Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello from a new guy

Hi all,

I first decided to seriously look into lap band back in August when my weight, in spite of increased activity after recovery from knee replacement, continued to climb til I finally broke 290.

I was referred to a bariatric surgeon here in the DFW area by a friend.

I can't believe it was so simple to get thru the pre-op process. I went to the doc's web site and filled out an inquiry. 3 weeks later they called and said my insurance company approved me for the band! I had never even spoken to ins co or doc before that. Amazing! I have United Health Care and they are awesome! The doc and his staff are also great, Arlington Bariatric Center, Dr. Richard Carter. I do have other factors such as hypertension and joint problems. Believe me, one knee replacement is one too many.

Anyway, I got banded on Tuesday, Oct 14, and am now struggling through the Clear liquids phase. Not doing too badly except for the bad post-op gas. Hope that stops soon. So far I am down 12 and I'm excited about the prospect of finally getting back to normal weight.

I did lots of research before deciding, and this forum was the single best thing I found, and the information I got here, and the positive attitudes of so many members, was probably the most important factor in my decision. Thank you to you all! I am looking forward to being part of this community..

Welcome Mike! I'm glad you are doing well and adjusting. I too had horrible gas pain after surgery. Mine lasted about 2 weeks, but I'm very susceptible to it. I had it bad after all my other surgeries too. The only thing that seemed to help me was walking and riding in the car (after about 7 days, before that it was painful).

I too have United Healthcare and had a great experience. My doc is Adam Smith in FTW. So far I've had a great experience and am so glad I had it done. I've also heard great things about Dr. Carter.

Good luck to you on your new journey. I love the site and I have made lots of good friends here. Everyone is usually so helpful and amazing. No matter what question has come up for me, chances are someone else has already experienced it! Take care!!

God bless you i get banded on 10/22 i am nervous about the liquid diet i just dont want to fail or cause any injury to myself..how is it are you starving....

Hi txmike. Welcome. First of all, congratulations on being banded!! Sounds like your insurance company made things much easier for you than most do. Too bad they all can't be like that. This site was very helpful for me too. I had many of my questions answered and concerns addressed and felt very ready by the time I had my surgery done. I have made some very good friends here too. It is so nice to talk to people who really do know what you mean and how you feel. Good luck to you!! Take care of yourself and keep in touch. Becky

Txmike.. congrats on being banded and welcome.. Glad you have found a lot of helpful information. I was banded on Oct 1st and I am glad for this site as well..It is nice to be able to talk to so many people who know just what you are feeling.. Best wishes to you and keep us posted on your recovery..

Thanks to all above for the replies and encouragement. I've never seen another internet forum with so many positive, encouraging people. I am sure this is going to be a valuable resource over the long term and I hope that I can contribute appropriately.

I think I am starting to get hungry but maybe it is just the discomfort from the post-op gas. I am doing OK so far, but now counting the minutes until Sunday when I move to 'anything you can mush with a fork'. I think this means stuff like pea Soup, which will help a lot. Seems my doc is not as

strict on the Clear Liquids as some, I am only on clear for 5 days. I am now scouring this forum for food ideas for my next phase..

Txmike.. Lucky you only had 5 days.. I had liquids for 8 and OH MY i was so sick of Protein shakes I could not take it anymore ha ha, but I behaved and managed to make the through the full 8 days.. the very first food I had was some scrambled eggs and I could barely eat them, but they tasted SO SO good.. During my mush stage I also enjoyed tuna and Soup and there were other things, but I am going to be honest I have forgotten ha ha amazing how all the weeks begin to blend together.. When I made my eggs I used the egg beaters .. they were the easiest and healthiest and I would add a piece of cheese on top and melt it now and then.. Can you tell I really lived on my eggs ha ha.. I still have them almost every morning for Breakfast. I seem to have a lot of restriction when I wake up in the mornings so eggs go in the easiest..

Did you doctor tell you if there was in Fluid in your band to start??

Hi Meschultz,

Yes I was pretty lucky all around. Not only with 5 days on clear, but the whole process was simple, no psyc, no pre-op diet. Thanks for your input on the 'mash' phase.

My doc did not say if the band already has Fluid in it, but it feels like it does. I am still suffering from gas and have trouble burping. I am going to call Monday and ask about the current Fluid amount. My BMI was relatively low at <36, and I am surprised at how easy it was to get insurance approval.

It is amazing...I am 96 hours post-op and i have lost 20lbs! I am well-hydrated so it must be 20 real lbs..

I'm already getting pretty excited about being able to easily buy clothes!

Hi Mike,

I live in Idaho and I have just completed the pre-op phase of evaluation. I haven't scheduled my surgery date yet. I am hoping that will happen next week. I am really interested in hearing what the process has been like for you. What does your stomach look like after surgery? I know what the models on the internet look like as fars as the stomach diagrams, but what does an actual person look like? When you loose the weight does the tube show under the skin? I am happy that you were able to have your surgery done so quickly. I will be watching your blog to see what the experience has been like for you.

Best Wishes

Sunbunny

Hi,

I just finished my psych evaluation and I meet with the surgeon on Monday. What has the process been like for you? Are you glad you had the surgery done?

I meet with the dietician on November 12. I hope to have my surgery done before Christmas.

I am both excited and nervous.

Sunbunny

Hey TX.. I am pretty surprise it was that easy with UHC as well.. but hey take what you can get right :tongue_smilie: My insurance was fairly easy as well..I work for the hospital where I had it done so the insurance they have says GO FOR IT... I only took as long as I did because I had just started there so I had to complete my 90days.. Otherwise I could have had my surgery completed prob about a month early, but it is all good. It worked out and I am well on my way to being a looser and loving every minute. As will u.. Congrats on the 20lbs.. the liquid diet is where you loose it the quickest.. If drinking the shakes did not get so old I would still be doing that, but you know you must have variety in life.. my weight loss sold down quite a bit when I hit soft foods.. I am still loosing just not as fast.. I would think it would melt off though since I barely eat my hubby and I go out and share a plate of food and we are lucky if we finish that ha ha.. It saves a lot of money for sure.. Last night we went do dinner me him and our son and only spent 15 dollars including tip at a sit down restaurant ha ha it was great..one of many things to look forward to :tt1:

TX one more thing.. the gas does suck, but believe me it goes away.. For about a week I had to stand leaning forward with my hands on the couch or a bed in order to burp.. So lady like I know, but when you feel that bad you do what you have to do ha ha.. walking is also helpful at moving it around.. Good luck.. I hope it goes away soon