Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 12/4 and having a tough time!

Hi Everyone... had my surgery on 12/4 and I am really struggling. My chest is killing me!! I cant seem to get comfortable, and my emotional spirit is shot! I am trying to get used to this all but it seems alot worse than I had anticipated! I also feel VERY hungry but I am working hard to get my Protein Shakes in....and I have been drinking alot of Water. Is anyone else recently banded having terrible pain in their chest???? :tt1:

I totally understand where your coming from, and I promise it will get better. The pain in your chest is probably the gas that will torment you for the next couple of days. The gas was worse then the incisions for me. Drink Camomille tea (Trader Joe's Caffiene Free) and lots of liquids to make sure you don't get dehydrated. Just relax and take it kind of slow and trust me things will work out. I have no regrets and I am almost a year out. :tt1:

Hang in there!! it will get soooooo much better.I'm almost 1 month out and feel like a different person than the first week or so.I too had ALOT of pain,gas and nausea.I also thought it was much worse than I imagined.Just listen to your body & rest! Everyday you will feel a little better! It's tough but so worth it! I'm down over 30 lbs and it is already feeling so worth it.It is definitely and adjustment but just try to relax and you'll be feeling better before you know it.The gas-x strips that melt on your tongue really helped my gas pains.Keep your chin up,were all pulling for ya!!:tt1:

I was banded on 12/4 and have the same problem. yesterday it got worst the nurse told me it was all gas. she prescribed me the gas medicine and also suggested gas x strips. by the time i left the doc's office and went to CVS i threw up twice and felt miserable. the chest pain was killing.

I havent had anything to drink except for Water since the day of surgery.

I was banded on the 2nd of Dec McKenzie and I was surprised the surgery was as painful as it was as well. Though I have to say after day 4 and increasing more after that I felt great....no pain or neusea or gas.

I don't think this is normal....do you have a follow up people? I would be seen just to make myself feel better!

good luck keep us posted

I was banded on the 3rd, and had horrid pains in the chest....and my upper back. I took gas-x pills they were so tiny it didn't bother me. I was really sore for about 2-3 days, and could not get comfortable. I laid up on the couch my first three days home But the 3rd night I went to bed to see if it would help, I actually laid on my stomach, and it felt sooo good. So, I am a week out. At surgery 340, now 328. Also, 4th day I went for a walk about 25 minutes, and that started making everyting kind of run better. Do stay on top of your Protein Drinks, and also popsicles and cold Water seemed to make everything feel better! I even went for a job interview today!

Your gonna be fine, it is a huge change, and I keep reminding myself mind over matter, I did this to help me! I can't wait to get on mushy foods, liquids are not keeping me filled!

Best of luck!

I was also banded on the 4th. I am not having the pain so much but nausea and gas rumbling through my tummy. I also started running a fever last night. It's a low one and it hovering at 100. I have an appt with my dr tomorrow. Another issue I have is diaheria. I can't seem to get rid of it. I think it's just because I’m on liquids but did anyone else have that problem. The good news is I am down 10lbs since the surgery. The dr was able to put a smaller band than she thought on and said I would be on liquids an extra week. which means I still have 2 more weeks of liquids. I have not really felt hunger. At least I don’t think I have. I am having a hard time distinguishing between hunger pains and gas pains. It might sound stupid but it's just weird. I can't really tell. I am hoping things will get better as the days progress. Most of the time I feel ok...but normally late evening is when I start going downhill. Hang in there! It has to get better!

Hi! I had my surgery on August 7, 2008. I am doing extremely well. Right after surgery, I would walk around the house. First for 10 minutes, the next day I would up that to 15 minutes and so on until I was at 30 minutes. After 3 days the pain in my chest and upper arms and neck was gone! I was told the more you get up and move around, the faster the gas pains go away. It worked! I am now 4 months out and have lost 60 pounds! Hope this helps.:(

Don't worry, it does get better. Just hang in there, sip your Water, and go for little mini-walks as often as you can, as it helps to move the gas out of your system. I had a lot of pain first few days after surgery, from both the gas and the surgery itself. But each day was gradually a little better than the previous day. Now I am two weeks post-op, and so much better than when I was in the beginning.

I was banded 12/3. I too had chest pain as well as minor shoulder pain. What helped me the most was walking. I paced the livingroom for the first 3 days. Day 4, I actually went for a walk around the block.

I hope you are feeling better now.

I also was banded 12/4 i'm a little sore everywhere not too bad but.......when I get up a move around or drink I get get this feeling in my chest like something is tighting i almost can't breath but it comes and goes quikley is it the band??

That pain in your chest could be acid reflux and/or gas, I had both... I had to wait for my new acid reflux medicine to kick in (takes a week to really start working). Also, TAKE THE GAS-X STRIPS! I was told that by several people on here, cause I was so uncomfortable and had trouble sleeping. The gas was worse than the pain from my incisions. I had surgery on the 1st of this month, but was determined that I could walk off the gas, but it wasn't until I FINALLY bought the strips this past Sunday that the gas went away, almost entirely! It took about 12 hours to really feel the difference, but it works wonders!

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words, I just got back to the computer and am reading your posts!! This website has really helped today!!

V-Queen... that is exactly what happens to me... its quick and feels like it is taking my breath away after I change from laying to standing, or sitting to standing or vice versa... I too was wondering if this was the band?