Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PCP sent forward referral to Bariatric group!

Hi there!

I am so excited my PCP just emailed me that he sent forward a referral to the Kaiser Bariatric group. Now I have to wait to see if they approve me for the program.

One hoop down a few more to go unfortunately with Kaiser. Wish me luck!

Dolores, I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you that all goes well!

Dolores, which Kaiser do you belong too? I was just referred as well and have already been called for blood work to be done. I havent heard back since then this was last week. we should follow along with each others progress we may end up having it around the same time and would have each other to support through it all in addition to all the wonderful folk on thie web site of course . :)

I was told I would be referred to Kaiser Fremont. I know you usually have to see dietician and have psyc eval as a next step. Have you done this yet?

no I havent but I got an appointment for the orientation for jan 19th in panarama city. After that they said I would get an appointment with the doctor then after that a 6 month class also in panarama city. The coordinator on the phone said that they would go over all of the surgery options. They said plan on it taking close to a year from start to finish. they didnt say anything about the psyc yet but they did say I would have to lose 10% of my body weight and that would be done through the 6 month program I think the 6 month program may have the psyc step in it as part of the class but Im just guessing. he said the class was to prepare you for a lifetime change . I am researching all of the options because they will be discussing all of them and recommending based on each case so I want to prepared just in case they try to discourage the lap band for me because Im not sure Im comfortable with them removing and re routing body parts. If I get the Lap band done it would be in the south bay area that is where they do the lap band surgery he said the others would be at UCLA. I have fear and hope running through me right now. Im pretty thankful though that they make us go through a 6 month program to prepare us this is such a huge life change that I want to be absolutly ready for it.

Kaiser's program is great, they want you to be fully prepared and it really weeds out folks who just "want" the surgery so it will be easier to lose weight. It is a change for the rest of your life and Kaiser wants to make sure you are ready. I am at Kaiser Richmond, plus I am in classes for 4 months at Kaiser Santa Rosa. I have done the orientation (with the "beginning" weight recorded), blood tests, apnea screening, 3rd class is tonight and I have another appt in Richmond in 2 weeks for the Psych evaluation. Every step so far has been helpful, and I have already lost 11 lbs!

I agree that kaiser is great I just called them up a little bit ago to find out what the next step was and they really explained a lot to me which is how I got the date for my orientation already. Thats great that you have already lost 11 pounds. Do they put you on a diet in the classes or are you just expected to lose the 10%. So whatever my weight is at orientation I will need to lose 10% if that before surgery? I will make sure I dont take my dieretics for a few days before the orientation lol, im just kidding.

For the Kaiser Richmond program, they start your weight at the weigh-in orientation. Some Kaiser programs will take it from a doctor's office weigh-in, but mine didn't (my highest weight was at orientation weigh-in, so that was OK with me!) With the weekly class I am in, the weigh me there too and put it in the file. Also they take my blood pressure all of the flippin' time! Once I started it seems like it is going fast, and the sooner I lose my weight (I assume it is 10%, but my surgeon will decide and I have not met with him yet) the sooner they will schedule my surgery. My goal is to have lost 10% by the time I see my surgeon. Good luck and keep in touch!

PS, Kaiser Richmond has their bariatric surgery binder online at their website if you want a preview. Good luck!

Riley

Edited by riley4183
misspelling

Hi everyone! My name is Christine, 32 years old and from the Sacramento area and I'm also going through Kaiser Richmond. I had orientation on 11/25, last Tuesday. It was very informative and made me even more excited and motivated to get going with this major life change!

I should be getting my next appt within a day or so for either the psychologist or surgeon, then will have the other (psych or surgeon), then attend another 5 hour nutrition class. Liz, the case manager said that after that, once you lose the weight that your surgeon requires that they will schedule your surgery. She said it's about 4-6 months from orientation date but that if you lose the required weight faster it could be even sooner.

I started the 1200 calorie diet on Friday and am hoping to be on the fast track! I don't know how much the surgeon will want me to lose, so I'm just losing as much as I can. I figure if I lose more than he requires it's just weight that I don't have to lose later.

Good to meet you all! I'm glad to see some local Kaiser people here. It seems that the Kaiser experience is much different than other insurances.

Hi Christine, when you went to orientation did they record your weight? I know that we are required to lose 10% of our weight but was wondering if the orientation meeting is the the weight they use?

Yes, they did take my weight. They said that this will be my starting weight and what all my appts will be referred back to. At orientation I was told that everyone is asked to lose a certain amount, but that it differs between every patient and is up to the surgeon. I started my 1200 calorie diet on Friday and am hoping that I'll have a good head start on my weight loss before talking to the surgeon.

Hello All

I am pre opt and going through Richmond Kaiser. Waiting for my orientation appointment which I assume will be in January somtime. So I have to wait to start on the 10% weight loss? I was hoping to have lost the 10% by the orientation since I have to wait so long.

Would love to stay in touch and see how it goes for everyone.:biggrin:

I am Not going to try to lose any weight until I am weighed in on the 19th of january because I am afraid that my weight loss will slow down if I start before they record my official weight and I want to be able to lose that 10%. Im getting excited for the orientation. I have been doing a lot of research and am kinda of wavering back and forth between lap band and the sleeve Gasterectomy. we will see how I feel about it after the orientation.