I am so excited I can hardly stand it. I wasn't even this excited before my hysterectomy! I will only be in the hosp. for a few hours so I'm not bringing anything there. but I have been stocking up on movies, computer games and books for my recovery week. I have my shakes and Soups and baby food all ready to go. I don't know what the gas-x is for can someone tell me? Will I get gassy? :cursing:

I hope not....I'm glad there is this support group so we can all learn from eachother!

They pump gas into your abdomen to have room to do the surgery. Then you'll have gas pains for awhile after the surgery until all the gas goes away. That's why they say get Gas-x. They come in dissolving strips to make it easier for you.

Wow, thanks for letting me know about that. I don't know why I hadn't heard that. Anyway that's what I mean about this forum -helping eachother. I took Monday the 5th off work so I could get everything done before the knock out date. I wish you well Stephanie. I understand being pessimistic -it's saves you from dissapointment. I'll be praying that everything goes well for you that day.

4 DAYS TO GO!