Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DSL vs Cable

We recently upgraded our internet service from dial-up to DSL. But it seems that 4 out of 5 times the DSL system is down when we go to use the internet.

I am grateful that hubby has the patience to continue calling the phone comp. and try to get this "fixed" - Ha! six phone calls ago I wouldve asked for dial-up again.

but now Im thinking we should just go to cable.

same monthly price.

anyone else having frustrations with DSL???

We are not serviced by either in our area. We have to have a satelight. However I would have cable over DSL. But I spend most of my time on when cable is not as busy (during the day)

My mom and her boyfriend have tried 2 times to have DSL installed, and both times within a month they've cancelled it and gone back to cable. I don't know where the issues are (with the phone company or the DSL company or what), but I think I'll just stick to cable. I have a friend who has DSL and doesn't have those problems, but would still rather have cable if he could.

I had DSL for years, because cable wasn't available when I had it installed back in 2000. But I recently switched to cable and yes, it's a LOT more reliable and faster. If it's the same price I see no reason not to go cable.

I have dsl and I love it! Had a couple problems at the start, but they resolved the issue and we haven't any problems since.:(

I am a DSL user and it's not a problem...I can't think of any time we have been down. Actually just upgraded to a faster speed and it's great.

well I'm biased cause I work for Time Warner but I love my cable connection. Never have a problem and it's quick!! My aunt switched from cable to DSL and wishes she hadn't - and is stuck with it right now for the next year cause she is in the contract.

Help! What's the difference between DSL and Cable? And please advise...we have satellite TV, no cable company for miles, but our house IS wired for cable. It sits there, not even the satellite TV need those cable lines already installed. I would love to get internet on those cables and keep my telephone lines open when I'm online, plus I'd love to have a faster service than dial-up. What to do? Great question Paula! Thanks!

We have DSL and love it. In 3 years it has been down 2 times and both times were in massive snow storms. Our phone company provides it and it is only $26.99 a month. My sister, only 2 blocks away has cable and it is $48 a month and she has tons of problems. So my vote is for DSL, it may take some time to get the bugs worked out but it is worth it. ~Mandy

We have DSL at home, we had some issues initally, but haven't had any problem.

One thing you must do if you have DSL or cable, (especially cable) is a good firewall. This is an absolute must. Zone Alarm and Black Ice Defender come to mind. I find Zone Alarm a little more difficult, but so many people really like it. I personally like Black Ice, I find it easier than Zone Alarm.

It's been a while since I've looked at the security implications of cable for internet, but at one time, cable was like the party line system. One person on the cable network could access all systems on that segment. You do NOT want other people accessing your computer, EVER.

Kathy- DSL is an internet connection that goes through your phone line, while still allowing you to make and take phone calls. If you don't have a cable company near you, it sounds like DSL would be your alternative. Cable internet goes through the cable lines, but that only works if you can get digital cable (I believe).

Hope that helps :)

Zone Alarm and Black Ice Defender

See? this is why I love you guys so much.

NEVER wouldve thought about fire walls. Thanks Crystal - thanks a LOT!

You all are way ahead of me.. I still have dial up. The cable company came around last week trying to give me a deal for DSL I think but you can tell I did not jump for the offer.. Still trying to decide.