Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NO will power came with band

I knew that if I had will power that I wouldn't need a lap band. However, my band came with no will power and my loving husband eats ANYTHING in front in me. Sweet huh? I would love to eat only 2 -6 ozs and 3 meals a day but I can't. I am trying and havn't lost a pound since my preop diet. Going for a therapist in couple a days. Any advice to curve hunger pains. Beating up husband sounded real good but he makes more than I do and I don't need anymore problems. hehehe!:biggrin:

You're right it doesn't and there are plenty of foods that the band will not stop from going through you which will hinder your weight loss or even make you gain. I was hoping by now people would have been told this before getting the band and I tried to get the word out myself prior to having mine removed due to that and other comps. Good luck Nancy.

You're right it doesn't and there are plenty of foods that the band will not stop from going through you which will hinder your weight loss or even make you gain. I was hoping by now people would have been told this before getting the band and I tried to get the word out myself prior to having mine removed due to that and other comps. Good luck Nancy.

Nancy, no disrespect intended, because I'm sure you have been thru the ringer... if you're so negitive about the whole band process, why continue to come here and tear us down for our choices. So far the band is working wonders for me. I'm pleased with my progress, and although it's work, I worked hard gaining the weight, eating so very much. I didn't put the weight on over night, and surely don't believe it will come off overnight.

good luck in your journey... whichever way it is.

teri

I think therapy is a great first start. My surgery is next week and I also scheduled a session with a therapist a week after my surgery. The way I see the more help the better for you and for me.

Are there any activities you can do to keep yourseld occupied? How is your protien intake?

I think therapy is great. You are right will power doesn't come with it. You need to look inside and really think before you choose.

I wish it were easier too, cause I get hungry, but you can do it! Dig deep!!

Hi Teri. I thought the same thing. If someone is so anti-band, why would they spend so much time here posting negative comments.... over and over and over. I love my band too, am having great success with it, and come here to get support and encouragement. The band is not the answer for everyone.... we know. There comes a time when you just need to move on. Becky

You don't say how long it has been since you've been banded, where you are in the healing process or if you've had any fills, so I'm having to guess here but I can offer some advice:

* If you are still in the post-op healing phase and on liquids or mushies, eat small meals more often of whatever you are allowed. Don't eat solid foods too soon, as the stitches holding the band in place need time to heal and the band needs to "settle", to prevent future slippage. Unfortunately you are unlikely to feel pain at this stage if you break the rules, but you could pay for it later. Don't worry about weight loss, just aim for healthy eating and sticking to the food plan. Avoid high fat liquids/mushies.

* If you are in "bandster hell", which is the post-healing but before the fills kick in enough to give you restriction, eat small meals more often of solid foods, making sure you chew everything thoroughly. Solid foods like lean meats and fresh vegetables will stick in your pouch and satisfy the hunger for a lot longer than liquids or mushies. Don't worry too much about quantities at this stage, as long as you stick to "good choices". Try not to let yourself get too hungry, because it is when the hunger really kicks in that we lose control and make bad choices (i.e. chips and icecream). It is actually quite difficult to go over 12-1500 cal a day eating lean meat and salads - eat multiple small meals of these and you shouldn't feel too hungry and should lose weight slowly.

* If you are in the process of getting fills AND you are already eating solid healthy food, get another fill. It takes time to get to the sweet spot and it is different for everyone. Be wary about getting too tight, however, as you will find yourself resorting to soft slider foods that are high fat/high cal and won't satisfy your hunger, causing you to snack more in a vicious circle.

Keep in mind that the band is meant to be a tool to control hunger and limit large-volume eating. It won't make the right choices for you about WHAT you put in your mouth, only stop you from eating too much of certain types of food. If you concentrate on eating all the healthy stuff first, you should find that your hunger is controllable to the point that you can say No to the bad stuff.

Good luck!!

I had a very slow start with my weight loss, I had a lot of personal issues and found myself canceling one follow up appointment after another. I finally had to tell myself that I didn't go through this for nothing, and once I set my mind to it the weight just started dropping. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't hear how great I look, and that truly keeps me going! Best of luck to you all through this journey. I am a new member here and I wish I had joined a long time ago, maybe it wouldn't have taken me so long to get started!

I knew that if I had will power that I wouldn't need a lap band. However, my band came with no will power and my loving husband eats ANYTHING in front in me. Sweet huh? I would love to eat only 2 -6 ozs and 3 meals a day but I can't. I am trying and havn't lost a pound since my preop diet. Going for a therapist in couple a days. Any advice to curve hunger pains. Beating up husband sounded real good but he makes more than I do and I don't need anymore problems. hehehe!:)

I know exactly how you feel, my wonderful husband was eating pizza, hot dogs, and hamburgers while I was in the liquid phase and I honestly wanted him to choke on it...lol but I felt like it was really a test of my will power and I didn't give in (well at least not until my mushies phase) It will get better but you have to find the strenght inside you to overcome and just remember the outcome. I try to keep those things that I want to be able to do in the back of my mind and set goals for myself...for example be able to shop at regular stores, ride roller coasters, fit into booths comfortably, etc. You might also want to talk to your husband and try and get him involved with your weight loss. I know in my case, my weight loss will greatly benefit my husband too...:) Just try and stay focused and positive! Good luck!

Monica