Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

From band to bypass???

I would like to know if anyone out there has considered, researched, or had a "revision" from the lap-band to the gastric bypass. I have had VERY poor results with the band - AND YES I KNOW THE BAND IS ONLY A TOOL, AND YOU HAVE TO MAKE LIFESTYLE CHANGES TO ALLOW IT TO WORK; but guess what? I don't think the band is/was for me. I truly think that I need something drastic to make me change. If I am given an inch, I WILL take a mile, no matter what I do. And, this is just what I've done since being banded. I have been banded for 19 months and haven't lost any weight to speak of. I have lost and gained the same 5 pounds since May of 2007. I know what I am supposed to do and eat - it's not that I'm uneducated, I guess, it's that I wasn't ready to make the change, even though I thought I was. I was and still am SOOOO tired of being fat. I don't even want to get out of bed each day, because I don't have anything that fits and I don't want to go anywhere where someone might see me. I have a semi-supportive family, my husband doesn't say anything one way or the other, my kids tell me I look good, even though I know I don't. I am so confused - I have a constant battle with myself every single day. I have thought about the gastric bypass off and on for the last 6 months. I know it's very risky, and that's what scares me the most; however, I have already had 3 back surgeries, and am certainly headed for more, if I don't lose this weight. I am 5'6" tall and weigh 240 pounds. I look and feel like hell. I keep praying, asking God to help me. I don't have diabetes, high BP, or sleep apnea. Does anyone have any suggestions, besides reiterating the lap-band rules to me AGAIN?:biggrin::scared2:

I wish I could be positive, but if you can't follow the rules for Lap Band, GBP is not going to be any better, in fact you are likely to stretch that pouch and regain all of your weight plus more and have nutritional deficiencies. Do you have fills in your band?

I agree with the above. You can certainly lose weight easily and faster with bypass but you can also regain the weight. It would make more sense to see if you can deal with your food issues before you decide to do another surgery, maybe with couseling you can even make the band start working for you. Does your surgeon have a counselor in his office that you can talk to?

Thank you for your honesty. And, you're exactly right - what makes me think that I can succeed with any kind of WLS, if I can't follow the lap band rules?? I guess, I was just thinking of all the poor choices I make as far as food and drink, and I thought maybe if I had physical side effects with them (such as the "dumping syndrome") that I would quit consuming them. I am soooo confused, frustrated, disappointed, depressed. Just when I think I am on the right track, I screw up, AGAIN. I have 2.5 cc in my 4 cc band. I have to go back in a couple of weeks to have the Fluid taken out and measured because I was supposed to have 4 cc in it, but I had lost ALL restriction, so I went in for a check. And, they discovered that I was 2.5 cc short of what I should have had (only had 1.5 cc in the band) so they put that back in, plus 1.0 cc. So they're trying to determine if there is a leak, or if it was a careless fill?? They're leaning more towards a careless fill, because they had good "vacuum" when they were pulling the fluid out. I haven't had any real big set backs (small unfill last Dec. due to persistent vomiting), and then the recent loss of restriction which allowed me to eat like a horse again - and because I have no will power, I did just that! I just wish I could get back on the band wagon. I feel like I'm trying, but my heart tells me I'm not. You would think that as unhappy as I am with myself, I would be making whatever changes it takes - but I'm not...WHY? I haven't ever seen a counselor for my eating habits, but I'm thinking that it wouldn't hurt. Thanks for listening - I know I sound like a hopeless cause, because that's what I feel like.

You are absolutely not a hopeless cause. Everyone here has food issues, if we didn't we wouldn't be here. Sounds like you do have some band issues to work out. In my experience when at restriction, the band won't let me overdo it. I just have to struggle with not eating between meals and it is really hard sometimes. If there is anthing I can do to help, please let me know.

Edited by Jodi_620

Honey, love yourself. You owe it to your future self not to sabatoge your health by emotional eating. If you don't feel the motivation to eat right or exercise, fake it till you make it. It takes around 21 days to establish a habit and once you get there you will feel so good about yourself and proud of your choices... you should also start seeing results and getting compliments, which will further motivate you to keep it up. You can and will do it, you just have to decide when it's time to start living :smile:

And that was my Dr. Phil moment :()

I can't thank you enough for giving me inspirational advice. It's so tough - but everyone on this site knows that. My story is no different; however, I wish you could buy willpower! I did a lot of thinking last night - didn't lead to any exercise, yet, but it's a start. I know exactly what I need to do - make healthier choices, drink more Water, and move my butt! Keep me in your thoughts and prayers, if you will. Thanks again and Happy Holidays.