Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help is my band too tight?

Hi there

I'm a bit concerned as since having my 2nd fill (a week ago) I am getting some discomfort when I eat and saliva in my mouth. I did ask the guy for more restriction as after my first fill I felt very little so he told me he took 6cc out and put 8 in. Possibly this is my band working properly for me for the first time and it has come as a bit of a shock. I was on fluids for three days and then on to sloppy food but am not able to eat comfortably what I had after 1st fill (I just tried half a tuna sandwich and could only manage about two thirds of it) Is this normal and if it is will it gradually ease off, or could the band be too tight, I'm reluctant to complain as this is the first time I have felt real restriction.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Gaynor

Try eating without the bread, bread is a no-no for most bansters. Try eating solid foods/veggies. Usually the first week after a fill I am a little swollen, so that might be your problem too. As long as you can drink Water and eat some mushy things, I would wait a few days and see what happens, but if you can't do that then I would check with your doctor.

Gaynor, I think you're just in the learning curve of discovering real restriction. It's about this time that we learn how to avoid bread, which just takes up WAY too much room to be a good bet. Try eating the tuna by itself and I'll bet you'll be able to eat the entire half-sandwich if not the whole thing.

And in case you're wondering, yes, the insides of a half a sandwich is a good bandster amount for a meal. It's pretty much what I ate for lunch daily for all of 2004. If you can or want to eat more, go ahead, but that sounds about right to me.

Yep, restriction!! wahoo!! I agree, quit the bread. As long as you aren't PBing or getting stuck all the time, you have no reflux or heartburn, you stay full for hours, keep testing out different foods and amounts. It's working!!!

hi just had my first fill today after 5 months of being banded my doc told me liquids for today and solids tomorrow i thought i could handle some clam chowder if i chewed the potatoes really well i eat adout a quareter and then there it was a stuck feeling in my chest this is scaring me i hope he did not make it to tight if i can.t even handle a little clam chowder i am going to stick with Protein shakes until tommorrow and try again

julie

Guest vball4tf_2000

I'm going in for my first fill next week. Since a week after I was banded on the 30th of May 2005 I have been progressively able to eat more and more. I have absolutely no restriction whatsoever. I do stop eating when I feel full but that is usally when my plate is empty. I also have no trouble eating bread, either. I know I should use limit myself but if I could do that in the first place I would never have had to be banded.

Has anyone else had this happen to them, is this normal? Do I need to ask the doctor to put a certain amount of saline in my band? Does it hurt? After my fill am I allowed to eat right away? Can I eat right before? I've heard people say both, which is it?

I'm really frustrated right now as I've paid all this money out of my own pocket because this was a preventative surgery for me (obesity runs in my family and I have the potential but didn't meet the criteria, yet). I want to believe this is going to work and I've seen it on numerous people but I'm just upset right now since it's been 5 weeks today and I've lost nothing. Help?