Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freaking out - help please

This happend way to fast....I found out that I was approved on Oct. 1 and called the surgeon's office and they told me that they would call me back in a week to ten days for a surgery date and that there was a "waiting list" and that it would be at least the first week of December! They call today and said to come in tomorrow for educational class and that surgery is Oct 29!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY COW>>>>>>>>>>>> that is only two weeks away so I have a few questions if you all could take the time to answer them.

First of all...GUYS STOP READING HERE.......I may be having my menstrual on the day of surgery.....anyone else have it anyway? The reason why I ask "blush" is because I know that Vet's don't like to operate on dogs in heat because their organs are swollen during that time...at least that is what my vet told me...are we the same way...OMG...I FEEL SOOOOOO CRAZY ASKING THIS......AND COMPARING US TO DOGS IN HEAT......FORGIVE ME.

Ok guys you can start reading here again....Secondly I have failed at quiting smoking entirely.....If I smoke my last cig tonight...and start with nicotine Patches and tell my doctor...do you think I will be ok?

Thirdly, I know I will learn what to eat after surgery during the class tomorrow, but is there any tricks to NOT STARVING during the clear liquid diet? Anything that you have sipped on that helped?

I have a two-day preop diet of Clear liquids...I know this is easy compared to some people and I feel lucky....HOWEVER, I have gained a few pounds since seeing the surgeon nearly six months ago...and I wonder if this will be enough liver shrinking? I wouldn't think so...I am thinking of trying to diet here and there and lose a few pounds before surgery - but at the same time I am typing this...I am thinking of running to Chinese buffet for a last meal...LORD HELP ME!

This is all happening too fast...maybe the Good Lord knows I would probably chicken out (mmm sweet and sour chicken LOL) if I had to wait to long. For those of you on liquids and hungry please forgive me for mentioning food! I have a lot to do to get ready in such a little amount of time...I wanted to purchase shake stuff, blender, nice recliner (which won't be happening now cuz of funds), Gas-X, Vitamins that they recomended...etc. I know there have been posts about what you need right after surgery...but if anyone could just throw in a "must have" real quick I would appreciate it. Please don't get me wrong...I feel really blessed that the ball is rolling and I have a date....I just wanted to be better prepared. Two weeks sounds like a lot of time...but I have a PACKED schedule this week already!

Thanks for listening...You guys are lifesavers...oh...there was another food gesture.:wub:

first you have to calm down. Just remember you can eat chinese food after surgery. Just not as much. I went to the buffet tonight and I have been eating chineese after 2 weeks out. You are just going to make a full plate or you might you just won't be able to eat that much. What I would do is start having more salads and clear Soups to shrink your liver till you find out what you should eat. I wan't the best on the liquid but it was fine. I had egg drop Soup, salads tuna egg salad anything lite and not fried. Thats what my dr. said. You will be fine. It's not your last meal. Everytthing you ate before you can stll eat. I had mine done 8/24 and down 25 I haven't updated my ticker. Good luck-Elisa

wow!! Congrats!! My doc told me to stop smokin 6 weeks prior to surgery but ive read a lot of posts on here and some people had 2 weeks others were the day before surgery(im sure ull be fine)...i had my "friend" aunt flow before surgery so that question i couldnt answer u should ask a female nurse tomorrow when u go or call....my liquid diet was 10 days before surgery if u have to do 2 days ur real lucky..it consisted of slim fast, Jello, broth (chicken, veggie, beef) for 2 days ull be fine trust me...as for liver shrinkin i have no idea they told me i had to weigh what i did at my consult which meant i had to lose 4 lbs no big deal...Everyone has a last meal trust me it wont effect u..ur NUT should give u a list of foods (liquids) ull need post op if u have any questions there are forums on here for those stages..Good luck keep us in touch!!

I did not need or use a recliner. I had some pain after surgery, which I expected but was able to sleep in my own bed and sit in a regular chair.

The Gas x strips did not help me at all. It is not gas in your colon, the gas is in your belly ( they "inflate" the belly with gas so they have more room to work inside you. Some people are bothered more than others by it. It bothered me ( mostly in my left arm/shoulder) for about four days.

I have a blender but did not use it.

I picked up chewable Vitamins and Atkins shakes and Isopure Clear drink for the first couple weeks and lived on that. I skipped the pureed week and stayed on the shakes for that week instead. There was no way I was blending and "drinking" chicken anyway.

If you are motivated enough to REALLY want this and lose the weight you will follow the pre-op diet. It is important to shrink your liver so it does not get in the way and possibly get injured or worse your surgery gets halted in the middle because your liver is too large.

You will be "inconvienced" by the whole post op diet for about a month. Big deal, one month, you can do it. Just get your mind set that it is important for your health, your surgery, your success to do the two days of liquids ( because it is) and you can do it. A cup of chicken broth was a nice change at night for me after cold, Clear Liquids all day.

My last piece of advice is to eat sensibly until you get to the two days of liquids. You do not need a "last supper", you WILL eat many normal foods again, just not for a little while. So step away from the Chinese buffet. Too much salt anyway.

Good Luck!

Hey gal. I just posted on another of your posts and also sent you a message. BUt here is the liver shrink diet my doctor and nutritionist gave me to follow 2 weeks prior to surgery:

Liver Shrink Diet

Remember: Vegetables ar unlimited on this diet. (except potatoes, corn, Beans, and peas.

Breakfast

Protein shake or Protein Bar

(You may use any shake as long as it has 220 or less calories and 10g or less fat/serving)

Mid Morning Snack

1 small piece of fruit (if you have Diabetes add 4 oz low-fat yogurt)

lunch

Protein Bar (220 calories of less and 10g or less of fat) or Shake

Mid Afternoon Snack

1 small piece of fruit (add 4 oz low-fat yogurt if you have Diabetes)

dinner

3 oz meat (lean) - The size of a deck of cards

steamed vegetables or salad with Fat-free Salad Dressing

6 unsalted crackers or 2 slices low calorie bread or 1 small baked potato

1/2 c fruit or 1 small piece of fruit

Evening Snack

1 small piece of fruit (add 4 oz low-fat yogurt if you are Diabetic)

(You may have non-caloric beverages on this diet) NO ALCOHOL!!!!!!!!

Examples: Decaf. Tea, Crystal Light, sugar-free Kool-Aid, Water

Follow This 1 Day Prior To Surgery:

Clear Liquids only including Jello, broth, juice, and any beverages listed above. Jello can be congealed, but do not put fruit in it it. (NO RED JELLO)

& NOTHING TO EAT PAST MIDNIGHT (of course).

This is just what my surgeon and nutritionist gave me. Of course everyone's seems different but I just thought I would give you something to go on.

October 29th will be here before we know it!! We will both rock this band. :tt1:

WV GAl,

I am waiting, too but Do go to GNC, Walmart, or the local Health food store ASK them for Protein supplements, Either in powder or mixed. Try some. Drink these;they're like slimfast, only more protein. Aim for 70 grams a day total of protein , inlcluding whatever food you eat . it cuts down on cravings and helps lose weight.

As a former smoker, and watching peers go through other surgeries while smoking, even when told to stop- save yourself the discomfort- tell the doctor. I don't think you can inhale once you have the band, it may force air into your stomach.

I know how you feel! My surgery date is 10/14. I'm really anxious about the surgery itself. I've had two unrelated surgerys before... last one over 15 years ago. I'm older now I guess and it just freaks me out. Also, I started my 2 week pre diet last Tuesday. Slimfast for Breakfast and lunch; ww or lien cuisine for dinner. Otherwise, 1 cup fruit per day. Unlimited Jello, sf popcycles, coffee, tea, clear broth and crystal light. 2 c max diet soda, skim milk or sherbert. --- I snuck in some cheese on a couple different days... Do any of you think this will really hurt anything? I know it's to shrink the liver but I have done near as much food damage as I used to. :tt1:

Dear wvgal,

I have heard that Protein bullets are good to use while you are on clear liquids. You can buy them in 20 or 42 gm vials. The taste isn't very good, but you can mix them with your Water or make sugar free Jello with them/ I've also heard of mixing them with Crystal Light.

Everyone I've read about does better if they start drinking bullets as soon as possible.

They are available in several flavors at GNC, and maybe other stores that cater to bodybuilders. Unfortunately, they run about $3 each. But we don't need too many the first few weeks. One a day would help a lot.

Good luck on your surgery. I am just starting my trip and my doctor demands a 6 months supervised diet. But I will get there.

Mindwing.:tt1:

I can totally relate...my consult with the bariatric doctor was on 9/16 and my surgery is already scheduled for this monday, 10/13. My insurance doesn't cover any of the surgery so I think that may have expedited the surgery date.

The first thing I did was purchase the pre and post op Bariatric Advantage lapband Protein and Vitamin supplements as well as some of the profect protein "shots". They are really weird looking and the fruit punch one I have tried tastes like really bad cough medicine :tt1:.

If you feel that it's too rushed, then talk to the surgery team about pushing it back a few weeks if you have to....remember that this is YOUR journey and don't feel forced into a date just because they can schedule you.

There's a lot to do before the surgery (getting clearance from your primary care doctor, lots of blood work, your psych clearance, ekg, etc.) and it can be really hard to manage it all if you are working. I don't know about others, but you may want to consider taking a few 1/2 days off of work before the surgery to get it all done.

Hang in there and I wish you the best:thumbup:

Edited by ctoyooka

Thanks soooo much for taking the time to reply. I am heading out to the educational class here in about 5 mins. They have me fasting so that I can go over to the hospital and have some more tests done....I will be starved by then. I am going to go get some nicotine Patches and try to quit smoking tomorrow. My doc only requires 2 day preop diet consisting of clear liquids...wonder why? I am worried that this will not be enough to shrink the liver....I am going to buy some slimfast and try what CMTurner posted...and I also agree with having some Protein shots during liquid diet as Mindwing posted (Good luck Mindwing!)

I will post more when I return. I am starving.

First, congratulations on getting your date confirmed. Secondly, RELAX..it's all gonna be alright. Take one thing at a time..

Protein: seriously consider ordering some chicken broth Protein from unjury.com (a box or two if you can afford it) to use pre and post surgery. Also, sugar free Jello or pudding in the small cups post surgery - helps w/ your throat and when you don't want anything else the first few days. I found a liquid Multi-Vitamin at my local health food store. I found anthing with high Protein kept me from getting hungry...protein shakes, egg white omelettes and yogurt the best.

Smoking, I quit several years ago but I did have to wean myself off caffeine pre-surgery. Otherwise, I would have been a wild woman in the hospital. In addition to praying alot; I did alot of self-talk to get myself ready - saying things to myself in the mirror like: "if you don't do it for yourself who will do it?", "You will be successful", You're worth it!!

Numero uno things to have at home: pain relievers, sleeping pills if your doctor will prescribe (otherwise, I couldn't sleep), gasX (store brand ok), and heating pad (for back or tummy). I hope this helps.