Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what am I doing wrong?

I was banded on May 17 of this year. I am down 48 pounds. I got a fill about 3 weeks ago and I have only lost 6 pounds since that visit since I was down 42 pounds then. My problem is that the scale isn't moving at all this week. I walk and/or ride an exercise bike 1 to an hour and a half a day as well as doing weights on my upper and lower body for 50-100 reps. I drink alot of Water and I eat very sensibly, or at least I think so. For Breakfast I eat 2 eggs scrambled with some fat free cottage cheese in them to keep them from getting dry. At lunch I eat a half of a chicken breast and a 1/2 a cup or so of vegetables or a lean cuisine. At dinner I eat the other half of the ckn. breast or a very small portion of something I cook for the family out of a Weight Watcher's cookbook. I also drink soy milk a couple times a day. I think my caloric intake is about 1000 a day. IS that the problem? Is that too low or too high? My clothes seem to be getting looser so my DH thinks I am gaining alot of muscle from the weights,exercise and all of the Protein I am eating and drinking. What does everyone else think? I am getting really discouraged and I am afraid that I am one of the unlucky ones who won't lose anymore. I feel bad for thinking that since almost 50 pounds is alot of weight to lose. I really want so badly to lose the other 100 and get down to about 145 even though that is still considered overweight for me. The doctor thinks about 130 is what I should be. Any advice would be great. I feel like I am losing hope and I am failing again.

Target rate of loss is 1-2 lbs/week on average. Fill was 3 weeks ago, you've lost 6 lbs. That's averaging 2lbs/week, on the high end of the target range. Sounds perfect. You cannot expect the rate of loss you had on the liquid post-op diet. Faster isn't better and it's not what banding is all about.

Nancy

394/270/180

So sorry, but what are you looking for???? 2 months gone and you are almost 50 down??? You should be jumping for joy and doing the happy dance. Not beating yourself up, not "oh woe is me."

You are doing AMAZING. A-Freaking-mazing.

They say we should be targeting about 1200 - 1500 calories a day, the more physically active, the more calories.

Guess what. There will be times when you don't lose weight at all. Not an ounce will budge from your butt, not a pound will drop from your posterior. Days, weeks, maybe months will go by without a drop from the scale. It's called a plateau, and it is our body's way of regrouping, of getting used to the "new you." It is supposed to be that way.

But you my friend, are doing A-freaking-mazing.

Some people haven't lost 50 pounds in an entire year, they are slow loosers, but they haven't given up.

I got a fill about 3 weeks ago and I have only lost 6 pounds since that visit

looks like you are losing just like you should be

1-3 lbs a week isthe average

in 8 weeks you have lost 48 lbs and you are concerned? Hmm..what other diet have you tired in your past and lost 48 lbs in 8 weeks?

You are doing awesome! Dont get down on yourself :D

All you're doing wrong is expecting a perfectly steady rate of loss. You're doing PERFECTLY, even EXTRAORDINARILY well. Any graph of weight loss shows lots of fits and starts, stalls, stops, and even nudges upwards from time to time.

The only way you could be considered "unsuccessful" is if you think it of yourself. You're WELL on your way and you just need to take a step back. RELAX! :D:):D

Thanks all. I know that I should be thrilled and really I am. My clothes don't fit at all anymore, and this time it's because they are too big and not the other way around. I knew I would plateau but I didn't think it would be so quickly. I know that I never lost this much weight before so I should stop my complaining and I also realize that some people don't lose 50 pounds in a year so i really should be greatful. Maybe my problem is that I don't "see" myself any thinner. I don't know if that makes sense or not. I know that my clothes are too big and people are always so impressed with how much I have lost but sometimes I can't "see" it. I am so used to being overweight and feeling bad that I don't know what to do with myself now that I am losing the weight and in reality feeling better than I have in years. Maybe I am a little afraid of what will happen when the next 100 comes off. I know that sounds silly but I don't know how to be thin. Wow, I sound like a real basket case. I know that I have to get it all worked out in my head before this will be totally successful in mind and body. That's what the band is about, mind and body. I really appreciate what everyone had to say to me. I was having a rough week and my period always makes it worse and everything always seems ten times worse that time of the month. (Sorry if that was too much info.) :D I feel that I can say pretty much anything and I won't be attacked and that someone will understand. And guess what I was right. Now I am going to get off my duff and go exercise and thank my lucky stars for what I have accomplised so far.

Your loss is impressive. I was banded 1 week later and have hovered at the 20 pound loss for over a month. I got my first fill this week and it didn't do anything.

Maybe its time to put some different clothes on. I have just been wearing my regular clothes up to now. But I got home last Saturday from a 2 week trip and my dryer broke and I'm have other house problems so I haven't been able to do laundry. I poured myself into a smaller pair of jeans this morning and have been getting alot of compliments.

Even though my other clothes were getting big, nobody noticed in them. If you don't have any clothes that fit, go to a second hand store or Walmart - summer sales are on now. I bet you will be surprised - and it will feel good to even buy that one small outfit - 50 pounds could be about a 2-3 size drop.

Celeste

Maybe my problem is that I don't "see" myself any thinner. I don't know if that makes sense or not. I know that my clothes are too big and people are always so impressed with how much I have lost but sometimes I can't "see" it. I am so used to being overweight and feeling bad that I don't know what to do with myself now that I am losing the weight and in reality feeling better than I have in years. Maybe I am a little afraid of what will happen when the next 100 comes off.

Okay....so it's good you're talking to yourself now about this. This is important. In my early 20's I lost a bunch of weight, freaked out about this very subject, about not knowing how to be thin, how to deal with the attention....and it drove me into severe bulimia for about 10 years.

That's the extreme end of it. But I just want to say...right NOW is the time to work on this. Your head stuff is MAJOR and could...down the road, disrupt your weighloss progress.

Do you have a counselor? A little bit of professional help to give you some great tools to use is HIGHLY recommended. In fact, my doctor who did my band suggests to all his patients that we have professional help throughout this process.

You are making STUNNING progress but it's also going FAST (yay you!) so like I said, NOW is the time to just get a little help so you can coast into your goal happy, healthy and ready to take on the world!!

I do have a counselor/psychiatrist who did my pre-op assessment. My doctor and my insurance requires a pre-op assessment to see if you are an "acceptable risk". He said to call anytime. I will give him a call and make an appointment. I think it's like I am in some kind of shock. I was wearing a size 30 and now I am wearing a size 24. That's a big drop. I want more than anything for this to be successful. I don't want to sabotage myself by any means.

. Maybe my problem is that I don't "see" myself any thinner. I don't know if that makes sense or not. I know that my clothes are too big and people are always so impressed with how much I have lost but sometimes I can't "see" it.

I am so used to being overweight and feeling bad that I don't know what to do with myself now that I am losing the weight and in reality feeling better than I have in years. Maybe I am a little afraid of what will happen when the next 100 comes off. I

Okay, I split what you wrote into two different sections. My DH has lost just shy of 200 pounds and he doesn't "see" it either. Probably Body Dismorphia strikes again. Some of us think we are smaller than we are, some think we are bigger than we are. This "head picture" seems to be really terrible and hard to understand or get a grasp on so we can change it.

I am convinced that one of the reasons we plateau is so that we can get used to our new size and/or shape. It is how our body defends us. Or one of the ways anyway.

weight loss & weight training. weight training wiil cause you to build muscle muscle will be heavery the fat! big T told me that some time your body gets used to the same old work out!

I lost most of my weight at the 1000 calories mark I think with all the exercise your doing it will come off! Keep up the good work...I have been fighting the last 27 /28 pounds for almost a month now at 228 from 310

Due you drink enough Water? water will help you to loose weight by keeping your system clean ups your metabolism rate.

Good job on loosing the first 48lbs

have you tryed egg beaters?

take care God bless

I think you are doing wonderful. Try measurment. I was told to take my measurements monthly, because the scale will not give you a true picture.

shagamelic

But you're not ON a plateau. You're settling into a more appropriate rate of loss, as you should.

A plateau is when you've lost neither pounds nor inches for at least 4 weeks straight. And having a little stall right now is due to really that you've lost a bit too fast initially and your body needs to balance things out. You're only looking for 1-2 lbs/week if you're eating properly. Surgery also doesn't change biology...we will never lose consistently.

Nancy

Thanks all. I know that I should be thrilled and really I am. My clothes don't fit at all anymore, and this time it's because they are too big and not the other way around. I knew I would plateau but I didn't think it would be so quickly. I know that I never lost this much weight before so I should stop my complaining and I also realize that some people don't lose 50 pounds in a year so i really should be greatful.

That all makes sense. Everyone notices it but me. But on the bright side I cleared out my closet and bought a couple new things and now I can see it more. I do drink alot of Water and I increased the calorie intake a little the last couple days. I am still working out alot and now my hubby is starting to do it with me. Thanks to everyone for there thoughts and advice. i will keep everyone posted.