Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lazy and weightloss

editing this post due to misunderstandings

if you are in the process of losing weight and get injured - don't fret.

take the time to heal and get rest

eat properly and don't feel if you are put on bed rest that you have doomed your weightloss.

You can pick up where you left off after you get back on your feet.

My sister just went thru a period of bedrest but chose to work due to needing the paycheck. She was sleep deprived like many people are as she pulls in 12 hour shifts - 2nd shift- and hasn't adapted to the scheduling yet so she only gets 4 hours of sleep a day.

The point of my tread was to share with you my sister's story and how bedrest didn't ruin her weightloss. Sleep has helped her.

So anyone out there who are doing all they can but feel they have hit a brick wall....check your sleep. Adequate sleep will assist in weight loss.

Edited by lapbandtalker

Um, I don't necessarily agree with you that she lost 14 more pounds because she was sleep deprived. Likely what it was is she lost muscle.

When you work out, you gain muscle as you lose fat. Fat weighs less than muscle; that's why so many people who work out and gain a couple pounds or don't lose anything get all upset because they likely aren't following their inches lost.

And any trainer who would have somebody who is 215 run is not worth anything. I would never recommend a person that size running. Walking has been proven to give a person the same results as running does -- and it's not as stressful on the joints.

And any trainer who would have somebody who is 215 run is not worth anything. I would never recommend a person that size running. Walking has been proven to give a person the same results as running does -- and it's not as stressful on the joints.

while walking is a good alternative exercise for those who "can't run" - i see nothing wrong with running at 215lbs. there are MANY on the Couch 5k program in & around that weight, and from experience with my trainer...running is what helped get my a$$ off the back of my thighs.

OP, if you lost weight by being in bed more power to you!!! for myself, i sleep MUCH better after i have gotten my workout in. your sister likely did lose muscle.

Thanks, lulu. I just wouldn't have thought it would be recommended because of what OP's sister had happen with the stress fracture.

hey beth - with the added weight, sure it's a likelihood that injuries "could" happen - but they happen to normal weight individuals as well.

i "knew" my weight was going to come off slow - so i got on the exercise kick, and the cardio was the nudge that made things "click".

People are always really surprised when they stop working out and they lose weight. Sadly, YOU'RE LOSING MUSCLE! Muscle is HEAVY.

However, muscle keeps your metabolism revving and actually helps you to burn fat, so when you lose muscle, you may have a temporary and enjoyable and easy weight loss, but it's TEMPORARY. Without the muscle to burn fat, you can end up in another cycle of storing fat.

So, yes, while sleep deprivation is a bad thing and detrimental to weight loss, so is NOT exercising.

Your sister's doctor SHOULD have told her to take it to the swimming pool and the advice you gave her, basically to become a couch potato, was, in my opinion, very bad advice.

Sometimes I find some of these posts confusing. Is the point weight loss or is it health. A non-active thin person can be just as unhealthy as a non-active heavy person. So who really cares if you lose weight and are still unhealthy? Activity is the only thing that will strengthen your body and heart. I'll pass on the "coma" form of weight loss. My objective is health and hopefully weight loss follows.

Something I noticed...

I spent my months of weightloss pretty much in bed. I suffer from depression and have a thyroid problem so being in bed isn't new for me.

Anyways, I saw on news shows a while back about how sleep can help with weightloss. But my guess this is only for those who don't get adequate sleep.< /p>

The second thing I noticed was....

One of my older sisters was at 250something this spring. She joined a gym, dieted, ran, worked really hard. Got a personal trainer...the weight started coming off. She dropped from a 22/24 to an 18. Well at around 215lbs she felt pain in her knee while running. Yep- stress fracture. Doc put her in a brace AND ordered her to not exercise or run...not even walk.

She called me crying. This is what I told her to do:

Put the tv in the bedroom, put the phone in the bedroom.

Get tons of drinks, fav foods -diet foods though. Eat all you want and stay in bed! (except for work -she's a nurse)

Well, I'm happy to report that 3 weeks later she is now 201 lbs.

She lost 14 pounds by NOT working out, NOT seeing her personal trainer, NOT running, and eating when she wanted and staying in bed.

So, she was definitely sleep deprived and she sees the doc next week. She is going back to the gym and just thank her lucky stars this worked for her! [knowing it was a temporary thing and had she continued...she would have started gaining weight]

What a fabulous way to lose all that muscle she gained when she was exercising. Now she'll lose the rest much more slowly, if at all.

So many missed the point...but I'm no scholar when I write.

Many fight weightgain or unable to lose weight and a key culprit is sleep deprivation.

My sister was sleep deprived and her body needed adequate sleep. Once she finally got it, all the exercising finally paid off as she lost weight just by getting sleep and dieting.

And no, she didn't even gain 15 pounds of muscle thru exercising so no, she didn't lose 15 pounds of muscle. She by working 12 hour shifts as a nurse exercises MORE without a gym than I do all day.

But no worries...this was just an observation of a scientific fact.....get adequate rest.

Thought I'd add some links to the research....

this is for those of you who do everything to lose weight but feel it's not getting you anywhere.

This is just something to check into.

The Dream Diet: Losing Weight While You sleep

"http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/lose-weight-while-sleeping"

Body Weight and sleep | Obesity and Sleep

"http://www.sleepdex.org/weight.htm"

Sleep and Weight Loss-Sleep and Losing Weight "http://thyroid.about.com/od/loseweightsuccessfully/a/sleepdiet.htm"

but talk to your doctor if you are getting only a few hours of sleep at night. They may can help get your sleep pattern adjusted.

lapbandtalker, you are correct in your assertian that sleep deprived people are less likely to lose weight. What they are talking about is people that only get about 4 hrs of sleep each and every night. Studies show everyone needs at least 7 hrs of sleep each night. Without that, you cannot stay healthy for long.

I will not say for sure as you should not say for sure she lost the weight by staying in bed. We cannot say for sure either way. But, IMO, your advice to stay in bed with all the conveniences and food and drinks w/i arms reach was not good advice. Just because she could not walk on her leg does not mean she has to be bedridden. There are crutches. As a nurse, I would hope she knows about those.

I will say that your sister most likely did gain 15 lbs of muscle. If she was with a personal trainer, she must have been with them for awhile to lose that much weight properly. I am willing to bet she lost the 15 lbs by losing that muscle weight gain. I know from personal experience that if you lift weights, you are going to gain muscle. If you gain muscle and do cardio, you are going to lose overall weight much slower.

lapbandtalker, you are correct in your assertian that sleep deprived people are less likely to lose weight. What they are talking about is people that only get about 4 hrs of sleep each and every night. Studies show everyone needs at least 7 hrs of sleep each night. Without that, you cannot stay healthy for long.

I will not say for sure as you should not say for sure she lost the weight by staying in bed. We cannot say for sure either way. But, IMO, your advice to stay in bed with all the conveniences and food and drinks w/i arms reach was not good advice. Just because she could not walk on her leg does not mean she has to be bedridden. There are crutches. As a nurse, I would hope she knows about those.

I will say that your sister most likely did gain 15 lbs of muscle. If she was with a personal trainer, she must have been with them for awhile to lose that much weight properly. I am willing to bet she lost the 15 lbs by losing that muscle weight gain. I know from personal experience that if you lift weights, you are going to gain muscle. If you gain muscle and do cardio, you are going to lose overall weight much slower.

It was excellent advice and it came from an orthopedic doctor...did you guys miss she fractured her leg and was put in a brace?

And the doc said for her to stay in bed and not put any pressure at all - no crutches allowed...so being a nurse and a medical doctor...they know that.

No worries, many don't read the entire post as I know sometimes they can be lenghtly.

Not to be an a$$, as I know I can be at times, but how is being on crutches putting pressure on your leg. I've had plenty of knee injuries due to sports. Including having both knees scoped, right twice left once. I've never, ever, been told to stay in bed the whole time.

Not sure why they would tell her to stay off crutches and not to do anything at all.

One of my older sisters was at 250something this spring. She joined a gym, dieted, ran, worked really hard. Got a personal trainer...the weight started coming off. She dropped from a 22/24 to an 18. Well at around 215lbs she felt pain in her knee while running. Yep- stress fracture. Doc put her in a brace AND ordered her to not exercise or run...not even walk.

She called me crying. This is what I told her to do:

Put the tv in the bedroom, put the phone in the bedroom.

Get tons of drinks, fav foods -diet foods though. Eat all you want and stay in bed! (except for work -she's a nurse)

]

Btw, you said here yourself, you told her to stay in bed. Not her dr. Now, if you missed that point from her dr, that is one thing. However, do not accuse me of not reading your post thoroughly.

Btw, you said here yourself, you told her to stay in bed. Not her dr. Now, if you missed that point from her dr, that is one thing. However, do not accuse me of not reading your post thoroughly.

Thanks, you wrote what I was just about to write.

Staying in bed like that sounds like the best way to get blood clots and lose muscle mass all at the same time!