Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restriction following surgery???

Amount of restriction when band was placed?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Amount of restriction when band was placed?

• I had a lot of restriction with band placement
    • I had some restriction with band placement
    • Other than being sore, couldn't tell I had been banded

I'm a month out from surgery (today!) and I feel like I do have some restriction. Frankly, I'm not sure if my doc put saline in my band or not (I forgot to ask during my first post-op visit), but I definitely have had moments of intense pain and pressure right at the band, usually after eating bread.< /p>

My first fill isn't until early December so I'm using this time to get used to eating slowly, chewing a lot and not drinking during meals. I'm also counting calories so I won't gain during this period of "bandster hell."

Breads are difficult on band people. I can not do bread... I get stuck EVERY time. I am having issues with giving up bread...a nd admit it.

I had restriction the first I'd say 3 almost 4 weeks. I didn't get my first fill until 7 weeks post op. I only got 1 cc added to what I thought was an empty band. Not true I found out. I had 3 ccs in my band at surgery, and went to 4 ccs this week. I can feel a difference. Is it where I need to be? No. But I get another fill in 2 weeks.

Teri

It is better that way, but it really isn't needed, so I'm just going to stop trying. bread has always been a bad food for me (diabetic), so I shouldn't have been eating it for 5 yrs.

teri

I think I healed very fast and didn't feel much restriction at all.

I am trying hard to pay attention to fullness, but it's hard for sure, just like dieting. lol darn it.

Good morning,

I was banded on 7/21 and within a week of liquids, I progressed to mushies with no problem. I felt no restriction at all. I had a 3 cc fill @ 5 weeks and still nothing, another 2 cc fill 4 weeks later and nothing, 1 cc fill 4 weeks after that and a little something if I ate too fast and last week I had my 4th fill taking me to 7 cc. I am really struggling. I lost 20 pounds during the pre/post op phase, but since I have been on solids, I have actually started to gain. I finally feel restirction now that I am at 7 cc, but I am having trouble dealing with the fact that "fullness" has now been replaced by pressure in my chest. I don't find that satisfying and still get hungry within a short time. My dietician said that I have the challnge the band with dense foods like meats and fibrous vegetables but these are not the things that satisfy me so I find myself right back to the eating habits that I had before the surgery. Looking for all the wrong kinds of foods - and they all slide right past the band!

Sorry to be a downer.

Linda

I am having surgery on the 12th of November and I am very SCARED I was really looking forward to it and now I am doing me pre op diet and hating it and I am worried about the post op diet and what it consist of. I ws wondering if anybody has any suggestions!!!

Thanks

I am having surgery on the 12th of November and I am very SCARED I was really looking forward to it and now I am doing me pre op diet and hating it and I am worried about the post op diet and what it consist of. I ws wondering if anybody has any suggestions!!!

Thanks

Hi Mom,

Try doing a search on this site for post-op diet (might want to look in the food and nutrition specific thread), but you should really stick to what your surgeon's office says you should eat.

Most doctors have all patients do Clear Liquids only, then slowly progress to Protein drinks/shakes followed by creamier Soups and pureed foods, then mushies, then regular foods.

Doctors can be pretty specific and like I said, some have people do Clear Liquids for 2 weeks even before they start on shakes so make sure to get an answer from your own doctor :(

My standards were sugar free crystal light, sugar free Jello and puddings, broth, sugar free popsicles, skinny cow fudge pops, Protein drinks, and instant grits/ instant polenta.

You're in the hardest stage right now, because you have no restriction so you are always feeling kinda yucky, tired, and huuuuungry! You can do it, and in a couple weeks, it will feel worth it!

Edited by cattoy71

Banded August 28, 2008 first fill at my second visit 2.5 ccs took out 1.5 ccs of air. I felt restriction right after surgery, but feel that I need another fill now. My appointment is Tuesday and will see what the doc says.

Lost 44 so far

Good luck to you, ANdrea

They put air in your band? My surgeon puts saline Water in mine. I didn't know they used air? I'm just curious :(

I had restriction until the swelling went down, then nothing until my first fill. Now only a little restriction.

I was just banded on 11/11/08 with a 3cc prefilled New Generation Lap Band, which holds 10 cc.

I feel great restriction and I am able to keep fluids down so far.:Dancing_sorry:

I had good restriction the first week, second week was moderate and it kept diminishing until the first fill after that point.

The first fill barely gave me any restriction at all at 8 weeks out. The second fill was my sweet spot with perfect restriction and I lost the majority of my weight on my second fill.

I have lost close to 100% of my excess weight in less than a year and am within 1 pound of goal. I am sure quick restriction with the second fill had everything to do with getting to goal so quickly.

I am 3 days post op and had the REalize band placed empty but for the first time in my life I am not hungry and havn't been since Tuesday! In fact I have no appetite except for the mornings...I have a Protein shake, sugar free pudding, apple sause, chicken Soup strained, canned peaches in the food proceesor, and canned pears...yum. Do I feel deprived....not in the least bit. It is a miracle!! imay change thhe o as I got ththe e wonderfu give of starting my menstrual cycle the evening I got home from out patient surgery!!

Sue: I'm glad I read your post ...The only thing I long to eat is the tuna packed in foil I purchased pre op.

I am 3 days post op and had the REalize band placed empty but for the first time in my life I am not hungry and havn't been since Tuesday! In fact I have no appetite except for the mornings...I have a Protein shake, sugar free pudding, apple sause, chicken Soup strained, canned peaches in the food proceesor, and canned pears...yum. Do I feel deprived....not in the least bit. It is a miracle!! This may change I am hoping it won't. I got a wonderfu surprise tho I started my period the evening I got home from out patient surgery!!

Sue: I'm glad I read your post ...The only thing I long to eat is the tuna packed in foil I purchased pre op. I think I'll wait on that!