Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie - Surgery scheduled 10/13/08

Hi! I am scheduled for surgery on 10/13/08. I am on the "fast track" plan so I only have to do the 2 week pre-op diet. I am from San Antonio, Texas - any other San Antonians out there????

sure! I was banded 8/29 by Dr. Sonny Cavazos at NE Baptist...and go for my first fill 10/9! I am too excited! Who's doing your surgery, and where?

Hi, I am also going to be banded in San Antonio on Oct 13th. I am with Dr. Cavozos also. Let us know who you are going to be banded with.

OMG! He is my doctor, also! I am sooo excited to be messaging with someone who had Dr. Cavazos as their surgeon. Did you do the two week pre-op and how well were you able to stick to it?

LOL I'm meeting up with EMilie on 10/9 (we hope anyway) since I'll be there at 9:45 for my 1st fill! :crying:

I was on a 3-week preop diet (as you can see I was VERY overweight...still am...and apparently I had a very fatty liver) I lost 15 pounds but did my own "modified" diet instead of doing what Dr. C told me and he couldn't place my band on 8/11 because my liver was STILL too fatty. So I did what he told me for 2 1/2 MORE weeks and VOILA! I lost 17 more pounds and he successfully banded me on 8/29!

I LOVE him and his staff; so do what he tells you and you'll sail through!

Maybe we'll get to meet you, too! :smile2:

I will be at NE Methodist on 10/9 starting at 7:30 - I have to do "pre-op" blood testing, etc and then at 1:15 I am scheduled to meet with Dr. C and then at 3:00 I have a class to go to. Is this normal? It would be great to hook up with you two....I am sure it would be ALOT easier to have people who are experiencing similar things. Have either of you been to any seminars besides the one that shows you about the different surgeries?

- Patti

Yes I had to go to the seminar before I could schedule an appt. And yes you are right about what all you have to do preop! The tests aren't bad; nothing really hurts etc. The blood draw was the worst and if you look away that's nothing! :crying:

Patti,

I will probably be right there with you on the 9th at 730, but won't find out until Monday. I will let you know. And Restless Monkey thanks for the info on my colon. That will probably be the worse part of the whole processes.(lol) I hate doing those things.

Yeah, it would be great to be able to meet you two....its a small world, I am sure we will hook up at some point! I am planning on following Dr. C's advice! Are either of you two going through the Weightwise clinic, or just through NE Baptist?

Edited by longhornmom

OK - I am starting to freak out. I got a call today from one of the ladies in Dr. C's office making sure I was going to be there for my pre-op testing tomorrow and she asked me how I was doing on the pre-op diet. I told her fine, that I was having three shakes, lots of Water and one meat with veggies for dinner. Apparently the Weightwise clinic that I go to has a different diet than Dr. C - his apparently is only 2 shakes and a small amount (palm size) of meat. I am FREAKING out. She asked me how many pounds I have lost and I told her 7 pounds (in 1 week). She said that most patience loose 15-20 in the two weeks. When they called me about my surgery date, it was only 12 days away so I will only have been on the diet for 12 days. She also said that I would probably be okay but that Dr. C wouldn't know for sure until he started the surgery. YIKES. That will be really BAD. i have already taken off work. ANY COMMENTS?????:eek:

WOW that is bad. I didn't go to "weighwise", I went directly to Dr. Cavazos and his facility at NE Baptist. I had no idea there was another clinic flowing people to his surgery....he needs to know so they can all get on the same page.

Having said that. I hope you'll be ok. I lost 15 pounds in 3 weeks doing my version of his diet but my liver was too fatty and I had to reschedule my surgery. I lost 17 MORE pounds in 2 1/2 weeks on his diet. It called for 2-3 EAS carb control AdvantEDGE shakes (only those or something with same formula) and 3 oz fish chicken or turkey and green veggies. No extra butter, ketchup, etc. What have you been eating?

I left out water...64 oz minimum a day. Sounds like you are good there!

Yeah, he sees patients at weightwise,also. I have been drinking three weightwise shakes (approx 100 cal/2 fat/5 carbs/15prot each) a day and a meat and veggie. I have also (on some days) either had a sf Jello pudding or one string cheese (2%). I think I should be okay but I am still a little concerned.

Tomorrow is the day and i am SCARED. Not of the surgery itself but of being able to change my entire lifestyle FOREVER. I have to drink my "cleaning out" liquid in a couple of hours so I am going to go get some running around done first! Emilie - they changed my "show up" time to 10AM and said that it is going to be a very busy day. Hope to see you. RestlessMonkey - thanks for all your posts.....and I hope you are doing well.