Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Lap Band After Gastric Bypass People Out There?

New to site. Researching Lap Band after a failed Gastric Bypass 12 years ago. (Roux-en-Y). Wanted to know if there are people out there that had a gastric bypass a few years ago and are now being banded? Want to find out how it is going for you personally, any risks, what went wrong with bypass, etc. Need someone to talk to about this. Thanks!:biggrin:

I had Gastroplasty(stomach stapling) 26 years ago... It's not the same, but it was a major deal back then. I had quite an ordeal with mine. Everything went well and I lost a lot of weight and then got pregnant. Of course they wanted my weight loss to slow during pregnancey, but I wan't able to stop. As it turned out the opening in the staple line grew shut and after 15 months I had gone from near 400 to 140..... I was starving to death and completly anemic and malnourished by the time they decided to deliver the baby 5 weeks early. I was down to 120 and I had to have it reversed to save my life. Then they put me on a diet to gain weight (?????!!!!!!) And told me the trick would be to stop when I was healthy again. Of course that didn't happen and I have been heavy most of those 24 following years.... I didn't think I could have LB, but I called anyway and was surprised to be told that they thought it was possible. I had to have a stomach x-ray to determine the condition of my stomach. It was good to go. The only thing they warned me about was that with all the scar tissue I might need a full incision rather that the laproscopic... That is what happend. I have an 11 inch incision and was in the hospital for 4 days after banding. The banding went very well and I have lost 47 pounds. I was banded on 8-21, so two months tomorrow. I'm very pleased and am so glad I chose to do this. I hope things work out well for you.. Julie

You are very lucky to be alive! 26 years ago!! I thought 12 years ago was a big deal. Things have changed so much since then. The support is so much better now-I think that has alot to do with it. I didn't have one problem with the gastric bypass. I dropped weight quickly and felt pretty good other than being a bit amenic. Over the years I put on a few pounds here and there and now I am almost back to where I started. You had such a terrible time so I am sure it is hard to judge the pros/cons of having a lapband after bypass. Can you tell me about what it is like for you now? Do you know of anybody else out there that can relate to my situation?

I am looking into a lap band procedure for my failed gastric bypass (open surgery) from 2001. As you mentioned, I was also sucessful intially and the weight dropped off. After 18 months the weight loss seemed to stop and I have been going up, up , up every since. I am now only 30lb from my intial weight of 272 in 2001. I called Day One in Chicago tonight, a counselor is supposed to call me in the morning. I hope I will qualify as a canidate since I had the open surgery in 2001 I am afraid they may say its too much scar tissue. Hae you had any progress in this area??

Andrea

Hi. I am in the first stages of getting an appointment to see the surgeon who will do bands after bypass surgery. We have only one in Portland, Maine. My original surgeon doesn't. I am also about 25 lbs. from my original weight of 315. My husband also had bypass 2 years after me and he has gained it all back plus more. We dropped the weight VERY quickly and kept it off for a couple of years. Then...you know the rest. We both have always been able to eat more than they said we were suppose to. I am sure that over the years we've stretched our stomach or something. I just had a test the other day (scope down my throat) to see what things look like after 12 years. I don't know results yet since I haven't seen the surgeon. The thing that I don't like is that I am hungry every few hours. Nothings seems to stay with me anymore. I tend to graze all day which I know is wrong and bad for me. Things pass through to fast. Maybe because I drink to much, I don't know. I also feel like a big failure. I was given that wonderful opportunity to change my life and I couldn't even make that work. That makes me also feel bad about myself. I am hoping with a second chance and better support than what was available 12 years ago-I can make it work this time. Please share your story with me. Thanks. Brenda (MaineMom)

Hi, Hope this info. might help

StomaphyX

Do I Qualify? | Bariatric Surgery | Lap Band | Realize Band | Gastric Bypass | Health Benefits | StomaphyX |

Risks | Choosing a Procedure | BMI

This revolutionary procedure is now available for individuals who have had previous gastric bypass surgery and who are regaining weight. This procedure involves no incisions and no recovery and involves placing an endoscope through the mouth into the stomach pouch. The connection between the stomach pouch and small intestines is then sutured resulting in slower emptying of the stomach, earlier satiety and more weight loss. The procedure also shrinks the stomach pouch, similar to the outcome of the original gastric bypass procedure.

stomaphyx1.jpgstomaphyx2.jpg

Benefits of the StomaphyX procedure include:

• No need for abdominal or internal surgical incisions.
  • Reduces the size of the stomach.
  • Preserves future treatment options.
  • In most cases, is performed on an outpatient basis.
  • Essentially painless.
  • Faster recovery than open or laparaoscopic procedures.

At the New Jersey Bariatric Center, StomaphyX procedure can give a second chance to post bariatric surgery patients. It can prevent hunger and help you improve your chances for long-term weight loss success. If this type of surgery sounds like it could help you, contact our office to schedule a consultation.

Click here to read an article about Dr. Goyal and the StomaphyX procedure.

Click here for more information on StomaphyX

Click here for StomaphyX Patient Instructions

StomaphyX FAQs

Q: What is StomaphyX?

A: The StomaphyX procedure is a surgical method of reshaping the stomach pouch without incisions.

Q: What is the procedure like?

A: The StomaphyX procedure is performed safely, quickly, comfortably, with no incisions and with minimal downtime.

Because food in the stomach may hamper visualization during the treatment, patients will be asked not to eat or drink for 12 hours prior to the procedure. Prior to the procedure, the patient will be given anesthesia. While under anesthesia the flexible StomaphyX device will be gently lowered through the mouth into the stomach under the visualization of an endoscope “camera” placed down the shaft of the device. Once inside the stomach, a small section of the stomach wall will be suctioned up into the device and fastened with a suture-like fastener creating a full thickness fold called a plication. This will be repeated 10-20 times.

Q: What is the recovery like?

A: Most patients can return to work the next day or within a few days following their StomaphyX procedure. Patients should expect to experience some discomfort in their chest, nose and throat for the first few days to a week after the procedure. Patients will be will be given dietary guidelines to help maximize their success while the plications heal. There are no restrictions in physical activity after the procedure. Typically a soft/liquid diet is required for 10 days to two weeks to protect the newly restored stomach pouch.

Q: Is StomaphyX safe?

A: StomaphyX has been proven safe in use in hundreds of procedures worldwide. To date, side effects have been minimal and transient. The StomaphyX procedure is expected to be safer than traditional surgery which often involves incisions in the skin for access to the organs, and cutting around the organs to free the desired area for suturing. With StomaphyX, there are no incisions inside on the organs or outside on the skin. This reduces or eliminates the risk of incisional herniation, infection, adhesions or scarring. StomaphyX procedures are particularly attractive replacements for revisional surgery because revisional surgery is among the most complex and dangerous types of surgery.

Last year I was told by my doctor that insurance does not cover this procedure. Do you know if this is still the case?

Stomaphyx that is