Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Holiday Dinners???

So I have started my pre-op diet. That means that for Thanks Giving, the biggest holiday meal of the year in my opinion, that I have to eat a very modified dinner. We're going to my in-laws for Thanks Giving and yesterday my mother in-law asked my wife if there is anything special that she needs to have for me or if there is anything they should not serve.

My first reaction was don't make any special concessions for me. I don't want others to feel like they have to change the way they enjoy the dinners or the holiday festivities because I am changing the way that I do.

Then I started thinking what really can I have for the dinner. I am on the Liver Shrinking Diet so it's low fat and low carb. No more then 30 carbs a day and no more then 1200 calories a day. So what does that mean? It means I have to completely rethink food and what food I should be having.

Do you have any special plans on how you are going to handle the holiday dinners?

I was on liver shrinking diet last year for Christmas dinner. I straight up asked them if I could cheat that day and they said, sure, but be reasonable. I had one plate with all my favorites on it, but less of them. We have a lot of dishes so it was lots of food. I tried to eat it slow, but I did clean my plate. I think I even had a small desert. After that, I was back to my liver shrinking diet and it didn't seem to hurt anything.

Best of luck to you!

Well Pete I start my pre-op diet Tuesday and on a 1000 cal diet two slimfast and on frozen dinners. Thanksgiving I will be eating turkey and vegs I invited a house full of people to celabrate the day with me. On Christmas I will be on mushies and not going to cook this year guess family will have to find somewhere else to eat. LOL

Carol

I see my surgeon on Wednesday before Thanksgiving and will ask her then. My hope is that she will give the okay to postpone my pre-op by one day and allow me a modified Thanksgiving. I will not be cooking it (thankful for THAT!) so I won't have leftovers to be concerned with. I plan on small amounts of my favorites - of course there are many of those - but keeping to very small amounts will satisfy me, and I hope satisfy my surgeon. If she plays hardball - I'll have the turkey broth and cranberry Jello - and be thankful to have my surgery date the next week. It's all in what you set your mind to, and my priority is my surgery and following the rules for success. When Thanksgiving rolls around next year, I'll be close to goal, and my bet is I will eat very small amounts of my favorites!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches