Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I moving to mushies too fast?

Hey there. Was banded Nov 5, so today is day 5. Well, technically, day 6 now.

Since Oct 20 I've been on a liquid diet (pre-op for 14 days) and since surgery I've been sipping broth and other liquids. During the last few days, I've also had broccoli Soup, which is really pureed broccoli and other veggies. Things went down fine, even though the Soup itself was much thicker than just broth.< /p>

When I came home, today, I was starved. I didn't have anything easy to eat, so I went and got myself a can of pea soup and a can of chef boyardee macaroni. I mixed half a can of each, and blendered it.

Now before you think this is gross, let me just say that is kind of is. But a taste test of the pea soup was delish, and a taste test of the Tomato sauce of the noodly stuff was also good. How bad could the mix be? Well, pretty bad. But it still tasted better than what I've been having for the last 3 weeks.

So, I had some of that. I felt full after about 500 ml of the stuff. And I got used to the taste pretty quick. I ate very slowly while watching TV, and hey, it all went down just fine.

But, this is day 5/6, and I'm already on to mushies and I don't feel any kind of side effect. Today, gas pains have all but subsided, and I have felt actual hunger for the first time since the operation!

Now, I'm definitely not going to try any chunky stuff anytime soon -- but I know everybody else says to go slow and to move on to mushies after about two weeks of liquid diet? Is this so?

So far, I've not had any problems eating pureed stuff, or thick Soups. Am I going too fast?

Thanks for your feedback.

Dr. J.

You need to follow your doctor's prescribed diet, not anecdotal advice received here. When we eat "food" our stomachs churn to digest it. If you have a band that is sutured or sewn in you run the risk of ripping out your stitches. Or you may loosen them and run the risk of slippage and erosion later. There is a reason docs put us on specific pre- and post- op diets. I KNOW its hard. I sat and held a can of refried Beans and CRIED for goodness' sake. But, I didn't eat them. You need to do what your doc says.

Did your doc say a 'full liquid diet' or a 'clear liquid diet'?...and when did he say it was OK for you to move on to mushies? Day 5-6 sounds a bit early to me!

if you pureed the Pasta and Soup, then that's ok for a full liquid diet, but not ok for a clear liquid diet.< /p>

Just be careful. It's not worth the trouble you may have later on if you go against doctors orders. One thing I've learned, they have their reasons!!

RM you took the words right out of my mouth. :laugh:

Doctors put you on a liquid diet so your stomach doesn't churn trying to digest anything complex. Like she said, stomach churning can lead to loosened or pulled stitches. Listen to your doctor! Just because it went down fine doesn't mean it's OK to eat. You have no idea what kind of movements your stomach makes when it's trying to digest stuff!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches