Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

United Healthcare

Hi everyone!

I went to my first appointment today and found out my insurance requirements (I have United Healthcare Choice Plus) -- 40 BMI or 35-39 BMI with two comorbidities, and 5 year health history with 40 BMI. Today when I weighed I was at 40.5, and I know I was not that high through the last 5 years, although I am sure I was above 35.

The only comorbidity I have is hypertension although they told me the insurance might not count it b/c I am not on meds. I am scheduled for a sleep study which might diagnose me with sleep apnea.

Anyone think I have any chance of getting my insurance to approve? Thanks!

i also have united healthcare choice plus (through wells fargo). i didn't have to jump through very many hoops and was approved! i am scheduled for surgery tomorrow morning actually. if you have any other questions, feel free to send me a message.

i have spent most of the last 5 years around 35 or so BMI. all they needed was one recorded weight at or above 40 BMI, which i had. i have no other co morbid conditions and am otherwise healthy.

I also have United Health Care. I work for one of the major railroads. It was a breeze for me. I went in for my initial consultation on 09/15/08 and was banded on 12/04/08. I had to do all of the regular hoop jumps. ie. Phych evaluation, cardio and general pre physical. I did have type II diabetes and high blood pressure that I was taking meds for both.

I also have UHC and was approved quickley. If you have everything in place you should do fine. I have an example of a letter that I used to get approved. DO you have any back and knee problems? You can use this. Also any family problems and issues you can aslo use this as well. If you e-mail I will forward you the letter. Good Luck andy questions just ask.

Chris

WOW you all are encouraging my insurance changes on 1/1/09 to UHC and I've been concerned about their requirements and coverage. My Dr's office said it maybe very easy after I switch but I've been holding off on a lot of my out of pocket expenses....

Thanks again.....

I was just on the phone with the hospital that I'd get my procedure done at to schedule my evaluations and they said that they are having trouble getting inpatient approval for the procedure from UHC. Outpatient no problem but they keep everyone over night so all of their bands are inpatient. They are in negations with UHC to resolve it.

Has anyone had such an issue?

J.T.

I have United too. The co-morbidities are pretty easy as I have just been approved. I have osteo arthritis in the knees, and I bet anyone over 40 who has been overwieght has that one too! I do not have high blood pressure, but I have had back surgery and my ortho surgeon has been so supportive in helping me. I bet you are approved without much trouble. Good Luck. I do not have a date yet, but I am expecting to find out this coming week!

Congrats on getting approved Juls! I hope I don't have any problems. I complete everything I need to do on my end this Friday, and my PCP should be sending my records over late this week or early next week and they will submit to insurance. I hope I hear back pretty quickly!

I have UHC and didn't have any problems (after submitting the huge packet of information w/ my dr.'s help.)

Good luck to you!

I also have United Healthcare Point of Service (must be in network). I called today to see what their requirements are. I was told BMI of 40 or over for at least 2 years (documented) or BMI of 35-39 with a co-morbidity such as high BP, asthma, sleep apnea. If I meet these I have to have a 6 month diet/nutrition consult before surgery.

I've never been happier than right now to say I meet the BMI of 40 or over for 2 years, I also have PCOS, and sleep apnea with a CPAP machine.

The gal told me I could make an appointment with my Primary Dr. for a consult and referral. I'm over the moon excited that this might be the year that I can make serious improvements in my health! :wink_smile:

I was told BMI of 40 or over for at least 2 years (documented) or BMI of 35-39 with a co-morbidity such as high BP, asthma, sleep apnea. If I meet these I have to have a 6 month diet/nutrition consult before surgery. :thumbup:

We have UHC Chioce Plus and my surgeon’s office called me today and told me the samething but my 6 months of certified overweight does not need to be consecutive. Just 6 months over the last 2 years. I have my last weigh in whit my Dr. 1/16 (if that's true) called and set up Psych and Nutrition for 1/19 then my packet can go in. After approval I need Pulimnary and Cardio clearance and then I can get'er done......:thumbup:

We have UHC Chioce Plus and my surgeon’s office called me today and told me the samething but my 6 months of certified overweight does not need to be consecutive. Just 6 months over the last 2 years. I have my last weigh in whit my Dr. 1/16 (if that's true) called and set up Psych and Nutrition for 1/19 then my packet can go in. After approval I need Pulimnary and Cardio clearance and then I can get'er done......:thumbup:

Congrats! I hope everything goes smoothly and you're able to get your approval and surgery soon. I look forward to hearing your updates! :)

I am also using United Healthcare and I had to wait for 1/1/09 for my benefits to change from Choice to Choice Plus. I was approved in six days. My BMI is 39, but I have a family history of heart disease, and I have osteo arthritis in my knees. Seemed to be enough for the insurance company. My banding date is now 2/24. Hooray!

I am also using United Healthcare and I had to wait for 1/1/09 for my benefits to change from Choice to Choice Plus. I was approved in six days. My BMI is 39, but I have a family history of heart disease, and I have osteo arthritis in my knees. Seemed to be enough for the insurance company. My banding date is now 2/24. Hooray!

WOW!!! that's great congratulations....

I have a family history of heart disease (my brother died of heart attack at 43) already have 2 stints my self, HBP, high chol, sleep apnea......

I hope I have a good chance for approval..just need that last Dr's visit.

I was so happy to find this thread. I also have UHC choice plus and I was a little concerned about whether or not I would be approved.

My BMI is 35.1 and I have PCOS,

I had gestational diabetes with both my pregnancy's and

my paternal grandmother and father both had diabetes. (both died in their early 60's)

I also have documentation for the past 6 years for weight loss consults through my PCP's office (he has had me on every prescription drug out there and none of them worked) but I dont think my BMI was over 35 everytime I went.

My sugar level is very close right now to putting me in the diabetic catagory and I'm really hoping that I can get my insurance to approve the lap band.

Dose anyone know if I have enough "stuff" to get this approved?