Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I ever be able to lay down in my bed again?

I had surgery on Monday 09/29 and I have not been able to lay down yet.

I am sleeping in a chair and I am tired of sitting.

When I try to lay down I have this awful burning in the port area.:smile:

It sometimes takes my breath away when it happens.

This also happens upon slight bending or twisting.

I think I ripped the port out of place tonight!:angry:

Is this possible?

Is this burning feeling normal?

Did anyone else have this happen?

Any ideas?

Help?

Congratulations on your surgery! If it makes you feel better, I was SO sore (and groggy from all the medicine) the entire first week after the surgery I was wondering if I would ever feel normal again. Trust me. YOU WILL! I was told the surgery would make me feel like I had "done several sit-ups the day before and was sore." Ha ha! I can laugh at it now, but I felt it was a little bit more like a Mack truck had rolled over my stomach. LOL! (ok maybe I'm embellishing a little, but I do remember being very sore and having really bad gas pains.) As far as fearing that you may have ripped your port, I would suggest checking in with your Doctor just to ease your mind, but there have definitely been times when I have felt a burning in the port area. (esp. after I was healed enough to do a little bit of an ab workout...the next day the port area really had that sore/burning feeling, but I've been filled since then with no problems.) Anyway...I was SO anxious about absolutely everything right after my surgery, and everything has turned out so wonderfully! I'm sure you are going to have so much success with your band and feel SO much better even within the next few days! God bless and hang in there!

Yes, you will be able to lay down. I had a lot of pain and burning and once I thought my port had moved(it hadn't) I was able to be more comfortable after about a week, but even after 2 weeks I still had some burning at times. I'm now 3 weeks postop and it is so much better. If it continues to bother you after a few more days, call your surgeon's office. I'm so glad I've had my band done. I've already lost 28 pounds (combo pre surgical diet and what I have lost post op) and feel so much better already. So will you!

I was banded 9/26...sleeping was hard the first few nights...after 2 nights in the chair I propped a bunch of pillows in the bed and tried that...it was better.....still on my back. Then after 2 nights on my back I could lay gently on my left side. This is all hard because I always sleep on my stomach. This morning...one week in, I woke up after a pretty decent night's sleep...on my stomach. I guess it was comfortable enough in my sleep for me to roll all the way over and sleep like normal. I still have some pain bending and getting up from a sitting or laying position...but it is really better. Hang in there...it will get better.

I'm 10 days post op and still uncomfortable laying down. I tried again last night. Laying on my back is impossible, and after laying on my side I feel like I am about to tear something trying to get up. I ended up rolling like a pregnant woman to get out of that posistion. I haven't really felt a burning sensation. If it is really bothering you, call your surgeon for peace of mind.

I am one day post op and I folded a body pillow and stacked a regular pillow against it, (both horizontally). Then I placed a regular pillow vertically behind of that--kind of making my own chair pillow. It is still stuff getting up, but its not TOO bad.

Hey Sash!

I would also let your DR. know about the pain, but do you find that its worse when you lay flat? I also slept better on the recliner and I got sick of it, but it felt like laying flat was pulling the stitches right out, so I did the first week there. Are you doing a lot of walking? I felt that helped clear my groggy brain and it really helped with belly pain, both the gas and port. I wasn't setting any land speed records, but it really helped. It will get better though, don't worry:wink2: Moe

AGH, I posted out of frustration and found this shorty after I asked my question...I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one feeling this way. I kept thinking that there was something wrong with me...

Ok,... Deep Breath!

Next time I'll take a deep breath & try to look it up FIRST!

I'd be in the dr's office every day if it weren't for you guys!

THANK YOU!

:angry:

(I still just wanna sleep though by-George!)

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

I did try stacking pillows in my bed and that's when I felt a huge burning at the port site.:angry:

I went back to my chair.

I am walking (have been since the minute I got out of surgery).

That is okay it's the laying down I can't seem to grasp.

My backside is tired of being sat upon.

I'm doing okay as far as eating and getting up and down.

It's just the laying down that has me frustrated.

I am doing okay with the hunger.

Trying to embrace it as my friend.

I know alot of what I do in regards to eating is mental (at least for me) but a cheeseburger or taco :drool:would be just fabulous right about now! (Oh did I say that out loud?)

...but a cheeseburger or taco :drool:would be just fabulous right about now! (Oh did I say that out loud?)

:drool:Cheeseburger:drool:

I had surgery on Monday 09/29 and I have not been able to lay down yet.

I am sleeping in a chair and I am tired of sitting.

When I try to lay down I have this awful burning in the port area.:tt2:

It sometimes takes my breath away when it happens.

This also happens upon slight bending or twisting.

I think I ripped the port out of place tonight!:)

Is this possible?

Is this burning feeling normal?

Did anyone else have this happen?

Any ideas?

Help?

I too felt like i ripped my port out a time or two after surgery. it was sooo sore. getting into bed, getting out. moving in bed was really tough and a time or two even two weeks out of surgery, i would get up and the nagging, pulling feeling from that site put me into tears. I believe i started to feel good at about 3 weeks after surgery. Everyone heals differently. I was a slow healer and now can move about. sometimes i feel some discomfort still even after almost 4 weeks but im hanging in there. :thumbup: dont feel discouraged. I can now lay on my stomach and my sides in bed. You will get there.

Thank You Chicamam1, I appreciate your encouragement. I know I am one of those who takes a little bit longer to heal. I did call my Dr's nurse and she said that I should keep taking th Lortab at night a little bit before I go to bed. She said that it was all normal! She said the port was probably in tact but that it was probably the nerve endings that caused the burning. I am feeling a little bit better every day. Again, Thanks!

You will, It took me a few days and now I sleep the way I did before. If you feel burning or indigestion try a pepcid ac or something like that. DOn't worry all in due time. keep your head up!!!