Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Program fees

Well, I went to a symposium today to find out about the lap band procedure (tho i really didnt learn anything new as i had investigated it already). What i WAS surprised by was the program fee they charged...apparently from reading some of the posts here, this is a normal process? This group charges $1250. To be honest, i was dismayed at this - im struggling financially as it is - to take on another bill is too much..yet...i want this procedure so much that somehow i do have to come up with the money. They did have Care credit brochures, so maybe thats an answer.

So...am i to believe then - that this is pretty normal - this charge - for follow up care and such?

I'm sure the fees vary but that sounds kinda high, my program fee was $750 but since I could not use the milk based Protein Shakes that were part of the pre-op diet I only ended up having to pay $500. Make sure you know exactly what is included in your program fee so you dont have unexpected out of pocket on top of that. It might seem like a big chunk of money up front, but it is worth it. Good Luck.

Program fees range from $250 to $7500 to $0.

Some of the stuff that is typically included is the sort of thing that a lot of insurances won't pay for, particularly aftercare. A good program will have a LOT Of aftercare including message boards, newsletters, support groups and access to nutritionists and counselors. That stuff cost money and someone has to pay for it.

I would shop around. If you can't find a group you like as well as the one you have now that doesn't have a fee, then consider it money well spent to get a good outcome. But don't assume that you have to pay a fee to get a good program. It really varies.

Yeah, i started thinking about what they mentioned..after care, support group, newsletters, etc..and for a "lifetime"...so ultimately i guess it makes sense....i just hadnt had a clue about this fee...thank you for the response..

Shop around that seems really high. I think the Realize Band has a support forum that you get access to after the surgery. And of course there are places like this. I have been to 3 seminars met with 1 doc, have an appointment on Mon. with the group I think I will use. The first two tried to push a 6 month structed weight program at me for about $400 telling me my insurance required it. NOT!!! It took a lot of emails and phone calls but I finally found out from TriCare that it was not a requirement from them. These two groups had program fees at $400 & $450. Nutrion eval at about $80, nutrion classes $200 for first and another $100 for the second. One even required you do Optifast for 2 weeks to the tune of $300. Neither of these surgical groups talked much about post care. Fills and any visits would be billed. So really shop around. Someone here told me about the guy I will see on Mon. they have no program fees and listed the insurance requirements for several companies in the packet they handed out at the seminar.:thumbup:

The program fee for the group that I used was $1250. I didn't do enough homework on finding the groups offered through my insurance company so I was stuck. I had already paid the non-refundable fee when I realized that there was one more clinic I could have gone through. Don't get me wrong, I don't regret going through the doctor that I did, but it would have been nice not to pay that fee. My fee includes the support groups, free visits (not fills though) during a specified time, and costs of them being a bariatric group of distinction.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Mr.Kantos

Just signed up. Feeling optimistic.
      · 0 replies
    • Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

That's brilliant! You've done amazing!! I should probably think about changing my profile picture at some point. Mine is the doll from Squid Games. Ironically the whole premise of the show is about dodging death. We've both done that...

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches