Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'd like to help someone

Hello all,

I'm Steve and live in Nottinghamshire UK. I had my band fitted in November 2007 in Derby, and had to have a second operation to correct the port and tube in May 2008. My operations were by the NHS.

I was 303 pounds (138 kgs, 21.7 stones) at the beginning of my journey, and now I'm at 173 pounds (79 kgs, 12.4 stones). I reached my target weight on 24 Septemebr 2008. I'd now like to lose a little more weight, maybe to get to 161 pounds. My BMI was 41.2, now it's 23.6.

I was a music teacher, then worked for an international computer software company (don't let that put you off!). I'm now retired and spend my time reading, computing, cycling and around the house. I like to travel when I can. I'm married to Denise (nearly 30 years) and have a daughter Jennifer who is 23. I also have nine cats (utter madness).

If you feel that I might be of help to you, please go ahead and make contact. I think I'm a very patient man with a good sense of humour. I've had both good (lots) and bad (one) experiences with the band. It has helped change my life. I've had a lot of support from my family and health professionals, which I've found essential for my success.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Edited by Maincat

Hello all,

I'm Steve and live in Nottinghamshire UK. I had my band fitted in November 2007 in Derby, and had to have a second operation to correct the port and tube in May 2008. My operations were by the NHS.

I was 303 pounds (138 kgs, 21.7 stones) at the beginning of my journey, and now I'm at 173 pounds (79 kgs, 12.4 stones). I reached my target weight on 24 Septemebr 2008. I'd now like to lose a little more weight, maybe to get to 161 pounds. My BMI was 41.2, now it's 23.6.

I was a music teacher, then worked for an international computer software company (don't let that put you off!). I'm now retired and spend my time reading, computing, cycling and around the house. I like to travel when I can. I'm married to Denise (nearly 30 years) and have a daughter Jennifer who is 23. I also have nine cats (utter madness).

If you feel that I might be of help to you, please go ahead and make contact. I think I'm a very patient man with a good sense of humour. I've had both good (lots) and bad (one) experiences with the band. It has helped change my life. I've had a lot of support from my family and health professionals, which I've found essential for my success.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Wow, you did great. I was banded 10-10-07 and have lost less than 50 pounds.

I had problems with my band a couple of months ago, it got blocked.

The Dr. had to empty it and now I am starting over again.

What was the reason they had to re-do the surgery? Did your insurance cover the extra surgery cost?

Right now I am still hungry, very hungry, I am hoping after my next fill I will start to fill restriction again, I was at a good spot before I got to where I couldn't hold even Water down.

Sherry

Hi Sherry,

Sorry to hear that you have had problems with your band. The reason I had a second operation was that when Fluid that was injected into my band at the first fill went into my chest cavity as the tube and port were faulty. I had a new tube and port fitted and all was well again. I had the operation on our NHS, which means that it was free at the point of delivery, paid for in our taxes.

Why do you feel hungry? Is that head hunger? Are you eating Breakfast? My routine is Breakfast, usually oats or muesli, then lunch, usually Soup. The main meal is the same as everyone else, just less of it. I eat plenty of fruit. No supper. I also drink lots of Water and sugar free squash, no fizzy drinks. What I do eat is quality food, no rubbish. For me the most important factors are breakfast and Portion Control. I never feel hungry. I have a 10ml band which is filled to 5.5ml.

I also exercise every day. Usually that is a bit of conditioning work and about 45 minutes of cardio (cycling). I love the exercise.

I'm sure the weight will start to move again for you. Try to stay positive and enjoy the process.

Good morning,

I would love to have a few if not more conversations with you about your journey. I just started mine on 9-23....my doctor is great but very very quiet. I lost nine pounds in six days and he basically told me to start going to the gym that the walking i was doing was good to maintain but not to lose..ugh..so yesterday I signed up for a gym membership and a personal trainer. I go for my first fill Friday at 6:30 am double uggggh..although he is coming in 30 minutes early so I am not to late for work..like i stated before a great doctor. My issue is since I have not felt restriction, because i have not had a fill...I need advice on all sorts of things...right now I am able to eat basically anything healthy..so i am eating for Breakfast an egg beaters fattata..egg beaters, minced onion and green pepper little bit of cheese..I weigh it out so I get 175 calories according to the cookbook..I have a 35 gram Protein Shake 3 gram carb around lunch time if i am out, or i will have tuna with lemon or home made cream of broccoli soup..(its made with chicken stock and sour cream) also low fat and low carb, dinner I have a great white chili type of Soup (butter beas and white Beans minced onion chicken broth and ground turkey). My problem is at 9 pm I am famished...so I am still good and i have 4 ounces of cottage cheese...still hungry I try a sf Jello still hungry make some hot tea....finally hunger subsides..am i depriving myself during the day and at night i am making up for it....or just habit of eating late...I work until 8pm three nights a week. I would love to hear what you are eating.

thanks for offering to help.

Hi Vickie,

Thanks for your post. You have made a great start to your weight loss journey. You should feel more restriction after your fill - good luck with that. I've only had one fill and that was about five months after the first operation. I needed a second operation as my port and tubing were faulty and needed replacement.

As for what I eat, I have a pretty set regime. Always eat breakfast, which is either oats or muesli. That is never missed. lunch is usually Soup of some type. dinner is what everyone else eats, just a lot less of it. I don't eat bread, fried foods, sweets etc. I also don't drink fizzy drinks at all, just tea, coffee, Water and sugar free squash. I eat bananas and apples after lunch and dinner. I really never feel hungry. I used to eat mountains of food, but now it's Portion Control and I'm used to it.

I don't really calorie count, but I suspect I come in at around 1500 a day. I also exercise every day - conditioning for about 15 minutes and then cardio - cycling or exercise bike - for about an hour. You should do well with your gym and trainer. I really love the exercise.

I'm sure that your journey will be a good one, just be patient and continue to work at it. Stay positive, even during those difficult days when the weight refuses to budge. You can do this!!

Hi steve:) today is my 5th day post banded:) first 3 days was horrible. I was so mad at myself.. I had toast and jam:) luckily nothing happened:) i feel bloated everytime i eat or drink something. And i know that i'm dehydrated. 1st day post op i had chocolate milk:) i dont think this band gonna do me any good if i keep doing this. Please help me.

Hi steve:) today is my 5th day post banded:) first 3 days was horrible. I was so mad at myself.. I had toast and jam:) luckily nothing happened:) i feel bloated everytime i eat or drink something. And i know that i'm dehydrated. 1st day post op i had chocolate milk:) i dont think this band gonna do me any good if i keep doing this. Please help me.

Hello Honey76,

First of all, well done for getting your band. You have started a really exciting weight loss journey that is going to improve your life in so many ways.

You are still in the very early stages and should be on a liquid diet. This is to help your body recover from the operation. I had Soup of different kinds at this stage. It's not the most exciting diet, but it worked for me. Be patient and the time will come for you to move back onto solid foods. The band will not be tightened at this stage and it will only be at the fill stage that you may start to feel more restriction. Before that happens, you will need self control. Drink lots of Water, sugar free squash etc.

Remember why you had the operation - to lose weight. As so many people say, the band is just a tool. It really comes down to how you use it. Try not to eat/drink the wrong foods. That defeats the object.

Try to stay positive and look forward to all the benefits the band can bring. I'm sure you'll be fine and in no time be really making great progress.

Hello to a fellow Brit! Actually I was born in Scotland and emigrated to the States when I was 16.....so I am pretty Americanized!

I am pre-surgery..... I hope to have the LapBand done in January. My insurance finally approved me for surgery just a few days ago, after having been turned down. They said my BMI was not high enough (at that time it was 36.7 I think).....I have had type II diabetes for over 5 years, Hypothyroid disease (had the thyroid gland surgically removed a few years ago), high blood pressure, high cholesterol etc etc etc.....but insurance didn't think any of those conditions was severe enough to qualify for LapBand.....oh how I long for the good old National Health System!!! LOL!!! Kidding!

Anyway.....I have a fabulous doctor and staff who went forward with the appeals process and we got the insurance to reverse their decision.

Now, I have to wait till January due to my work schedule. I had been hoping to have the surgery last August and had my vacation time all figured out to cover the time off.........but since they turned me down I simply used the time for an actual holiday.

My work schedule is so busy for the next two months.....and it would be impossible to get time off before the end of the year.

Well, at least it gives me time to lose 10-15lbs prior to the surgery.....and hopefully shrink the liver a bit.

I've also invested in some exercise equipment, hypnosis CD's etc....so that I will hopefully begin to get myself fit.

My problem is that I don't feel particularly motivated just yet.... I think it's because I know I have two months! :-) I am sure that if I was scheduled for surgery in, say two weeks, I would be working my behind off and starving myself to get those few pounds off! I guess it's that stupid kind of mentality that I have to get in as much as I can before "D" day......(*sigh*)

I would love to correspond with you......and perhaps you can help to get me motivated to do this.

I think that I had been so completely charged up and I was running on adrenaline while going through all the pre-testing etc.....and when the insurance company said "No" it was like hitting a brick wall! I was just crushed......and I gave up hope......and just stopped caring what I ate.

So.........now the journey back to where I was mentally and emotionally in August begins.............

Hi April410,

Thanks for your post. Good to hear from you. You have done so much already towards your weight loss in terms of preparation, which is great. Let's talk about motivation.

I'll tell you what motivated me. I couldn't get up the stairs without being out of breath. Ordinary things were a real bind - even putting on my own socks was difficult. But more than anything else, I was scared. I could see my life just drifting away. I am mortal, and this is where I met my mortality. I knew I had to do something, not just tinker at the edges. I had to be radical. That's where the lapband came in.

The pre-op diet isn't a sexy thing. It's a necessary step to take for the surgery to have more of a chance to be successful. Sometimes, I just had to grind it out. Grit my teeth and ask myself 'how much do I want this?' I realised I wanted it a lot. That's what kept up the motivation then.

When I started to lose the weight, I started to see NSVs. Clothes fitted better, then not at all. I needed a new smaller belt. Then someone would ask 'have you lost weight?'. Then, I could exercise a little longer. All of these steps kept me motivated.

In the next two months, you can start doing exercise. Slowly at first - just do a minute each day for a few days. Then two minutes and so on.

You don't have to starve yourself, just eat sensible foods and get rid of the junk. Eat slower - take your time to enjoy your food.

The disappointment in not getting your surgery earlier is over. Look to the future and try to attain a positive outlook. Look forward to a new exciting future that weight loss can help bring. Above all, enjoy the experience. Don't look for negativity or ask 'what happens if' questions. The next period of your life is set to be one of great achievement and people will be so proud of you. Just make sure that no one is more proud of you - than you.

Please keep in touch, either email, PM or this forum. Best of luck for your journey - you can and will do it I'm sure.

Edited by Maincat