Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having some PAIN!!!

I am experiencing pretty severe pains in my upper abdomen right below my ribs on the left side ( approx right where my band is)the pain is also on my left side and around to my back. Breathing deep and such is also painful. I ended up in the ER meeting my dr there last night about 11:30pm. The pain started around 5pm earlier that day. Like I said it was very severe. I could not lay down to sleep or move much at all. So after getting to the hospital and seeing my dr., tests were done. I had a xray with barium to check for the slippage first ( that is what I was sure it was). THANK THE LORD that was not the case. So further tests were done i.e - blood work. To test for appendicitis, pancreatitis, and gallbladder trouble. All tests came up normal levels. Herein lies my question? What is wrong with me? Anyone else experiencing anything like this b4

I get that same pain also on the left side under the rib cage. Normally after I eat. I have figured it out that it was just gas for me. Painful and hard to find a comfortable position. I take GasX and it goes away. Did you try any anti gas medication?

I had it too, for about a month after my surgery. I also attributed it to gas. I was banded October 7th, 2008. The pain took about four weeks to go away. I feel great now. Hang in there!

Thanks guys the only thing is nubmer one the pain has lasted now about 3 days. Also I am coming up on my 2 years post-op. But i will try the gas ex thanks. Oh btw I am have a little less pain today.

Could be adhesions (scar tissue) that has formed. Would not show up on Xray, only visible with exploratory surgery usually. I hope that's not the case though. I hope you get relief soon!

I have never had anything like it, but I do hope you continue to feel better soon. I am happy that the tests did not show anything serious like slippage.

yes i had lapband in feb. and i always had mild pain but now it gets pretty severe at times, i was in the hopsital and yes they did all the test you mentioned and everything was normal. I woke last night in severe pain once again and had a green stool. I called the doctor on call and he said to have a emergency room check you out. I have no answers but i started getting this pain severly about 2 weeks ago and it is hard . I do not wnat to keep going back to the ER and i am not due to see my surgeon till jan 7th. but the pain is in panceas (sp) area

yes i had lapband in feb. and i always had mild pain but now it gets pretty severe at times, i was in the hopsital and yes they did all the test you mentioned and everything was normal. I woke last night in severe pain once again and had a green stool. I called the doctor on call and he said to have a emergency room check you out. I have no answers but i started getting this pain severly about 2 weeks ago and it is hard . I do not wnat to keep going back to the ER and i am not due to see my surgeon till jan 7th. but the pain is in panceas (sp) area

There is nothing more aggravating than having pain and no answers to explain why there is a problem. The worse part is that there is no way to know how serious of an issue it is unless you know what it is in the first place.

Can you move up the surgeons visit if at all possible? I know they will see you if you have something that can be considered an emergency.

Good luck with everything and I hope you feel better soon. Please let us know once you find out what the issue is.

I was banded 12/17. 4 days later I began having this type of pain, also. I notice is begins when I eat. I am wondering if it's a nerve thng. It's painful under my left rib...and moves around. Sometimes around the back...sometimes up into my left lung. Once in a while I will get a little twinge on the opposite side, too.

Let us know what you find out from the surgeon.

Hi Mandy

We have soo much in common! I have pain there too, except mine goes up thru my shoulder and down my arm to my elbow. Had many tests done and Im fine and band is wonderful, but the pain is a killer. It is not gas pain for me, it is stress and band being too tight. It has come back yesterday and today as I have just had fill and visited w/relatives at Christmas(some stress). Im slowly seeing a pattern and am happy to finally figure out what it is. When it happens, it aches all day, so asap I go lay down w/heating pad and low stress(as much as possible w/3 kids). As I move out from fill and it loosens, episodes seem to subside.

I also notice if I drink too much dcoke my whole side hurts so I lay off and its gone next day.

Ive had band since 4/08 and over time, after no one could help me and test proved okay and I also didnt want band removed, I just watched for clues my body sent out.

Just know your not alone, as I felt very lonely when no one could help me or even tell me what was wrong! pm me if you want b/c I ve had episode for last 2 days.

maddy

wow first i like to thank you all for your suport.

thank you, yesterday i hade a endoscopy. It was not normal

the lap band is . they did fid it in place alot of gas or gastritis just waiting on the biopsys then i will have more news. nerve pain sounds logical but i do not have time to lay down. It also can last up to 3 days then nothing and all is well. Today is a good day. i hope my doctor will not remove it and refill it. It does work as is good. i just need to stop the bend over gut wrenching life disturbing pain that fills like i am being stabbed. I will keep you posted

valerie:confused: