Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I got my date! Anything I need to purchase?

I finally got my date. Of course its pending insurance approval but still. December 30th or 31st depending on their schedule!

I'm scared! Mostly of the fills believe it or not. Needles really are not my friend and especially in the belly. I found out yesterday that they do not numb the area nor do they find the port with the scope. Just fingers and a jab...ugh

So ANY words or advice is welcomed by me.

My question today to everyone is do I need to purchase any special items for after surgery? Such as little cups, or measuring spoons or anything really?

I was looking at a youtube video of someone showing what she had purchased in preparation for surgery. She was having GB so it may be different but I"d like to not have to rely on anyone to run and get me things after I have the surgery.

Thanks a bunch

Poodles

Things that came in handy for me:

Gas X: You will likely have gas at first

liquid Tylenol

Tongs: You will not be able to reach or bend for a few days.

Plenty of liquids (broth, shakes, Water, juice)

Clothing: Wear loose clothes and undies to the hospital, also shoes that you can just step into. This makes getting dressed to come home so much easer.

Have some nighties or house dresses and loose undies to wear around the house and loose strechy pants to wear out (your waistband area is going to be very tender for a couple weeks)

Sleeping:

I was not able to lie flat for more than a week. Also, your stomach muscles are very tender and your incisions are still hurting so getting up and down from the bed was just too painful.

For the first few days I had to sleep in an upright almost sitting position then I slowly lowered myself each night. If you have a recliner that would be ideal. I do not, so I used chair cushions and pillows and propped myself up on the couch. It was 1 1/2 weeks before I was able to go back to my bed.

Nah, there's nothing you have to purchase.

You will want to plan; however.

Get your bills paid.

Groceried gotten.

Kids science projects completed.

Favorite drinks, Soups, and foods. These will come in handy when you have them in advance.

My question today to everyone is do I need to purchase any special items for after surgery? Such as little cups, or measuring spoons or anything really?

i use my measuring spoons as serving spoons - so i know how much i'm "taking" & also really only use salad plates these days.

few things:

get your pain meds filled in advance

like mentioned - have house cleaned & tivo or dvd's lined up to watch

heating pad & body pillow - i had bad back pain and both helped

sf ice pops - had a sore throat after the tube came out

shopping of your favorite Soups / drinks / shakes ... i would test out a few now - nothing worse trying to recover and deciding the $45 Protein Powder mix you bought is gross

good luck!!

Ok, then I plan to just use what I have. I should be fine.

I have started a list of other things though like the gas x and tylenol etc. That is exactly what I was looking for as far as info goes.

Thanks a bunch to everyone who answered.

Don't forget a pill crusher -- I'm only 3 days out of surgery but I've already used that to crush my anti-nausea medicine.

And the above poster that said TIVO! That's the best thing. I couldn't really concentrate to read (and btw, I brought all this stuff to the hospital and read none of it). I find tv shows are helpful. You can doze off and still find your place.

Hi, I will be banded in Mexico Dec.5 and havn't gotton my package yet..just wondering where we get our fills and do you go back to Mexico for check-ups? Marcia in Wyoming

Glad I read this blog before I had my surgery on Thursday. Best thing to get is the GasX and make sure you get the kind that you put on your tongue and it desolves. If at all possible get any meds in liquid form. The worst thing I've had to do thus far is crush my medicine and drink it down with water...it taste HORRIBLE! Also, make sure you have lots of Jello and popsicles. It gets old after a while but it's the next best thing to food.< /p>