Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My name is Jen and I'm addicted to...

the scale!! I know that I'm only supposed to weigh myself once a week. Have been told this my shrink, the nutritionist, etc. However, when I'm in my bathroom it calls my name and I think, well, who knows? Maybe I've lost some more! When I was losing a ton after surgery this was fine, but now it is maddening! I think I might put the scale away and just take it out once a week!

the scale!! I know that I'm only supposed to weigh myself once a week. Have been told this my shrink, the nutritionist, etc. However, when I'm in my bathroom it calls my name and I think, well, who knows? Maybe I've lost some more! When I was losing a ton after surgery this was fine, but now it is maddening! I think I might put the scale away and just take it out once a week!

LOL....I hear ya!! i was the exact same way for the first 2 weeks after surgery until the scales stopped moving and I was PISSED OFF.....AT EVERY ONE!!:eek: My husband took the scales and hid them and he only brings them out on Monday mornings for my official weigh in then he takes them away. This has worked out so much better for me and will probably be better for you too. Now I can actually see the weight loss. I guess I was expecting to see weight loss everyday...lol.

I am a card carrying memeber of scales anonymous. I jump on the scale every time I go to the bathroom. I have tried to put it up, but so far I haven't been able to last even an entire day. My husband refuses to get involved with me and the scale so he won't hide it for me. What is a girl to do?

5 1/2 months out and I still weigh myself every morning. I feel like it keeps me on track too. If I overdid it for dinner last night and got up this morning to find a gain I am held accoutable for my bad behavior. And when I wake up to find that I have lost another pound, I am encouraged for the day. The plateaus can be difficult but I have learned to accept them as part of the whole process.

OMG!! Can I join your "scales anonymous club" too? I am so bad about this! I was banded 10-22 and now its an obsession. I have to weigh myself every morning before my shower. Its crazy. But I agree with everyone else I use it as a tool. If I ate something I wasnt supposed to it would show on the scale. It keeps me accountable. Kelli

Hi Jen. Don't worry as it's okay to be addicted to the scales. Time will continue on and you will lose the weight.

It's perhaps BEST to not be, but in the long run it's not going to hurt you.

I weighed myself every day for a year. And now it's 2-3 times a week.

And just think, in the future it will be only once a week.

Hang in!

scale Addict here.

I honestly cannot even go pee without checking the end results on the scale afterwards. Who knows how much extra pee weight you could have been carrying around in there! :laugh:

I've always been like that though. Even before banding. Back then it probably was bad because if the numbers were up I'd think "oh screw it" and order a pizza because what's the use, but now I don't think it's such a terrible habit. I'm working in stages though so right now my goal is to get out of the 8's. Before that it was to get out of the 9's etc...

I agree, I am addicted as well, My weight changes from time I get up, after treadmill and after shower. never get on it at night. I am getting better after 10 months down 62 lbs. More days I just see it move back and forth. Such a waste of time. Once a week would be a good thing. maybe I will ask my DH to do the same. It does keep me in line as far as eating.I think. We love to see that scale go down, don't we.Another little game we have to play, the band, the food we don't like anymore, and now the scale. What is next, geez... Goal weight here we come...

Yep! Guilty as well. We are band sisters... I was banded on the same day as you. I now have 2 scales in my KITCHEN, of all places!!! Because you know the digital scale didn't always give me the same weight each time. So I now have an old fashion dial scale right next to it. And I get on both of them at least 3 times each, you know to compare numbers. I do this when I wake up, when I come home from work, after I eat dinner, when I happen to walk through the kitchen, before I go to bed I think you get the picture. ha ha ha I think most of us have wanted to be thin for so long, or at least I have, we just want it to melt away.

I have asked my husband for one of the fancy doctor scales for Christmas. I think he is a little concerned about contributing to my addiction...

Hello Jen,

My name is Julie and I'm addicted to scale as well! I just can't help it, I have to weight myself everyday. But at the same time I hate doing it because Im in a 'plateau' so I get pissed about it everyday lolll:thumbs_down: I think Im gonna ask my bf to take the scale and put it somewhere where I can't find it.:D

Julie

Hi Jen,

I feel the same way and I'm not even banded yet. I noticed that you are in Ellicott City, I live nearby in Elkridge and was wondering where you had your surgery? I am in the process at JHU Bayview - they are good, but definately push RNY over lap band.

Any feedback you could give me would be great.

Thanks,

Linda

I like nessa, have a scale in the kitchen. I weigh myself just once a day. I think that has kept me on track. If I am up a couple of pounds I can get rid of it right away. I like to nip it in the bud, quick. I also can tell what foods agree with my weight loss and which ones hinder it. I have noticed for me too many veggies cause weight gain.(probably gas), without my scale, and daily checks, I wouldn't notice that. I love my scale.

5 1/2 months out and I still weigh myself every morning. I feel like it keeps me on track too. If I overdid it for dinner last night and got up this morning to find a gain I am held accoutable for my bad behavior. And when I wake up to find that I have lost another pound, I am encouraged for the day. The plateaus can be difficult but I have learned to accept them as part of the whole process.

A bit off the subject, but you have done so well. Could you post a couple day samples of how you eat and also how much you exercise? Congrats!! I hope to do well also!!