Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I got banded two week ago, and I've been back on (mostly) solids for about a week now. I've been doing *fantastic* for the most part. I had a on incident where I thought I was hungry, but it was too soon to eat (I couldn't finish the apple I was eating, and felt a little icky) but for the most part I have it pretty down. The pouch takes some getting used to!

Today, I had my first icky band problem. I had taken a nice long walk to the supermarket, and while there, I bought some of those pre-cooked chicken legs that they keep under warming lights (they're very yummy). I figured my grandmother and I could have them for lunch and dinner, so she didn't need to cook.

However, I screwed up eating mine. I think I a) didn't get all the skin off, and :thumbup: ate too fast and didn't chew thoroughly, because it all came back up. Ick. It was *not* a good experience, and hopefully I won't screw up and do that again! I'd had chicken before, so I didn't think I'd have a problem with it...but I was so hungry after my walk I fell into the 'wolfing things down' pattern.

I had some yogurt, and when dinner/real hunger rolled around, I tried again, and did ok.

I got banded two week ago, and I've been back on (mostly) solids for about a week now. I've been doing *fantastic* for the most part. I had a on incident where I thought I was hungry, but it was too soon to eat (I couldn't finish the apple I was eating, and felt a little icky) but for the most part I have it pretty down. The pouch takes some getting used to!

Today, I had my first icky band problem. I had taken a nice long walk to the supermarket, and while there, I bought some of those pre-cooked chicken legs that they keep under warming lights (they're very yummy). I figured my grandmother and I could have them for lunch and dinner, so she didn't need to cook.

However, I screwed up eating mine. I think I a) didn't get all the skin off, and :smile2: ate too fast and didn't chew thoroughly, because it all came back up. Ick. It was *not* a good experience, and hopefully I won't screw up and do that again! I'd had chicken before, so I didn't think I'd have a problem with it...but I was so hungry after my walk I fell into the 'wolfing things down' pattern.

I had some yogurt, and when dinner/real hunger rolled around, I tried again, and did ok.

Did i read you right ? You were banded 2 weeks ago and your on solids already ? The fact that you PBed 2 weeks post op or not , I would be on liquids for a day or so .

Im baffled at the fact that your on solids already .

that amazes me .

Mindy

I went back to the doctor 10 days after surgery, (I was banded 12/1, went to the follow up 12/10) where we went over what we could and couldn't try. , and the nutritionist said as long as I took it easy I could try what I felt comfortable trying. I only try one new thing a day, in case something doesn't work I'll know what it is.

I've been sticking to softer solids for the most part, just to be safe. (Breakfast is oatmeal, and maybe half a banana) I'd had chicken before, so I didn't think I'd have an issue.

I went back to the doctor 10 days after surgery, (I was banded 12/1, went to the follow up 12/10) where we went over what we could and couldn't try. , and the nutritionist said as long as I took it easy I could try what I felt comfortable trying. I only try one new thing a day, in case something doesn't work I'll know what it is.

I've been sticking to softer solids for the most part, just to be safe. (Breakfast is oatmeal, and maybe half a banana) I'd had chicken before, so I didn't think I'd have an issue.

No offense to you but im baffled at Solids 2 weeks post op .

chicken is an "iffy" food for some bandsters all around. So I would probably stay away from it . Your probably swollen now and I again would go on liquids for at least 24 hours. That's what my doc recommends and most do .

But every doc is different.

Mindy

Did i read you right ? You were banded 2 weeks ago and your on solids already ? The fact that you PBed 2 weeks post op or not , I would be on liquids for a day or so .

Im baffled at the fact that your on solids already .

that amazes me .

Mindy

I

I am 2 wks post op as well M and I am on solids (soft) as well. I was

"Semi Solid " foods or Mushies are TOTALLY different than eating a pieice of chicken .

I mean really ... If a doc was not very clear , then he needs to be MORE CLEAR !

Meaning I think some docs say " introduce solids slowly" They do not make it clear what that means or what food is "ok" .

Its a dangerous thing.

2 weeks post op in my opinion is just WAY too soon for Solid solid food like chicken !

Mindy

Mindy, it is well known that every surgeon has their own set of guidelines. If she was told by her surgeon and nutritionist she could try new foods, who are we to question it? If she was told it was okay, how would she know it was not??There's no need to get uppity about it. Obviously chicken didn't work for her and I doubt she'll be eating it for dinner tonight. One can help someone make better choices without three posts of being flabbergast.

Mindy, it is well known that every surgeon has their own set of guidelines. If she was told by her surgeon and nutritionist she could try new foods, who are we to question it? If she was told it was okay, how would she know it was not??There's no need to get uppity about it. Obviously chicken didn't work for her and I doubt she'll be eating it for dinner tonight. One can help someone make better choices without three posts of being flabbergast.

I was NOT being "Uppity" I was simply saying that some docs do not make it clear what is SOLID and what is not.

"Semi" Solids and Solids can be a grey area , and i dont know if it was in this case but if docs just say " Here just TRY Thing" that's dangerous im sorry . They should be more specific and say " start off slowly w/ more soft foods"

Im sorry if im a little taken back by someone being on solids after 2 weeks , its not the "norm" !

But Im FAR FROM UPPITY !

Ok Lets try this again since its been pointed out that i was being "Uppity"

If my other posts seemed unhelpful to the OP that was not my intention. Obviously everyone should follow doctors orders , If you read some of my other posts im a HUGE believer of following doctors oders. HUGE , that's a big " peeve" of mine to not follow them .

My "flabbergastedness" was towards the doc not towards the OP.

I understand everyone has different orders my point was solids that soon is not the norm, look on here look on most manufacturer's of the bands info its just not the norm.

NOW that being said..... To the Original poster.....

Some info that might help

1. I would call your doc let him know that you did have issues w/ chicken just to make him aware and that you did PB 2 weeks out of surgery . So that later on if you do have a problem he's aware of the issue.

2. While your on the phone w/ the doc ask him if he suggests anything for when you DO PB , now and in the future. My doc recommends several days of liquids then work up to solid foods.

3. It sounds like in your post you know what you did to "cause' the PB . That being said, its a hard thing to get use to and lots of things to change at once.

4. Try to remmber the rules the best you can and eat slowly and take small bites.

5. I eat , still do actually off of toddler plates and forks at my house. its helps me control the bites i put in my mouth .

That might help your eye get use to the sizes ?

I Hope that was more helpful

MIndy

All these doctors and the different rules are very confusing. And in my case, when the doctor and the nutritionist do not agree, it is really difficult. My doctor had me eating regular food 3 weeks post op. He readily admits this is not the norm. They have a generic protocol and then he adjusts accordingly. I was on the "doing extremely well" end of things. That being said, I am almost 3 months post op and it is still trial and error. Had a really bad experience a few days for forgetting to chew, chew, chew. I went too long between eating and was hungry, wolfed down my food and my little pouch did not like all that food in it. It hurt like all the bejeebeez and then .... well, the food did not stay there. If they ever get a standard protocol it will make life much easier. But I don't think it is going to happen anytime soon.

All these doctors and the different rules are very confusing. And in my case, when the doctor and the nutritionist do not agree, it is really difficult. My doctor had me eating regular food 3 weeks post op. He readily admits this is not the norm. They have a generic protocol and then he adjusts accordingly. I was on the "doing extremely well" end of things. That being said, I am almost 3 months post op and it is still trial and error. Had a really bad experience a few days for forgetting to chew, chew, chew. I went too long between eating and was hungry, wolfed down my food and my little pouch did not like all that food in it. It hurt like all the bejeebeez and then .... well, the food did not stay there. If they ever get a standard protocol it will make life much easier. But I don't think it is going to happen anytime soon.

I agree i dont think the standard protcol will happen .

And for what its worth im a yr and a half out and i STILL forget to chew and eat fast . The chewing is the hardest part for me. I still have issues w/ it . Its the one thing that I practiced the most before surgery and i still cant get down.

You think " Ok that's enough " and its not .

As for food. The food , and what you can and can not eat "trial and error" is just what it is . BUT its for some ( Like me ) and can be on a daily basis. As you have your band longer you will get to "know" it . And you will know " OH today nothing too solid for me " But the next day you can eat anything . But that does take some trial and error !

So its can be a guessing game !>

Hang in there.

Mindy

LOL! Mindy Uppity? Nawww, she's anything but that.

It's totally fair for someone to question this considering the band manufacturer is quite clear about the post op diet.

Here are the instructions from Allergan:

liquid Diet (1-2 weeks post-surgery)

• Your goal during the first few weeks is to protect the small stomach pouch so that you can heal properly. It can only tolerate thin liquids at this time. It's also important to stay hydrated by drinking lots of Water (small amounts at a time).
  • Other liquids recommended during this phase include:

pureed Foods (3-4 weeks post-surgery)

• Now, you can start adding slightly textured foods. Think of the consistency of baby foods. This stage will help you transition to more solid foods later.
  • Protein is very important for maintaining muscle while you lose weight. So, you should eat protein-rich foods first, and then move on to fruits and vegetables.
  • Foods in this stage may include:
    • pureed skinless chicken or fish
    • mashed potatoes
    • peas
    • low-fat yogurt or pudding

[*]Please note: In the first few weeks you may be able to eat foods that might not be allowed in your diet later, because they may contain too many calories.

[*]Remember, it's more important in the first few weeks to let your stomach adjust to the LAP-BAND® System than it is to lose weight. Also, your personal timing and progression into each dietary phase depends on your progress. In general, when it comes to your nutrition, you should follow the advice of your surgeon and/or dietitian.

Soft Foods (5 weeks post-surgery)

• Your meals can now include tender, cooked foods like fish and ground turkey.
  • Now that you can chew, make it a habit to chew foods well.
  • If you have dentures, be sure to cut your food into small pieces and chew your food thoroughly. By not chewing properly, you may experience vomiting, stomach irritation and swelling. You could also have stoma obstruction (obstruction of the stomach opening created by the LAP-BAND® System).
  • Some products like bread, red meat, and rice may still cause you problems, so it is better to eat softer foods that are easier to digest. These might include foods such as moist white meat (chicken or pork) and fish.
  • If solid foods cause any nausea and vomiting, go back to the liquid diet you had earlier. Then you can slowly add soft foods and eventually transition to solid foods.
  • Always ask your doctor or dietitian for advice that is specific to you. Again, remember that vomiting may increase the incidence of band slippage, stomach slippage, or stretching of the small stomach pouch above the LAP-BAND®.

Your First Adjustment

The first adjustment usually occurs about six weeks after surgery, although the exact time varies from patient to patient. The LAP-BAND® System is designed to help you achieve steady and safe weight loss, so don't be in a hurry. You and your surgeon will decide when the time is right for you to have your first adjustment.

Did you know that since US docs began changing the post op diet slip stats have *more* than doubled?

I think Mindy had every justification in the world to clarify her position, don't you?