Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was just banded yesterday, and I am VERY scared to shower! Was anyone told to use a particular soap, or how to avoid harming wounds/incisions?

fab,

as long as they told you that you can shower now you should be fine. I was always told to use dial antibiotic soap. I did not remove my steristrips and waited until they came off themselves or for my first appointment with the surgeon post-op. I had my band removed yesterday so basically am going through the same thing as you but am not allowed to shower until tomorrow.

When I was banded I remember being nervous also and I just basically had the shower lightly go over my incisions until I got to the point where I wasn't sore enough and was brave enough to use the dial soap! Right now mine are very sore so I'll probably do the same thing, possibly just rub a bit of the soap on your hand and lightly go over them until you get to a point where you've healed more. But you should be fine, it's always scary the first time, good luck, Nancy:smile:

I had to wait 2 days after surgery to shower. But when I did I was SO scared to! I was told to NOT scrub them AT ALL. They also didnt say that I needed to have any kind of soap. So in the shower I just let the soapy Water run over them and thats about all I did for the first few showers. I'm still to nervous to scrub them (im about 4 weeks out).

-Nanook why did u have to have your band removed??

You should wait 2 days (48 hours) before you shower. Then just shower but as Yayforme said, don't scrub the surgical sites (but do wash near and around them) and you'll be fine. You'll be amazed at how wonderful a shower can make you feel (helps with lingering pain, plus it gives a psychological boost that things are back to normal now). But give it till day 2 post op just to be safe! :crying:

No need to use dial antibiotic soap, either unless you have it and always use it. Current research says that it may be best to limit your use of antibacterial soaps unless your doc specifies it (like in Nanook's case)....often bacterial removal is incomplete and it just helps develop super bacteria! So just use your regular soap and routine, avoiding scrubbing or vigorously rubbing your surgical sites. The steri strips will stay on just fine and will eventually fall off on their own (or be so loose you can pull them off easily!) in 7-10 days post op.

I was allowed to shower but no tub bath till my stitches came out in a week.I showered the morning after my surgery and my bandages came off too.Being in Mexico the doctor checked me the next morning again and replaced my band aids she said do not scrub the wounds and do not use scented soap or deodorant soap so I used ivory.

Edited by Bamagal

I had surgery on wed and could not shower until saturday! I use ivory soap and just wash them lightly. Tamara

I had to wait 2 days after surgery to shower. But when I did I was SO scared to! I was told to NOT scrub them AT ALL. They also didnt say that I needed to have any kind of soap. So in the shower I just let the soapy Water run over them and thats about all I did for the first few showers. I'm still to nervous to scrub them (im about 4 weeks out).

-Nanook why did u have to have your band removed??

I was banded over a year ago and it just wasn't right for me. I didn't have the self control needed to not eat the stuff that went right through the band. I was under the assumption that it would limit all solids but I was wrong! Plus I had some complications recently with my esophagus and acid reflux which should be taken care of now that it's gone. I was the same way about not wanting to touch my incisions when I was first banded but for some reason I have the exact incisions as banded but I'm not as nervous now, it's weird! Good luck to you, Nancy:smile:

No need to use dial antibiotic soap, either unless you have it and always use it. Current research says that it may be best to limit your use of antibacterial soaps unless your doc specifies it (like in Nanook's case)....often bacterial removal is incomplete and it just helps develop super bacteria! So just use your regular soap and routine, avoiding scrubbing or vigorously rubbing your surgical sites. The steri strips will stay on just fine and will eventually fall off on their own (or be so loose you can pull them off easily!) in 7-10 days post op.

That's good to know about the dial soap. I was banded about 13 months ago and they made me wash with dial antibacterial soap for three days prior to surgery, it was just routine for them. So maybe things have changed, thanks for adding that info, Nancy.:crying:

It depends on the type of closure they use on you to how long you must wait until you shower. Your discharge instructions should tell you if you have to wait or not. I had glue and steri strips and I was allowed to shower the next day. I didnt shower for 2 days though because I was too sick and weak to shower.. Just let the Water run down your belly and that will be fine, dont rub it. If you have some betadine around your incision that you want to get of, do it very carefully. Shower should not be a problem, just dont do it while you are home alone just in case you get light headed or something.

Thanks everyone!

Today will be my 48 hours just about, so i'm going for it.....

Enjoy that shower, and good luck with your journey.:tongue2: I have glue holding my incisions closed. It looks really weird, but it allowed me to shower the day after surgery.