Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have my surgery on Oct 10th in Cancun MX and im TERRIFIED..!

I haven't slept in the 4 days between confirming my appointment and now! I have never had surgery before in my life and im so scared of the effects of the anesthetic and the pain, and if i'll be able to walk after! How long does the pain last, and i don't want scars on my belly! Are they really visible? Ive been reading that you get gas too..how embarrassing for the person who is with you. Does this happen immiediatly after surgery, or does it kick in after a while? How soon do you have to see a fill Dr. after? Do you lose weight slower if you start off with a lower BMI (33.7)?

What is the most uncomfortable part of the surgery?? I think my anxiety is obvious. Any help or reassurance that anyone can give me will help!!

THanks

:)

Make sure you have an aftercare surgeon lined up, or do you plan to go back to Cancun? That's something you need to address before you proceed.

I had my surgery a week ago tommorow 9/30. I didnt have alot of pain until I had to move a bit, then I was uncomfortable. on a scale 1-10 mine was 3-4. I have had cramps worse than this. Like you this was my first surgery. Anethesia effects everyone different. Me, I only felt tired immediately after the surgery for about 6 hrs. My surgery was at 10am I got up and walked by 1:30-2pm. I had to go to the bathroom. If you have ever had sore muscles from something that you way overday the previous day from activity that is what it feels like to me. I am almost 7days out and I just was able to sleep on my side. At an angle. I do have some discomfort on my belly where the port is which is normal. It is really nothing feels like now like a bruise that is uncomfortable is you hit. As far as the gas. I experience like burping, not flatuence if that is what you are wondering. If you are able to burp on your own that will be an very effective thing. Meaning you can do it now just by saying Im going to burp and can do it . Some people can do it with beverages.. this helped me alot and I have "knock on wood" had not had any shoulder pain/chest pain. I did take the heed and purchase gasx strips which disolve on your tongue. My dr. didnt tell me about this I learned that on the forum and that was the best advice ever they come 18 in a box for about 6.00. The worst thing of all was the bad taste I constantly had in my mouth. That may have been anethesia. I hope that answers your questions. I know the anxiety feeling. Try to occupy yourself. breathe deep, let your dr. know you are having some anxiety. I think it is normal. Good luck keep us posted.

Maranda

I was banded on Oct 1st and too it was my first surgery it's very normal to be scared I was too and for the pain it kinda feels like you are kicked in the tummy! And for the gas I have alot but just move around and it should go away it all settled in my shoulder and that was really painful just move around and rest plenty you'll be just fine!!!!!!! Hope this helps and as far as losing I have weighed daily and have only lost a couple pds but I'm still swollen and you shouldn't weigh daily I've learned.

Hi!

Well my situation seems a lot like yours. I'm having my surgery on the 22nd, in Tijuana. My BMI is 34.8, and I'm also 24 years old. I've had a single surgery before, which was a c-section.. it was a pretty painful recovery for the 1st 2 weeks, but it's a bigger cut than a laparoscopic procedure. With my C-section, I really didn't have any gas issues.. what got me was that I was constipated (embarrasing I know.. but wanted to give you a head's up). Being a nurse and having the baby where I worked, I was able to get the Dr. to let me go home without going potty first.... baaad idea, almost ended up back in the hospital!! So if that happens to you what worked for me was Colace, an over the counter stool softener. I No gas pains though.. getting up from bed was pretty bad, but again, it's a way bigger cut.

Make sure your pain needs are addressed, make sure you get up and walk as soon as you can.. it will help you with the gas and will prevent you from throwing a clot (THAT is my biggest fear)..

So.. surgery in Mexico appears to be quite common, which is good to know.. makes me a little more comfortable anyways :crying:

Also.. make sure you have your pain needs addressed prior to leaving, I'm not sure what the rules and regulations are regarding bringing medications from another country. In the ER where I work we can't accept any prescriptions from any neighboring state.... wether it's an antibiotic or a narcotic..

So good luck on your journey!

It is totally normal to be nervous and nothing to be ashamed about. You are going into the unknown and that's not nice. But, let me try to reassure you, everything will be fine and you won't even remember the surgery in the future.

You will experience discomfort and pain. That said, it doesn't last long and is easily managed. Everyone's experience is different. For myself, I had discomfort for a few days. No wind/gas problems.

You are about to start a wonderful journey, full of excitement and achievements. Try to stay positive and focussed on the future life you are giving yourself. Keep a diary/photos/spreadsheet of your weightloss. Give yourself the time to lose the weight. I gave myself a year. Most of all, enjoy it!