Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm resigned that it will take 4 fills....

I just had my 2nd fill to 5.5 cc's, from 4 cc's from my 1st fill. I have seen absolutely no restriction, although I understand it may take up to 2 weeks for a fill to take effect. My doc's feeling is that essentially he wants to "sneak up" to the proper restriction, which I now know is the prudent course of action. Sooooo, it will probably take me 2 more fills to get to my sweet spot. I am resigned to it now--I will just have to deal with all the people who think my weight should be coming off by now, and I should just use this time to eat smaller portions, chew thoroughly and slowly, and to keep exercising regularly. This has been a lesson learned. I will get there eventually and I now am just going to show some patience. I finally got smart!!!!

Was just wondering why sometimes it takes up to 2 weeks for a fill to take effect. I know it is a little off the topic, sorry.

Edited by noosagirl

Dont look at it that way! For some people, yes, they have to hit a certain point before they lose.

But I found it quite different. For me, every stage of restriction was a sweet spot. At first, your body requires only a small calorie restriction to start letting go of the weight. So you dont need a lot of restriction because as long as you choose healthy, eating a cup and a half of food each meal is easily enough to have you losing. Sooner or later that peters out, you get another fill. Now eating a cup at a meal will start the loss again. Then a few months later, you've stopped losing. So have another fill and drop to 3/4 of a cup. Then 1/2 if that's what it takes - personally I never needed to drop below about 3/4 of a cup.

But sneaking up IS prudent even if you end up being one that doesnt lose until you get really good restriction.

The patient's Lap Band constricts when the patient receives a fill. Swelling for a few days after receiving a fill is very common. Many doctors require a patient to go on a liquid diet for a day or two after receiving a fill. A fill may have a “Delayed Action” of up to 4 weeks. A “Delayed-Action” means that the fill may not become effective for up to 4 weeks after the fill. That is why the ALLERGAN protocol states that fills should not be performed on patients who will not have access to medical care for at least two weeks after a fill.

The above is where I got the "it may takes 2 weeks to take effect" from.

Jacquie--Congratulations for losing below your targeted weight loss!! You are apparently a very disciplined person!! It makes me wonder how the heck you gained all the weight in the 1st place. For me, I am struggling yet with some lifelong demons still with me. Like Portion Control, environmental control, food choices at times still a problem for me. On top of that I still have a bit of emotional eating creeping in. I know it's only been since 8/28 that I was banded, but unless I clear up these "problems", I won't lose the weight--restriction or not. That is just me. But I have identified the problems and am working hard to change. And identifying the problem is half way to the solution. I am also exercising again, which is something I got away from. I hope to get where you are, totally issue-free, and just concentrating on eating the right, healthy foods, in the correct amount. God willing, I'll get there.

Oh, I have as many head issues as the next person, lol!

I think the greatest part of my success was exercise - I run regularly. I am discplined in that respect because I have to be - to allow for my eating, lol. I am no dieter. I dont go without much. But I've learned to keep it appropriate, and I've learned damage control for when I dont.

I think its important not to think that those who have succeeded are some kind of super people who've overcome all issues. They arent. We will all have to work ont his for a lifetime. But it IS doable - focus on your strengths and learn to manage your weaknesses and you will get there.

Jachut, great advice and well put. Another good thought I like to use is thinking if I control what I eat on a regular basis, there will never have to be another diet again, never, just use my tool to tell me how much to eat.

Another is your saying "shut your gob and move your Ass" great, tels it all. enough talking already lets get on with it.

I wonder if those food demons will ever go awayor just be easier to control. I have another 15 lbs to go, it is always the hardest to get those last lbs off. Double the workouts exercise to you drop and nothing goes. Then you are very hungry and the cyscle starts all over again. eat exersize, sleep and do it again. I have incorporated doing some free wts in my office a couple of times a day taking those sort walks and stretches. I think it helps the kinks.

Anyhoo, every have a great day!! watch those elbows..:eek: