Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mother needs help

Hi anyone,

My daughter (17) just had surgery June 15th and she seems to be doing well physically (emotionally, I'm not sure, I can't tell if it's teenage attitude or struggling with cravings). If there is anyone out there that could lend some words of encouragement, words of wisdom or any words at all, that would be great. I go to this site daily and read people's post to try to understand how everyone is dealing with their band, but it's difficult. Also, if anyone knows of another teenager that has had the band or is considering it, that would be great to know, maybe I could connect the two of them.

Thanks

Hello Daughter (17)! Welcome to the Banded Gentry. What a truely brave and heroic thing you have done for yourself. This probably doesn't mean much, but I am very proud of you to taking this scary step.

There are many people here, and elsewhere for that matter, who whish desperately that they could have done what you have just done--get their band when they were young.

You are two weeks into the band, and have probably started on soft and/or mushy foods. Life does get better, and soon you will be able to have real food again. It is even possible that you will be able to eat everything you had before the band, Just not the same quantiites. I know at least a couple of bandsters who can still eat cheeseburgers and pizza. (Me for one.) I just can't eat an entire pizza, but a serving of pizza is supposed to be "uh slice" not "uh pizza"

You are probably going to feel somewhat isolated, being the only teen you know who has a band. Don't worry, there are lots of people who are the only bandster in their area. For a while, I was the only person in a large chunk of an entire state with the band. (Now there are about 3 of us.)

Good luck Daughter (17). You are most welcome here.

(and yes, I am a smart ass)

Hey daughter of Knelson:

When I was banded almost 7 months ago, I went through the OMG, what have I done stage, as probably most of us have, but just remember, you're still healing and soon you will be able to eat most of the same foods, just not as much. Once the weight starts dropping, you won't want as much of the junk stuff. You're so fortunate to have the opportunity to take control of your life at such a young age, I'm 55 and so wish this surgery had been available to me at you age. You have your entire adult life ahead of you, to enjoy as a thinner, healthier, happier person.

I too am proud of you, good luck on your new journey.

Just think no more diets, just healthier choices...YOU GO GIRL!

Thank you so much for your replys. I will print these off for her and pass them on. If I can figure out how to work this, I would like to put her information and a tracker so others can see her progress. I am very excited for her and it was a scary decision for me to make to let her have this. I do want her to have a very exciting senior year in high school and I want her to be happy with herself. She's working hard so far but nervous because she can tell she can eat a little more food. I tell her it's okay, she must eat to keep her metabolism working properly.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=760 bgColor=#ffffff border=0 valign="top"><TBODY><TR><TD width=10></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=15>I remembered seeing this testimonial when I was researching the band - It is on the website www.obesitycontrolcenter.com which is the office of De. Ariel Ortiz. I have attached Cassie's story about her experience as a teenager with the band. She also offers to support any teen through email that might need her support. you might want to contact Dr. Ortiz's office to see if she is still willing to do that.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodytextbluelg>

Teenage Lap Band Patient, Cassie

</TD></TR><TR><TD height=15></TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodytextgrey vAlign=top>patientsba_cassie_lg.jpg My name is Cassie and I had my surgery March 17, 2004. I was only 13 years old. At surgery I weigd 218 pounds and now I am 155 at 5''7". First I want to say, " I AM SO HAPPY”. My life seemed to be on hold because of my weight. I did all kinds of sports and the weight still kept coming. I tried dieting and went to the nutritionist and it still didn't help. I was gaining weight very fast every month. I became more and more depressed with every unsuccessful diet. My mom did some research and found Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez at the Obesity Control Center. She explained everything to me and let the final decision be up to me. I was scared but at the same time ready and wanted my life to change. To be like the other kids and enjoy sports once again and the cute clothes. I had my surgery and the very same day I was up out of bed walking. The next day I left for home. I am back into sports and many school activities and not to mention my grades are great and I have lots of fun friends. If any teen would like to talk about the surgery or just need support I would be happy to chat with you by email. Thanks for my life back, Cassie

I don't know if this will help, but I know as a teenager, she will probably need all of the support options she can get.

Kudos to her!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

When I first got banded- especially after the "newness" wore off, I was PISSED OFF!!! I was so angry that I needed the band, that I was different than everyone else, that I couldn't eat whatever I wanted, that I couldn't even eat real food for weeks. I spent quite awhile angry, and then I got sad and everything would make me cry. What I discovered is that food was my emotional even-outer, and without it, I was a disaster.

I have no idea what is going on in your daughters head, but I applaud that you are here trying to learn about this. She may not appreciate your suggestions and everything you have learned, I"m sorry to say. But that doesn't mean she doesn't need you to help her out. If I would give you any advice, it would be to just give her some time to get used to her new life. Be there for her, continue to learn for you, and she'll get curious and start reaching out herself.

Megan

There is a member here, her teenage daughter just had the surgery 5 weeks ago. Her name is KarenB I know if you send her a PM she will glady reply and get the two to connect.

Hello There...I am actually 32 as far as my birth certificate is concerned...but like 17-18 in my reality! ;-) I work with teens...I work in a high school. I would gladly help your daughter out if she needs to talk, just like anyone else here would be helpful too! I soooo wish I had her courage and opportunity when I was younger to have this done! The school clothes shoppin horrors! All that could have been eliminated. I use to get sooo upset, I would leave the stores crying! Then there were the times I wanted to join a sports team but I couldn't because I was too heavy to run the tract...Then there were the dances, the boyfriends, the social outtings, not being invited anywhere...being teased...I been there ~ done that! Senior year means senior ball! Think of the gorgious gown she can get! Granted styles are changing, when I was a senior the pickins for a plus size girl were pretty few and far between....however, she could just go into Debs or a "regular" store and get one off the rack! I have been banded since 05/05/05....and I have dropped 35-40 pounds. I was on my way to the hospital and the voices in my head were screaming at my husband TAKE ME HOME...Thank God he didn't hear them! I am soo happy to have this band its not funny. I know its hard girl.....I KNOW ITS HARD....you will get use to this new life....and you will turn things around. Feel free to email me if you wanna talk...

Good luck to you!!

I was 22 when I was banded, 23 now. I know that for me, despite everything that I read that said that the first 6 weeks was for healing, that real weight loss doesn't start until after you get restriction, and that the average weight loss is 1 to 2 lbs per week, in the first month or so of banding I was really irritated at the rate of my weight loss. Silly my, I lost 25 lbs in the first month! I've since lost another 25 lbs, and my average is just about a lb per week. I've hit some long frustrating plateaus, and I've come to grips wiht the idea that no matter what I want to tell myself, I HAVE to exersize. :D

I think that some of the depression is from the anesthesia more than anything. Hormones don't help either, lol.

I think it's really great that you as her mother are supporting her so well and learning everything that you can for her. :D

Congrats on the life change you have made. It is a scary thing you have done and you are so very brave for doing it. The first few weeks are by far the hardest. I have been banded just over 6 weeks and I am glad I did it. I will be honest ad say that in the very beginning that I was like "what the hell have I done?" and I even thought about calling my doctor and asking if I cold go back and get it out. Boy am I glad I didn't do that. It really does turn around. It just seems like forever. but think how much life you have left and all the things (and the awesome clothes) that you have to look forward to. I got my first fill on Tuesday and now I am really on my way. Feel free to email me anytime and I will gladly be a support person to you. Here's a big hug just for you. ((( )))

BTW, my ticker is all wrong. My doc confirmed that my weight of 291 was correct the day of surgery and not the 274 I was at the consult visit. And now I am down to 249 in 6 weeks!!! I always like to hear how much people are losing since that inspires me. My mother in law pointed out something to me when I had lost 20lbs. If you ever think that 20 pounds isn't alot when you get there just think of carrying a thanksgiving turkey around. KInda of a gross visual but it helps. :D