Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Extremely Depressed

When did I say anything that sounded like I wanted it to do it for me?! What I said was that I understood that I wasn't having any luck by dieting and excersing on my own so I chose to try the band to help me out. Hence...using it as a tool to success. What I also said is that the band is so far not doing any of the things it was intended for. I still eat small well balanced meals just like I did for the past 2 years but I just feel like it's no different from before. The band does have a purpose as I'm sure you know. This tool is supposed to work by slowing down the time it takes for food to pass through your stomach, which keeps you from getting hungry between meals and also help by making you full faster and that is not what's happening. These are the questions my surgeon asks me everytime I go in because he knows that's what's supposed to be happening. The result is that I'm always hungry and can eat more than I should at any given time. So before you start regurgitating the same montra that people on this site always tend to do why don't you take another minute and read what I actually wrote. I know the band is a tool...I stated that and I live by that. What I would like to happen is for this tool to help me out just a little by actually working.

is this not what you wrote?

Everybody keeps saying you have to exercise and you have to eat right. If I could do that I wouldn't have ever had any reason to get the band. I got banded so that I could slowly train myself to do these things and have the band act as a tool to assist me by limited the amount of food intake at any given time and helping me stay full.

then you change and say you excerise and eat right (small amounts) not understanding what you are trying to say. to me it seems you are trying to justify this to us you dont have too. im not trying to be mean or rude im trying to get you to understand you have to change in order for the weight loss to happen.

right now you are very negative and i hope you can change this around you need to be positive if you want this to work. also its pretty simple math a lb=3500 calories so in order for you to lose weight you have to burn those calories some way or another. secondly you have to take in less calories then you eat in order for you to burn the excess. at the same time you have to not get yourself in "starvation mode"

i got banded on july 3rd and i had two fills no i dont feel restriction yes i can eat bread easily yes i can eat anything i want without chewing like a horse. i get hungry within 2 to 4 hours. all this is true i was like you the second month post op i was so frustrated and pissed because i didnt lose a lb. i was bummed for like two weeks. wasnt sure what i wanted to do but i did realized that im in control of everything. so i started excerising do i like too of course not. do i need too yes. i needed motivation so i got myself a personal trainer. did it cost alot YES but then i look if i didnt start excerising and trying to eat healthier then where would i be now. would i still be in a slump would i just complain about my non weightloss? i dont know what i would feel or do if i didnt excerise. but dont matter because its the past.

now i feel million times better and ready to take on another day. everyday i struggle and i think about it everyday and i choose to do something about it i dont want to be fat and unhealthy i want to be healthy and slim. HOT AND SEXY as i like to call it.

There's something wrong with your band. Thats the bottom line. It kills me how everyone is always saying just exercise more/eat less. You would not need the band if you could do that. You should loss weight if the band if working properly. You may loss slower than someone who runs 2 miles per day and once you get closer to your goal weight exercise will certainly help, but you should be losing more and it's not your fault. Something is wrong with the band. Where were you banded?

Hi Chic,

Just want to lend my support. I have had 1 fill (yesterday) and am still very hungry. I'm hoping that I feel restriction very soon and hope you do as well. You hang in there and I agree what's the point of going through all of this if the band wasn't going to help us not want to eat so much! Do you know the size of your band and how much has been put in? Perhaps you got the 14cc? I got the 10 cc and I think it makes a difference.

If there is not a leak in your band, it sounds like the doctor needs to get more aggresive with the fills. Maybe he can even do it under x-ray and try to get you closer to restriction. GOOD LUCK!!

Hope you are feeling better about things soon! Are you seeing a therapist? If not, might help to have a neutral party to talk about why you are eating and deal with some of those issues as well. It really helped get my head in the right place for the surgery.

I just have to chime in and clear something up.. if you were told that the band limits the amount of food you can eat, well thats not exactly true. Gastric bypass limits the amount of food because your little pouch can only hold so much and if you over eat you will throw it up.

The band can in a sense work like this.. but only when you are to your 'sweet spot' (the place where you eat the correct amount and you feel full and are losing 1-2 lbs per week) even then however you can still over eat.. there is something called eating around the band.. you can eat constantly or graze or drink liquid calories and still take in too many calories.. its amazing how fast those little buggers add up.

with the band you still have to eat very small portions. count calories and in a sense diet.. now this is hard in the beginning because you will still feel hungry at times until you get the proper tightness.. the tightening of the band is actually more to make you feel full and make you feel full longer.. it does not actually limit the amount you can eat as a general rule.. (however for some people it can)

I was banded 5 days before you and believe me I know right where you are. I lost 18 lbs quickly in the beginning and for the last month and a half its been like pulling teeth to get the scale to move at all. I even gained a lb back before my first fill. we have to remember however that this is a marathon and not a sprint. I know it gets exciting when the lbs fly off in the beginning and you feel like "yes" I am getting free! my advice.. and this is what I am doing for myself.. get on www.livestrong.com and set your self up with a diary, calorie counter, and exercise log. its all free on there and its easy to use. this will keep you accountable. 2nd look up progress pics on this site and look at the amazing results of those who kept going and didnt give in.. it will make you want it more.. and lastly.. inspire yourself.. set some realistic goals and go for it!! I bought 2 pairs of jeans 2 more sizes down. and set a goal for christmas.. do what ever it takes to keep going..

and lastly.. try to remember that people on this site are trying to help one another.. banded or not. :sad_smile:

I agree that we shouldn't be on the attack. To me it seems there is something wrong with her band and if she is not feeling any restriction after four fills then there is a problem. It's easy to tell someone to make better food choices and exercise more (I think I've heard that for years). This was an expensive tool that we all expect to give us at least some kind of restriction as to the amount of food we can eat. If it's not working then we question what is going on.

16_15_13.gifHello Chic. Stop being depressed. Everyone loses differently on the band. Nobody can tell you how many fills it will take for you to have restriction. I am on fill #5 and now have restriction. I had a little after my 4th fill, but not much. It might take you fill#8 to have it. Just be patient and hang in there. I am praying your next fill will give you restriction.

sig.jsp?pc=[object Object]&pp=ZRxdm609NVUS

the only thing I can add is that there may be nothing wrong with the band.. because everyone is different.. and some people may take 2 fills and some may take 8.. it depends on the size of your band and the aggressiveness of the doctor who fills it.. some docs go really slow and try to creep up on the sweet spot so that you dont expierence over fill.. other docs are agressive and go for it! it depends on how much you get each fill and so on.. so its hard to say that if you are not there at 4 fills that something could be wrong..

I dont know if you get fills with flouroscopy.. but I cant imagine how they do them without it!! when I get my fills I am standing right in front of the flouroscopy machine and they can see how fast or slow the barium moves through. without that they are just guessing.. and I think thats why they may be less aggressive. some docs also go slow so it give you time to work on your eating habits. I know sometimes they fear if the person hasnt resolved those habits that if they fill a person tight and then they binge eat they can hurt themselves.. I dont know.. all I know is every doc and every person is different..

bottom line.. hang in there!! you'll get there!!