Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 1 1/2 years out from banding, and haven't lose any weight in the last year (not the band's fault)! As ashamed as I am to say this - I don't want to give up, as having WLS is a drastic measure. I don't have a problem with Portion Control - my band controls that; however, I have a REAL problem with unhealthy choices and lack of Protein. Because of this, I am wondering if any bandster has tried the new alli since surgery? I don't know if it's okay to take with the band. I do have an appointment for a fill next Friday - I'll ask my nurse (because I haven't seen my doctor since he discharged me the day after surgery) about alli. Just curious to see if anyone out there has tried it, or knows if we can. I figure maybe if I shit my pants once or twice, it'll make me stop eating junk!!! lol

I'm still laughing! Your post was just too funny! I'm almost two months out and I'm losing slowly but the inches are dropping but I will keep this in mind for the future! Good Luck!

I am 1 1/2 years out from banding, and haven't lose any weight in the last year (not the band's fault)! As ashamed as I am to say this - I don't want to give up, as having WLS is a drastic measure. I don't have a problem with Portion Control - my band controls that; however, I have a REAL problem with unhealthy choices and lack of Protein. Because of this, I am wondering if any bandster has tried the new alli since surgery? I don't know if it's okay to take with the band. I do have an appointment for a fill next Friday - I'll ask my nurse (because I haven't seen my doctor since he discharged me the day after surgery) about alli. Just curious to see if anyone out there has tried it, or knows if we can. I figure maybe if I shit my pants once or twice, it'll make me stop eating junk!!! lol

Hi,

I have not had wls I am really just in the 'fact finding stage' but I don't think your post was funny at all!:wink2: In fact it is a real concern I have for myself as I figure out what I should do. All I can offer is a sincere suggestion to seek therapy to work through your issues with why you use food in that way and why you are engaging in self sabotaging behavior. I found a really good therapist last year and it was very helpful doing one on one as well as group therapy about goal setting.

I am just realizing that it is very, very hard to lose weight the old fashion way and the statistics on keeping it off are very, very slim. I did lose 45 pounds but the body/mind connection is a serious thing and I had to realize even if I lose 100 pounds I would still be considered “overweight” I am only 5’2’’.

Anyway all of that is to say don’t look for another ‘magic bullet’ if you are paying DEMAND a consult with your doctor that is their job but people will get away with giving you sub par treatment if you let them. Find a therapist it can be a counselor you don't need to pay for a psychiatrist or psychologist, heck you could get a life coach! I hope that is helpful to you!

Could it be that the band was not the correct WLS for you? Whether you want to blame yourself or the band it's possible that it just doesn't work for everyone. I am one of those and I had mine taken out last Friday. If you find losing weight as difficult after banding as you did before banding what does that tell you? I did try Alli myself when I was going through that phase of why the band was not working and Alli did nothing for me except make me more regular as I was more constipated while banded. We all had the same expectations after being banded and not all of us got what we asked for. It's not all your fault and there are plenty of people like us out there who have had the same problems with the band and a lot of moved on to revisions after removal I just choose not to. Good luck and discuss all your options with your surgeon, Nancy.:wink2:

Hello there, I took alli for about three and a half months before I decided to look into lapbanding. I stopped taking it after my first consult as the surgeon requested me too. I have to tell you though that I did not lose any weight on alli and for the most part I stuck to the plan religiously. That being said a friend of mine her husband took it and had wonderful success with it.

So who knows but I would definitely ask the drs or your nurse before taking it.

I am now taking phentermine, to curb my cravings, with the band. Sure the band controls food portions, but I am a junk food junkie and was always craving sweets. It has really helped with my sweets addiction bcause I just dont want it now. Im not saying its for everybody, but even with the lap band I still was finding it hard

I have some Alli left that I was wondering about too. If you get a answer from a medical source, like your doctor, Id like to know too if it would hurt the band.

Im losing ok, just curious myself.

I hated Alli it didnt work for me...why dont u talk to ur doctor about getting another fill or join Weight Watchers had have points control..i wouldnt try anything without talkin to ur doc...good luck

I want to first thank everyone who took the time to respond to my post. For those of you who thought it was concerning or offending - I am sorry. But, when you are at the point that I'm at - if you don't use humor to get through each day - you'll go out of your mind. That's my way of dealing with touchy issues. I will ask my nurse about it next Friday when I go for a fill and I will post the response I get. I am very upset that I have never seen my doctor, or been offered the chance to meet with him since surgery. I thought this was the way every clinic worked???? After reading all the posts, it made me feel much better to know that I am not alone. I took phentermine - long before WLS - had good look, but very temporary results, and I had a monster headache ALL THE TIME. I am disappointed in myself that I'm even looking for yet another way to lose weight - as I've already taken such a drastic measure. I just need to figure out a way to make the tool I have, work to its maximum potential. thanks for taking the time!

Hi,

I have not had wls I am really just in the 'fact finding stage' but I don't think your post was funny at all!:smile2: In fact it is a real concern I have for myself as I figure out what I should do. All I can offer is a sincere suggestion to seek therapy to work through your issues with why you use food in that way and why you are engaging in self sabotaging behavior. I found a really good therapist last year and it was very helpful doing one on one as well as group therapy about goal setting.

I am just realizing that it is very, very hard to lose weight the old fashion way and the statistics on keeping it off are very, very slim. I did lose 45 pounds but the body/mind connection is a serious thing and I had to realize even if I lose 100 pounds I would still be considered “overweight” I am only 5’2’’.

Anyway all of that is to say don’t look for another ‘magic bullet’ if you are paying DEMAND a consult with your doctor that is their job but people will get away with giving you sub par treatment if you let them. Find a therapist it can be a counselor you don't need to pay for a psychiatrist or psychologist, heck you could get a life coach! I hope that is helpful to you!

How can you point your finger when you are in the "fact finding stage" you have not walked in the same shoes... With that said, I have tried alli and did experience the oily farts or whatever and did not lose enough weight to make me want to continue.

Well, I had a rotten day and this post made me laugh! Thanks!! Anyone who's had any experience(s) with Alli knows what happens...especially the first time after taking one of those bad boys and you think you're just going to pass a little gas. Yikes! :tt2:

Anyway, what I want to know is: how would you take an Alli capsule? Wouldn't it get stuck in the band? Just curious...I'm finding pill-taking to be frustrating because of all the crushing. :)

Thanks!

Id heard to get chewable Vitamins and all that, but I can eat anything. My surgeon after he put in the lap band gave me the biggest anitbiotics you ever saw and I admit I was surprised, but they went down.

Even after 2 fills I can swallow any kind of pills, guess Im not very tight. I sure could swallow a little Alli pill.

Im curious still, if anyone talks to their doctor what they say. Im wondering if they might cause gas that could stretch the pouch.

I had my surgery 2 years ago and I have had my ups and downs. The only thing that seems to help me with making healthier choices is exercise. I look at the treadmill and see how hard I worked and noticed how long it takes to burn off one candy bar or bag of M&M's(my personal favorite) and decide whether it is worth it or not. I still treat myself once a week (if I have excersised regularly) to whatever treat or treats I want once a week. I know some would say that using food as a reward is what got me in this mess to begin with, but it gets me on my tredmill everyday. As for alli, it won't hurt your band. I think maybe you need to regroup and try eating right for a week and you may noticed the cravings subsiding some. I noticed that diet soda makes me crave sweets more. Well, good luck I hope everything works out for you.

I am curious to hear what your doc says, too. I did Alli before and had modest results and very little in the way of side effects. I'm thinking I might like to combine it with the band to maximize my loss. Let us know what he says.

I tried the Alli 3 times last week, with no effect. Nadda. Im thinking its because I have cut out so much of the fat in my diet, there isnt enough fat left for the Alli to work on.