Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how do i know when im full?????

I have a question. How the heck do I know when i should stop eating. Granted I cant eat very much right now. maybe a cup at the most. usually within 4 oz tho. anyhoo... do know im full when i feel it in my stomach? Its like ive lost the signal my brain is sending. or is the signal when i feel my stomach say ok enough? I dont feel overfull like uncomfortable? how do you know when to stop eating. is it when your hunger pangs are gone?

Honestly, since I've been banded I just eat the amount that I serve myself. I don't go back for seconds, and I realize about 10 min after I finish that I am full. I stay satisfied for normally 4 hours. There are times I WANT more food, but it isn't because I am hungry. I don't really know how to explain it. I went through surgery and decided I wanted to change my eating habits, so I am determined to eat better and take advantage of the tool I have. I think a lot of this has to do with us changing the way we think about food. It is not easy. They don't have a band for our brains.

I eat about a cup of food each meal. I am still losing about 2 lbs a week, so I guess I am doing okay.

Hi,

I know I'm full when I get that little sensation that says, if you eat one more bite your going to be sorry. You'll know it when you feel it. Your doing amazing, so you must be doing what your body needs just pay attention and keep up the good work.

Honestly, since I've been banded I just eat the amount that I serve myself. I don't go back for seconds, and I realize about 10 min after I finish that I am full. I stay satisfied for normally 4 hours. There are times I WANT more food, but it isn't because I am hungry. I don't really know how to explain it. I went through surgery and decided I wanted to change my eating habits, so I am determined to eat better and take advantage of the tool I have. I think a lot of this has to do with us changing the way we think about food. It is not easy. They don't have a band for our brains.

I eat about a cup of food each meal. I am still losing about 2 lbs a week, so I guess I am doing okay.

You eat a normal serving and stay full normally 4 hours? Wish that was my case, I eat what I'm suppose to and within an hour, I feel hungry again. How much do you have in your band, if you don't mind my asking? I have 5cc in my band and I still can't tell when I am full while eating, I just eat the amount I am suppose to and make myself not go back for more. I'm not losing weight anymore either. I have not lost anything since September 15 and then I had only lost 17 pounds.

Without a fill, chica, and your swelling is probably starting to go down, you really need to try to just stick with the amount of food your doctor has told you to eat. Mine says 1/2 cup per meal, but I have on a couple of occasions eaten closer to a cup. I stay pretty satisfied until it's time to eat again, especially because I drink a lot of fluids starting 45 mins to an hour after a meal. That helps me tremendously. For me, right now, it's about portion size and not the full signal I was getting early on.

Wow! Congratulations. You guys are doing great. I was banded July 16, and I've only lost 22.5 pounds. It's frustrating, but not totally dissappointing. I can definitely feel a differnce in my energy level. I was alking around Lowes the other day and realized I felt so light on my feet. I never felt like I had a hard time getting around. I also just realized yesterday that I'm not tired anymore. It's funny that I hadn't realized that before.

I walk 45 minutes most days of the weeks, and I'm just hanging in there until this band starts doing its thing. Just had my third fill. I think I will finally have some restriction. I will glad to be back to eating food. I was looking forward to the fill, but I hate getting back on the liquid diet. I can't say how you'll know when you're full because I haven't gotten there yet. Can you beleive I actually look forward to the PB'ing and discomfort! Well, maybe not!

Keep up the good work.

You eat a normal serving and stay full normally 4 hours? Wish that was my case, I eat what I'm suppose to and within an hour, I feel hungry again. How much do you have in your band, if you don't mind my asking? I have 5cc in my band and I still can't tell when I am full while eating, I just eat the amount I am suppose to and make myself not go back for more. I'm not losing weight anymore either. I have not lost anything since September 15 and then I had only lost 17 pounds.

I only have 1cc in my 11cc band. I didn't want more restriction than that. I asked for 1/2 of what they normally do (3-4). PA put in 2ccs and it was too tight, so she took 1cc out, leaving me with 1cc. I am not too tight, so I can eat the cup of food each meal, I am satisfied and I haven't been sick yet, thankfully. No sliming, pb, etc.

Honestly, you may NOT be eating enough. I stay between 1000-1400 calories per day. Normally around 1200. I go to 1400 at least 2 days per week to keep my metabolism up. There isn't anyway to get in enough calories eating 1/2 cup per meal. At least not that I know of. I do, however, during school hours not consume enough. I only eat a Campbells "Soup on hand" at lunch, 100 calories( it is all I have time for). Then I eat the Protein added chewy pb choc chip granola bars (100 calories) at recess. But, at the end of the day I still am over 1000, even if I have to drink skim milk to do it. Log your food intake on fitday.com or dailyplate.com to check your calorie and Protein intake and see if it is sufficient.

Thanks for all your replies :lol: after my first fill which is oct 29th. i have to stick to 3 0z measured out. two oz of protien one oz of veggies or fruits. I havent ever putmore than a cup of food on my plate so i guess im doing well. i eat Breakfast at 7, which ends like at 7:20 or 30 then at work at my first break im starving, and i drink crystal light in between that. usually 16.9 oz of Water, my break is around 11. then lunch at around 1:30 i ate a small smack and break and that helped yesterday. then i dont get to eat again until 6:30 which im usually starving by then lol i drink 16.9 oz between all my meals. im so nervous to strech my pouch out or to ruin it. I guess i shouldnt worry as long as im not eating over my portions. and im intaking mostly protien. thanks for the replies.

I was banded with my husband on the 19th of Sept.:thumbup: I am still in the liquid phase but I really have no idea when to tell if I am full.:tt2: I get this feeling, like I am starting to not feel well, so I guess that would be it. Or sometimes a tightness in my chest. But I figured since it was liquid it wouldnt be like that. I guess I have to learn to set a limit because my body is confused. I dont want to hurt the band. I have 6 more days and then I can eat and that scarres me too. Will I then know I am full? Will I get food stuck? I really dont want to go through that at all. I think I may start out with mashed potatos and gravy and see what happens. So far I have lost 8 pounds since surgery. That is not much for 3 weeks. I sure hope I start losing me, or I will be totally disappointed.:)

Whether you have the sensation of fullness or not, when you first start mushies/food, eat no more than the amount that they tell you. I found that if I ate that amount, for me 1/4-1/2 cup and chewed, even though it was mushy, I was satisfied for around 3 hours.

After about 4 weeks you will probably be ready for your first fill if you aren't full on the amount of food you are supposed to eat.