Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats so great about Lapband over conventional dieting/excersize??

I've been doing a little research into Lapband surgery for the last couple days. Correct me if Im wrong...

What I've learned is that for Lapband to be successful you must use your own will power and restraint, when it comes to eating. And you should excersize.

Isnt that what Lapband is suppose to do? Eliminate the "will power" factor, the one thing that has prevented a good number of us from losing AND keeping weight off in the first place??

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but if I cant lose weight by diet and excersize, why should I expect to lose weight with the lapband if Im expected to follow a strict diet and excersize?

I appreciate any input.

Thanks.

Nick

All I can tell you is I dieted and exercised for 3 years before I got the band and never lost an ounce. I went to the gym 6 days a week during that 3 years.

I think the difference is with the band, you are forced to eat small portions and can't go back for seconds if you feel like cheating on your diet.

Look, it does and it doesnt eliminate the willpower factor. If you really cant choose a healthy diet and cut out a lot of the crap, you're not going to be very successful with a lapband. Mind you, you may still lose a fair bit of weight, but you're unlikely to lose all of your excess.

But when you're not starving hungry all the time and when a little bit of something satisifies you, that cuts you some leeway. For example: fish and chips is a common take out food here in Australia -battered and deep fried fish, hot chips (thick french fries), potato cakes (battered and fried potato fritters) and fried dim sims, not to mention the great Aussie classic, the chiko roll! I wont even try to explain what that is. I used to easily eat a piece of battered flake (shark) - which was huge, 2 potato cakes, a dim sim and a heaping of chips - easily 1500 calories, if not more and easily about 70 or 80 grams of fat.

These days I try to avoid fish and chips. But if I eat them, i can get through about 1/3 of a piece of flake and about five or six chips, maybe 300 calories worth. It simply doesnt do the damage it did. I took my son down to get some Mcdonalds for lunch the other day (special treat) and much as I felt like something, its not worth it. I cant eat it, it wont go down, it makes me feel sick. No willpower required and I walk out of Maccas empty handed.

I used to love my wine, but it can burn my stomach and cause reflux. A small glass is about as much as I can tolerate. 100 calories instead of 300 for three glasses.

I dont cut out any foods, dont do the high Protein thing, eat entirely normally, mostly good foods, sometimes treats but i cant eat a lot and do a lot of damage. If I fall off the wagon and eat poorly for weeks, I dont gain weight. I feel crap and down on myself, but no weight gain.

If I chose, i could fill the between meal hours with Cookies, ice cream and chocolate, all of which are easy to eat and dont fill you. I choose not to.

I also choose to run for an hour a day or do circuit training. The band doesnt help with that. You do have to have some internal conviction and motivation. But you wouldnt be considering WLS if you werent ready to dig deep and find that.

Well said jachut....I eat crap most days but I do work out and like jachut said u can't eat a lot of crap at 1x...so I've lost most of my weight I'm now a normal bmi...and I've learned to count my calories and I don't feel starved all day everyday...

I agree with Jachut completely. I was banded in April and have lost 80 lbs without any substantial exercise. I'm not happy about that, but it is a fact. I've always been a great dieter. I've counted more Weight Watchers points than you can ever imagine, but 6 months or so into every diet, I get sick of it. I hit a plateau and I start piling on all the old weight. With the band I have something to stop me. I go to parties and I eat a third of what I used to. I don't follow a strict eating plan, but many things I loved don't taste as good as they used to. I can't explain it exactly, but bread and Pasta feel different with the band and I find myself avoiding them, even though I can eat them without a problem.

One more thing... I love the fact that's adjustable. Right now, my band is pretty loose. I figure I'll eat a little extra over the holidays, but I've got a fill scheduled for 12/29. Knowing that I'll be right back on track by New Years helps me to stay focused and not backslide. My goal is to start exercising in the New Year and to have 100 lbs gone by my Bandiversary.

I've been doing a little research into Lapband surgery for the last couple days. Correct me if Im wrong...

What I've learned is that for Lapband to be successful you must use your own will power and restraint, when it comes to eating. And you should excersize.

Isnt that what Lapband is suppose to do? Eliminate the "will power" factor, the one thing that has prevented a good number of us from losing AND keeping weight off in the first place??

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but if I cant lose weight by diet and excersize, why should I expect to lose weight with the lapband if Im expected to follow a strict diet and excersize?

I appreciate any input.

Thanks.

Nick

I find that with the band I am SATISFIED AND FULL with less food. I choose to eat a smaller amount by putting a smaller amount on my plate. What the band does is guarantees I am full on that amount. I could probably cram more if I wanted to, but it would be very uncomfortable and possibly make me sick. Now when I eat pizza, I eat 1 small piece instead of three. I eat 1 chicken tender instead of 4. Total each day I consume 1000-1500 calories and I am never HUNGRY. That is the difference.

I still have to make good choices most of the time, because many foods like Cookies, chips and icecream slide right through. Most people who eat the slider foods have a band that is too tight. It is all about getting fills and making sure the band is adjusted correctly. I am not currently exercising, but I will in the next 3 months, because that is probably what it will take to continue to lose and for me to feel better. (plus I will be recuperated from my next surgery on the 22nd).

The band is not for everyone. My dad has seen my success with it, but it would not be a wise choice for him. He is a better candidate for bypass.

This is how my Doctor explained it....

Its like a tri pod effect. All of us have been on diets forever, we do the regular diet and exercise which statistics show most people loose about 15-20 pounds which later returns. He said diet and exercise are crucial to the success of the band, but without all 3 components, the tripod will fall over.

When I went to my seminar one woman said, "You said that if we get the Lap Band removed, that all of our weight will be gained back" and she asked why. He then said that is because the band is actually doing something.

When I went for my consult they explained what the band actually does. It creates a very small stomach which in turn can only hold a small amount of food. The band itself is inflated with saline to create the passage way for the food to leave your small pouch pretty narrow which makes the food stay in your stomach longer creating a sense of fullness longer. Which makes you less apt to eat more.

No I am just a beginer here so if someone else can add to what i said or can clafiy anything feel free!

I'm going to give you the other side of what everyone is saying and may not be too popular but its honest.

I was banded last Feb and lost 50 pounds almost immediatly -- but since then I have gained back 15# and while I can't eat quite as much as I did pre-surgery, I can still eat enough to gain weight. Ice cream, most candy bars and corn chips still go down easily, for me Potato chips do not. Frankly the last couple months I have pretty much given up. I did decide to get another fill (my 5th) in hopes it will help.

Frankly I think if you are extremly overweight (ie have more than 200# to loose - and I was over 450# when I started) the lap band is not the choice to make. If I could do it all over again I would do gastric bypass. I am somewhat pissed off at my surgeon for not pushing for the more drastic bypass surgery, but then -- would I have listened?

My wife who only had 100# to lose has lost 85# since March, but she was much more disiplined than I am.

I guess bottom line for me at least is, if you are not willing to change your habits/lifestyle you might as well save the money -- the lapband is only a tool.

Edited by mnn2501

You know, you are right. If you are not willing to make a life change and eat different food. The lap band will not help you much. It will just keep you from gaining as much weight has you would without it. Even if you had bypass...you can still eat the wrong things and not loose as much weight and you can gain weight with by pass to, i watched a relative do it.

I can only echo what everyone else has said. I don't follow any diet (high Protein, etc...). Losing weight, no matter which method you use to do it, is simple math-burn more calories than you take in. The band helps by forcing you to take in smaller amounts. For example before the band I would eat a 20 piece chicken mcnuggets, large fry, large coke. Now I eat maybe 6 nuggets and I'm about to burst. I also don't drink soda...not as hard to give up as I thought it would be.

Everyone tells you that you need to use your own will power and have strength for the lap band to work. You CAN eat through it, and you CAN get fat again. But having the band in place honestly just helps in your weak moments.

Say you're on a low carb diet. Sure you'll lose weight, until you have a "cheat" day and say "oh only one peice of pizza won't hurt." Then you end up gaining it all back because you never get back on the wagon again.

With the band, you physically CAN'T do that. You can't have off days, you can't binge or you will become physically sick.

I have had it for only a week, but honestly I thought I would have more cravings for stuff. I don't really at all. I feel full all the time, so I don't really want to "cheat." Plus, I WANT the band to work, so I am more likely to eat good things instead of crap.

Thanks for all the comments guys/gals. I really appreciate it. I am very analytical so I will keep doing more research.

You should go to one of the seminars, there is usually a Q&A section. You should ask every single question you have!

Frankly I think if you are extremely overweight (ie have more than 200# to loose - and I was over 450# when I started) the LAP-BAND® is not the choice to make. If I could do it all over again I would do gastric bypass. I am somewhat pissed off at my surgeon for not pushing for the more drastic bypass surgery, but then -- would I have listened?

I know so many people who had gastric bypass and have gained most of their weight back. People who have gastric bypass don't have to do anything to lose weight. They can sit on the couch and lose 10 lbs a week, in the beginning. Keeping it off is another story. They need to pemenently change their eating habits to keep it off. A lot of them have also stretched out their pouch so they can eat way more than they could right after surgery.

In the beginning, sugar makes them sick. It dumps too much sugar into the blood stream too fast. But for a lot of people, that goes away.

There are a lot of gastric bypass patients who are now getting a band too.

Also remember though mnn2501, with the bypass most people after the 5 year mark will start to slowly regain as well..Unless you are/stay very motivated to keep it off..I know 4 people who had the bypass and have ALL regained most of their weight back...Unfortunately I do not know anyone who has had the band..Besides the people on here..I have people tell me they know someone who have had it, and have done well..I made my decision long ago, I was denied many years ago for the bypass, however am pleased because I think this is a better choice for me..The bypass is far to permanet for me, always said it was God's way of saying NO! :blush:I am not as big as some people, and so I don't want to be bone thin..I just need that extra boost..I am currently on my two week diet, day 10 and surgery is the 19th..I can't wait to finally do this. I was at 240, but gained 3 pounds right before I started my preop diet and have lost 13 pounds! I am 230, and hope I can get a few more pounds off before surgery day....I will also be having my gallbladder taken out at the same time...I have struggled all my life, I could take the weight off, but couldn't keep it off..Even joining a club/gym did not help..