Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded Sept 30th. I am now 18 days post op and "supposed" to be on a pureed diet. I have lost 10 pounds so far but 7 of them were the first week after being banded. Today I had some sweet and sour chicken and fried rice for lunch (mooched from co-workers Chinese take out) and 4 Fig Newtons. I'm hungry, I am gagging on Jello, and I am afraid I am going to fail or damage my band as I am supposed to still be on purees until 6 weeks post op.

Also, I saw my regular PCP Wednesday because of pain in the area of my left kidney. After testing my urine for various things (all negative) she thinks its muscular related since it started after surgery. While it is not constant, when its active it freakin hurts! I wonder if something is inside me or if my kidney was "knicked" during surgery as this does not feel like muscular pain.

I was scheduled to see my surgeon for my 1st fill on Nov 3 but because I am working that day I had to r/s to Nov 10th :smile: I have the Realize lap band and I wonder if I should ask him to give me good amount of saline with my first fill.

Does anyone have any advice for me?? HELP!!!

YES. YOU CAN DAMAGE YOUR BAND BY EATING SOLIDS. You put yourself at enormous risk for a slipped band. You need to regroup, and get back to your pureed diet now. I cannot stress this enough.

I'd take Tylenol for the kidney pain and follow up with your doc in a few days if you don't feel better.

As for your first fill, your doc will probably follow the guidlines set forth by the manufacturer for the first fill. There probably is no leeway on the amount... GL!

did you let your surgeon know of the pain? If not you should call their again and let them know as they may want to see you b4 your regular post op appt. Good Luck

I can't yell at you for not following your doc's orders completely because i did not either. (even though i'm sure thats best) What I can say is that if you are going to be eating non pureed foods, at least eat healthy things i.e. not sweet and sour chicken and fried rice! Also, be sure you're not drinking any liquid calories. As for the pain, I wouldn't ignore it if it continues, I had a serious complication right after surgery, best not to wait. Good luck!

I'm going to get the band police after me, but I think you'll be ok. Most doctors have the patients on regular food by the third week and for sure by the 4th week. I guess your doctor is just one of those rare doctors who make you wait that long. You're almost 3 weeks out.. I do agree with whoever said to quit eating that fried rice and all that.. Don't you know.. you can't start cheating until much much later. lol. yeah yeah, just kidding.. well, sorta, I did have a chocolate brownie last night.. anyway.. eat some tuna, fish, Soups, light stuff for now... you'll be fine.

Well I am agreeing with everyone is saying but I will say this, once the first week is over and most of the surgery pain is done, you start feeling like you are starving..believe me I know! When the band is first placed is is so loose around your stomach, it's is like there is nothing even there. It's funny how it works, because the doctors are like stay on a liquid/puree diet for whatever the amount of weeks are, and it's like if I could do that I wouldn't of had weight loss surgery in the first place! lol

I made it 9 days without eating anything, but from there I ate solid foods. Just don't eat anything too heavy. I basically ate scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes. Don't eat any heavy meats at all just in case something happens cauz you dont want to have to go through the surgery again. I don't care what anyone says, no one makes it the whole time, just be extremely careful.

Everyone likes to play inspirational speaker on here.. I will be honest, the band is rough and hard, but it is well worth it. You will not feel like anything is really different until you get your first adjustment, and that usually only lasts a week. After you get your second they will begin to last longer. The adjustments sometimes become a pain in the a$$, if you work full time because of time you need off.

They say in all of the seminars you only lose a lb a week, but it is really determined on you. I was banded in Febuary, lost an intial 15 lbs after surgery, gained it right back..and then finally in May I had my second adjustment which lasted longer and since May until now (I just had my fourth adjustment) I am about to hit my 100 lbs loss mark.(technically it took 5 months)

Good luck! and I hope I helped!

I am 10 days post op and am still on a liquid diet, will go to pureed foods Monday or Tuesday. I am friggin hungry!! I had a cracker today, chewed it until it was liquified, and some milk. Don't think that I did any damage, but at least it stopped my tummy from growling so much!:smile:

Hey Wtf,

I am in the same time line you are. I have lost 20 lbs and holding. I am eating mushie. What I do is eat about every two and onehalf hours(about a half cup) I am hungry.:smile: But drink Water in between that help alot to keep you feeling full. I go for my first fill on 10/29. I hope I can stay on mushie till then. Good luck to you and lets keepeach other posted. Melanie:thumbup:

mrsezova, I was banded the same day as you and I totally know what you are talking about. I lost 11 pounds that first week, and only 2 since. I was so happy after that first week that I was REALLY feeling bad about the 1 1/2 weeks since. I go for my first fill on Nov 7th, so hopefully that will jump start the losing. Good Luck to you.

I am so feeling your pain....I was banded on 9/23 with 2 weeks of Clear liquids pre-op and now I'm supposed to be on a liquid diet for 4 weeks after, that's six weeks total with just liquids. I did very well on the pre-op and then well for another week. But after my one week visit after pre-op I got kind of mad. Kind of mad that my doctor is so strict. I know he's the best and I'm stupid to complain and not follow his directions, but I feel like he's putting me, (who has always loved food) through such suffering. If I had been able to not eat all along I wouldn't have needed the surgery. So unfortuntaley, I've not been able to keep from cheating since 1 week after surgery. I'm scared to death my bad will slip, I sure hope not.

Anyway, just try your best and I totally can relate to what you are saying. I sure hope my first fill on 10/21 feels restrictive.

Hang in there!:smile:

i was also banded in Sept (26). I was on liquids for 2 wks, puree for 2wks and then soft for 2 then normal food. I also have found with some things I'm hungry. What I have found successful is eating starkist 2.8 oz pre packaged tuna. That seems to fill me up. Protien seems to do the job. I have also had boston market becuse i was kind of stuck so I ate creamed spinach, sweet potatos and regular potatos (not all at once) I am also drinking 60+ ozs of Water with crystal light. My first fill is not until after thanks giving so I feel your pain...hang in there.

I was banded the same day as you and had my 2 week check up this week. They told me that they would do a fill if I was hungry all of the time. Call the surgeon's office and talk to the nurse. Like you, I am on mushies, but I have discomfort when I get "full". Make sure you are drinking plenty of Water and making the right food choices if you have to "cheat". Buy plenty of low calorie /sugar free soft Snacks so you don't fill up on empty calories. And try to exercise when you get the urge to eat everything in the house. You can do this and you have come too far to screw anything up.

Hi this is my first post reply..hope it goes thru.

I had my surgery last week but then I am on a different postop diet plan than you are - one week of Clear Liquids, 2 weeks on 'creamy soups' and then starting day 22, I can start on solid foods.

BUT, the whole thing about the band is that you need to focus on the lifestyle change...for the rest of your life. The band is there as a tool and you need to do the rest of the work.

There is a reason for why we are going in progressive stages to relearn how to eat healthier and to adjust with the band. Eating slowing and carefully by the eating guidelines helps maximize our weight loss and the band will get use to the idea of being full. Remember, to sip, sip, sip and walk, walk, walk! In between your 'meals', drink your Protein Water, juices to keep having the 'full' feeling.

Hope this helps you!

JazzyJude =)

Hi I am very interested in more information on your experience. I was banded on Oct. 7th. With the 5 day preop diet until now I have lost 21 lbs. But the facts are not that simple. I lost most of it from the start of the preop until about 3 days post op. I feel no restriction whatsoever. I am still slightly sore at the port but otherwise the surgery was very easy. I did every thing I was told and now feel fine just slight soreness at the port site. But I am starving. I tried testing it last night to see and sure enough I can eat anything. No side affects at all. My first fill is Nov. 17th. What I do feel is thirsty all the time and I am drinking probably 100oz a day all non-caffeine teas or Water. What drove me to try real food was horrible upset stomach from all the artificial sweeteners. I have 110 lbs more to lose. So your experience with the fills is very interesting to me. Right now I have serious buyers remorse and hunger. One problem that exasperates my situation and led to this massive weight gain over the past 8 years is a very serious foot condition that prohibits any distance walking. I have just bought a recumbent bike and this weekend I am going to see how I handle that with the little bit of residual surgical pain I have. Any additional information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by floridaMary

Hi Mary!

I was banded on Oct 8th! during my preop diet I lost 12 lbs but I am not weighing until one month, Nov 8th. Because my stomach area is still swollen and bruise inside, from the surgery, so for some people, we don't lose right away, but some do. Remember...you do NOT have a fill yet, so you won't have any restictions until you first fill on Nov 17? Mine is on Dec 6, which will be the end of the 8th week, as I can't do it a week before Thanksgiving or have it done on Thanksgiving weekend, for that is when I do my Xmas shopping (smile).

Personally I only drink Protein Water (Special K2O - strawberry kiwi) and I do a Protein shake. Proteins helps curbs your hunger and thirst. Also, I don't drink tea during the day, just at night. I have a popsicle at night as my 'treat'.

Anyway, the point is...give the band a chance and choose quality foods with lots of Proteins. At this stage, don't worry about the calorie intake or even the card right now. We are new and our body is trying to adjust to the new change.

Hope this helps you Mary!

Jude =)

Hi I am very interested in more information on your experience. I was banded on Oct. 7th. With the 5 day preop diet until now I have lost 17lbs. But the facts are not that simple. I lost most of it from the start of the preop until about 3 days post op. I feel no restriction whatsoever. I am still slightly sore at the port but otherwise the surgery was very easy. I did every thing I was told and now feel fine just slight soreness at the port site. But I am starving. I tried testing it last night to see and sure enough I can eat anything. No side affects at all. My first fill is Nov. 17th. What I do feel is thirsty all the time and I am drinking probably 100oz a day all non-caffeine teas or Water. What drove me to try real food was horrible upset stomach from all the artificial sweeteners. I have 110 lbs more to lose. So you experience with the fills is very interesting to me. Right now I have serious buyers remorse and hunger. One problem that exasperates my situation and led to this massive weight gain over the past 8 years is a very serious foot condition that prohibits any distance walking. I have just bought a recumbent bike and this weekend I am going to see how I handle that with the little bit of residual surgical pain I have. Any additional information or advice would be greatly appreciated.