Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tender Port Site

Went in for my 4th fill today and my port site was real tender. I have noticed that it has been tender to the touch lately, but didn't think much of it. So the PA calls in the doctor and he pokes around, yeah, that was nice:thumbdown: He tells me that it shouldn't be that tender and that he wants to be aggressive because it could be an infection! WTH!

I am now on antibiotics and anti-inflammatories (sp) for the next seven days. He said it could be an infected port and it could be eroding - it's only been in there for 4 mos! He would have to chase me down the street to get this sucker out!

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Oh Kristen,

You must be totally freaking out! It's one thing to know for sure what's going on but to just be sent home with meds and some maybes, ugh! I'll add you to my prayers if you don't mind. And lets hope it's something "minor."

As far as my experience, I'm only tender after a fill. I got a fill yesterday, so I'm a little swollen and very tender. AND b/c I'm swollen, my stomach sticks out more than normal and I keep hitting it! This will last a few days and then I'll be fine.

Take care and let us know what happens!

Oh and did he take your fill out or leave it? Just curious. And I can't imagine it would start eroding already but I have no idea either. Best wishes!!!

OMG! Now I am wondering!

I have had some port pain too! Usually more around the fill times but the other day (Prefill) I bent over and stood up and got this real pain at my port site. I told the doc at my fill and explained it felt like if something was infected and you bumped it then it really hurt. I was told that it is most likely my scar tissue breaking down a bit. I will be keeping a closer eye on this now though and if it doesn't get better I'm going to call my doc!

I also can't run without my port hurting. I have to hold my hand over it when I run or it gets tender...I am hoping it is just a scar tissue thing that will get better in time!

Thanks for your support! I will keep you posted!

Heartfire, he did leave the fill in.

Roheryn, I was also thinking it could be from the running I have been doing. When I come in from a longer run I definitely can feel where my port is.

I started the meds today - just crossing my fingers that I feel better and will have a good report next Wed.

I have been experiencing the same sort of thing but along with it, I have had several things get stuck over the past couple of weeks and 3 times with BPs. I keep thinking I need to just do liquids and mushies for a few days but I haven't been able to make myself stick to that. I go see my surgeon on Tuesday. I was sick with upper respiratory stuff a few weeks ago and had an antibiotic/steroid?? shot and z-pack. I went back 2 weeks later with port site soreness as well as other abdominal pain. I had decided that it was my kidneys and bladder because sometimes I will just hurt with them due to my polycystic kidney disease. My general physician said she didn't think it was them but maybe diverticulis or something with the lapband so she put me on an antibiotic. I am hoping that my surgeon can offer an explanation.

Tutornmom~ Let us know how you are doing. I hope they have an answer for you!

I have been on the meds and I am not feeling any different my port site is still tender to touch. Argh!

I actually seemed better earlier today but I did a couple of specials (songs) at church this morning and I noticed afterward that I was really sore. I am wondering if it is just those muscles being sore when I am active because I am not getting the exercise I should. It is a thought but I will certainly talk to the surgeon about it this week. Thanks for your concern!

Went back to the dr today and the pain has gone down. He does not think that it is an infection, but I still have some pain. I am going to take tylenol for the next week and see if it will make all of the pain go away.

The part that I hate - NO exercise for one week. He wants me to take it easy and see if all of the pain will subside before I start running again. Argh. I was looking forward to running tonight, but that won't be happening.

At least it is not anything major and it seems to be going away.

How are you doing Kristen? Has the ease in exercise helped the port any? That truly stinks when ya finally get to love exercise and they tell ya to stop. I hope you'll be able to get back to running without the pain soon.

My port is tender after a fill, usually goes away. But now I know it's there, not really pain just tender when I move around a lot. I can't sleep on that side either or it hurts. Not "hot" to the touch. But usually it hurts after exercising. My NP said it most likely is the muscles pulling on it and losing the fat around it. It can "tip" not dangerous but it's very common. It's a little harder to fill and unfill. It's better today I have cut down on my exercise this week due to a lot of other stuff. Did walking a lot and that helped. I will go back to my regular exercise after Christmas.

Accountess~ I am feeling better. I am restless without being able to exercise, I noticed that I am also not sleeping as well. Can't wait for next Wed to start running again!

Shamrock~ I was feeling the same thing. I was tender after the first two fills, but that went away, the third was really tender and the fourth was miserable. It will be interesting to see if the pain kicks up again when I start running.

Kristen, I'm glad you're feeling better but total bummer about the exercise. It's amazing how used to it our bodies get. Hopefully you can get some sleep soon. Take care of yourself!