Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else banded on 10/14/08?

I was just hoping to find others that were banded the same day as me and see how everyone is doing. I'd love to hear how you're feeling and how your recovery is going.

As for me, my biggest struggle is the pain caused by stitching my port to my muscle. It doesn't hurt if I'm sitting in a reclined position or laying on my back, but standing or sitting upright is painful. It's getting better as the days progress, but it's making me very thankful that I took 2 weeks off of work instead of 1.

I've had a couple moments where I was really hungry. Right now, I'm only drinking an ounce of Water every 10 minutes and that's it. I get to start back on Protein shakes on Wednesday (the 22nd).

My husband is amazing... which I already knew, but he has really been wowing my socks off during this process. I hope all of you have a support person helping you, I can't imagine doing this myself.

I thought having all this time to sit and read, watch movies, surf the web, etc would be like a vacation but I'm already really bored. We're going to go for a drive today to get me out of the house.

How are you all doing?

Sarah

Sarah: I was banded in Columbus on 10/15. I am doing quite well too. I was the first patient banded on that day and came home the same day. I was on a clear liquid diet the first couple of days. Now I am on a full liquid. However, I feel better when I don't eat. I'm not quite sure why but after I eat my stomach hurts. Even though I am eating cream of wheat or baby food anything and everything makes my stomach hurt. I know I need to eat and drink but even drinking hurts me as well. I wish someone could explain the "discomfort" after eating.

SLC

I had my surgery on Oct 16th. I'm hungry too. Why cant you have a Protein Shake once per day? How are you getting your Protein? I have been drinking Water, tea, crystal lite, and I am going to have clear broth tonite. I think the discomfort that eveyone is talking about is the feeling of indigestion, like a pain or pressure right under your breastbone. Its the same feeling as if you took too many aspirin and it bothers your stomach. Right now, my stomach is still sore but feeling better. It hurts when I get up from a chair and try to straitghen up. My stomach has been growling practically all day. I cant wait until these 2 weeks are up and I can have sodt food!

Whenever I eat or drink anything I feel like I could throw up -- almost like I stuff myself and I only had cream of wheat or Soup. I hope this feeling will go away because it makes me not want to eat anything. I could have a Protein shake but I don't feel like eating it. I think tomorrow I will make a smoothie with fruit and Protein and see how that goes down. I am sure this is just part of the healing process because I don't have any restriction and probably won't for about a month. Is there some reason you can't have a Protein Shake? It is liquid and has lots of protein. I definately am not getting enough protein and tomorrow I need to do better at that. :-)

Overall I feel pretty good. I also am sore and it hurts to bend over and dry my feet after showering. I wake up every morning at 5:00 a.m. with a backache and get out of bed and switch to our media room chairs that lay flat and sleep until about 9:00.

I have a support group meeting on Tuesday so that might answer some of my questions. Riverside Hospital in Columbus, Ohio has them once a month. There is another support group that meets the second Saturday of every month at the food court (LOL) at a local mall. I plan to attend that next month as well. Where were you banded?

Hi Sarah. I was also banded on 10/14. I can honestly say that my pain has not been bad. The last day I took pain med was Thurs. 10/16. On Friday I took two doses of Tylenol and have had nothing since. My biggest problem was the fatigue. Until yesterday it was horrible. I took two or three naps a day. Today was a good day. I didn't need a nap and we took the kids to the movies. I also haven't been very hungry. I was on Clear liquids the first 48 hours and now am on full liquids. I try to drink two Protein drinks a day but am finding that hard. Today I had a Protein Drink, some Tomato Soup and some broth from the chicken and dumplings that my family had for dinner. I am going to try to get the last Protein drink in before bedtime.

My husband has also been really wonderful. He has taken care of everything for me. I feel guilty just sitting while he cooks, cleans and does laundry, and he feels guilty for eating in front of me.

I hope all continues to progress well.

Kim

I was also banded on Oct 14 and also went home that night. Today I feel just about normal, only a little gas pain today. Im on liquids for 2 weeks, my Dr. doesnt want me to have Protein Shakes, i dont know why, but i have clear Protein that i hate!! So i went to GNC and got some protein bullets. They seem to fill me up and have 42 grams of protein. I drink half in the morning and the rest for dinner, mixed with very little Water and a couple ice cubes. Tastes kinda like a liquid jolly rancher. Im not supposed to have anything creamy. Can you guys feel your port? I can, its kinda freaky!!