Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 4 and scared to eat - advice?

I've done really really well since having surgery on Weds Nov 5th. But Thurs night I got nauseous after sipping too much apple juice after my pain meds and ended up throwing up. Other than that incident - I'm fabulous!

I still am not feeling hungry, however my doctor says that by Day 3 I should be incorporating Protein Drinks as well as "Full Liquids" which include grits, oatmeal, ff pudding, sf Jello, V8 juice, etc. But I'm scared to eat! I'm scared to drink anything more than apple juice, crystal light, and frozen popsicles!

I know that I should be able to handle these "Full Liquids" with no problems, right? I guess I'm just worried I won't notice that I'm full (since I don't even really feel hungry) and that I'll end up throwing up again. That was not a pleasant experience two nights ago and I don't want a repeat of it!

Any words of encouragement for me? I must must must start getting calories and Protein in my body today, but I'm scared of hurting myself. :blink:

I was scared too! Just make sure you strain your Soup and only put in what you will be drinking. Measure out a 1/2 cup or 1 cup or whatever you are allowed. Use a small spoon and take it slow. You will be ok just make sure you listen to your body, it will tell you when you've had too much. Good luck, hope this helps!:blink:

Looks like we were banded on the same day - 11/5/08. I don't have any appetite and am having a hard time just getting clear liquids in. I sip on Water all day - I'm trying very hard to avoid getting dehydrated. It's amazing how different each doctor's post-surgery diet is - I'm on a full clear liquid until next Friday (that will be 9 days post op); then on to liquids for about a week, then on to mushies.

I have a headache today-wonder if it's from not eating!!

Took some liquid tylenol (yuch!)-hope to feel better from the headache-otherwise I'm doing great! Up and walking, doing small house chores, just drove my daughter to a class.

Good luck to you - it would be great to keep in touch!

:blink:

well, i woke up feeling really tight this morning (tightness in my chest making it difficult to breathe deeply). i drank about 8oz of crystal light this morning, then i finally got the courage to eat an individual cup of sf vanilla pudding. it took me ten minutes to get it down, but boy am i stuffed!!!

unfortunately my surgeon doesn't allow warm/hot full liquids until after Day 5, so i can't have Soup, grits, or oatmeal just yet. i think this afternoon i'll try a Protein Shake. :blink:

Hey Jaime

Congrats on you surgery, my advise to you is take it slow. My nurse at the hospital told me that if you trow up or fell nauseated it means you are eating too fast, a 8oz drink should take you about an hour to drink so start with a glass of warm fat free milk and take your time drinking it, trust me it will get better.

Take care and keep me posted

My surgery was 11/5 and you said it should take 1 hour to drink 8 oz. of liquid. I have been able to drink that right down ever since my surgery date. I don't PB or feel full. I woke up this morning feeling great so we packed a family lunch and headed to the park. After about 2hrs. I started feeling really worn out and had some cramps. I guess I over did it. Anyway , I think I should only drink 1-2 ounces at a time even if I can drink more. Im afraid the pouch might strech. Did anyone's doctor give them a limit as to how much they should consume at one time?

My surgery was 11/5 and you said it should take 1 hour to drink 8 oz. of liquid. I have been able to drink that right down ever since my surgery date. I don't PB or feel full. I woke up this morning feeling great so we packed a family lunch and headed to the park. After about 2hrs. I started feeling really worn out and had some cramps. I guess I over did it. Anyway , I think I should only drink 1-2 ounces at a time even if I can drink more. Im afraid the pouch might strech. Did anyone's doctor give them a limit as to how much they should consume at one time?

My doctor didn't tell me how much to drink at a time, so I can't help you there. But I have caught myself gulping once or twice instead of sipping, and I was banded on 11/5 as well. I freak out for about two seconds after the gulp, until I realize there's nothing to worry about, and then I stop. I am still trying to sip everything though, because gulping is a thing of the past.

I also woke up this morning feeling great, although a bit tight in my chest making it hard to laugh and breathe deeply. I forced myself to drink about 16oz of Crystal Light, which took roughly an hour I'd say. Then I allowed myself a small pudding cup, even though I wasn't even hungry. I've not been hungry at all yet, and it's Day 4! That in itself is a miracle!! :blink:

I am so jealous. I have been STARVED since my surgery. I am allowed clear fluids (juice, Jello, popsicles) until monday and we were banded the same day. I have been so hungry I could have chewed my arm off. I am starting to feel human today. I had more pain than anticapted and bloating and Constipation. I used suppositories which helped last night and a heating pad for back pain. I stopped tylenlol 3s and switched to reg extra strength tylenl as they do not cause constipation.

Banded same day. Nov 5, morning.

On the day following the surgery, I was able to have warm broth. I had coffee, and other warm liquids. I don't think they do any harm. In fact I think it's slightly better warm than cold, because I was told that a cold liquid would induce stomach contraction, and thus, pain.

For the last 2 days I was able to eat jell-o, slowly. I transformed the jelly to a smooth liquid in my mouth before swallowing, and it went down fine.

Tonight I was able to eat a small 100g yogurt. It was way thicker than jell-o. But it went down okay, I ate slowly.

Just go slow, you should be fine.

For those of you feeling like you can't eat it's because of the surgery trauma causing the restriction. Somewhere between day 7 and 10 you'll all be feeling like "mom2two"... The surgery swelling will subside and the hunger will come screaming back full force - (remember the picture of the roaring lion on the lap band brochure?) - then it's will power time until you get several fills.

Enjoy your temporary restriction while it lasts.

Brad

My surgery was on November 3, 2008. I feel for you. But hang in there. Interesting, when I sip on apple juice, or any juice I get a heavy dose of gas, its horrible. Try fat free yogarts and strained Soups, like the others have suggested. I found Carnantion Instant Breakfreakfast with skin milk to be great Protein supplyment twice a day.

Good luck.

I was banded on November 4th and I had the WORSE :rolleyes2: case of hiccups. Everytime I took a sip of Water, it would gurgle and then settle down.

If I ended up having too much Water in my system, then I would have the hiccups for about an hour until I discovered how to get rid of them, throw up. :cool2:

That doesn't sound like fun, but it was great relief and the hiccups stopped. By day 3, my hiccups subsided and I felt better.:D

G

I was banded on November 4th and I had the WORSE :D case of hiccups. Everytime I took a sip of Water, it would gurgle and then settle down.

If I ended up having too much Water in my system, then I would have the hiccups for about an hour until I discovered how to get rid of them, throw up. :tt2:

That doesn't sound like fun, but it was great relief and the hiccups stopped. By day 3, my hiccups subsided and I felt better.:w00t:

G

AGH!! :cool2: Don't throw up on purpose, are you crazy!?!?! You can tear your stitches and cause band slippage!!!! :rolleyes2:

I'm not advocating throwing up at all. Unfortunately, it was my only way to relieve the painful hiccups that I was having.

I wish I could have found a better solution...

G

Edited by Garth5555