Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP! Anyone Post-Op and taking Wellbutrin?

How are you taking it? I have tried crushing it up and putting it in drinks, ice cream, smoothies...nothing seems to make it bearable. I have to take it 3x a day and it is soooo bitter that I start to throw it up.

Anyone have a success story for me?

Tell your prescribing doctor. They have a sustained release form so you can take it less often (and actually once you have restriction you'll need to be retitrated because regular doses may stay in your pouch, effectively being "sustained release)

And how big are they? If they are M & M sized or smaller (I don't remember and my drug book doesn't have pictures) you should be able to just take them. If not, call your pharmacist (once you check w/prescribing doc) You may be able to dissolve it in some juice and drink it, or put it in some SF pudding etc. Just start with your doc who gave you the drug and see what s/he can do for you.

Cassy,

I WAS taking Wellbutrin before my surgery. Unfortunately, this medication can NOT be crushed because it is a TIME release medication. Since this medication is time released it is not available in liquid. You should talk with your prescribing Dr. to see if you can take some other type of medication for a while. My Dr. gave prescribed Prozac until I am able to take pills or tablets again. The Prozac can be opened an taken. They are not to bad to get down. I would take the Prozac with Water and then take my chewable Vitamins to “kill” the taste of the meds.

As restless said if the med is not to large you can take smaller dosage. However, the pills are not small enough to take post op.

Good luck in your journey and hope this will help you. :)

Well, this depends on your tolerances and doc's orders but I have to take bitter nasty prozac. I take about a teaspoon of my liquid tylenol (but if you are on anything liquid the doc prescribed I am certain that would work too) and stir it into that. The medicine is thick enough that it actually gets suspended in the "syrup" and the liquid medicine has enough artificial flavor in it that I can not taste the prozac.

I take welbutrin and talked to my doctor before the surgery about how to handle this since it is a timed release medicine. She had not hesitation it having me take the pill whole. She also is okay with the pill form of vicadin and not the liquid. I know so many others are concerned with swallowing a whole pill but my doc says it is okay; I'm 3 days post op and have had no trouble with it. Check with you doctor again ... to see if you can just take the pill.

I am taking Wellbutrin, Crestor, & Benicar, one at a time with no problems. Both my PCF & WLS Physician ok'd this.

Cassy,

I WAS taking Wellbutrin before my surgery. Unfortunately, this medication can NOT be crushed because it is a TIME release medication.

Actually not all Wellbutrin is "time released"....that 3 times a day dose she's on isn't. The "SR" type you take once a day is....

but she still should check 1st with her prescribing doc to see if she can change to a different med, etc.

They make liquid non-extended release wellbutrin, it hasn't been out terribley long. I decided at surgery to just go off completely and have been fine the last 5 months. Good luck!

I use to take the extended release wellburtin but now I take the regular pill 3 times a day. I am able to swallow the pill whole and no issues at all. If you can't do that than cut it up into quarters. I have no problems with it whole so good luck!

Hi Cassy,

I have been taking Wellbutrin XL 300 mg way before my surgery and after. I have had no problems with it, and my doctor said it's fine. I only take it once in the morning and I'm good to go.

They are small enough to get down with some Water. I did notice after my surgery I was so nervous that it would get stuck, but trust me it didn't.

Good luck! :laugh:

Interesting...

My doc told me to never take another pill again. I guess maybe he is just trying to prevent issues. I've been cutting it up the last several days but it is tedious. I am going to look into that liquid Wellbutrin. Thanks everyone!

It never ceases to amaze me how different each doctor is about EVERYTHING LOL MY pain meds post op were pills! My surgeon told me I should be able to take any pill. Of course it's best to do what YOUR doc tells you, but I have to wonder. In this day and age, medicine is so advanced, I can't fathom never taking a pill. Good luck; you need your antidepressant so I hope you find a solution!

my wellbutrin is time released and i take it twice a day...surgery this thursday the 16th...when i called my pharmacy about interchanging my pills, that are all time released, with something crushable, he said none of mine were crushable...

my primary doc said he called the pharmacy and they said i could crush them all...

my surgeon says we can't take any pills for at least 2 months...

but as for the taste...i have so many pills to crush, that i was wondering about mixing it in something like v8 juice that has a strong flavor...and space my shots of juice and meds out like 15 min apart...or even buttermilk, cause it is thick and strong flavor...i know most people hate buttermilk...but i would love to hear successful attempts before i try at mine thursday...