Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Triangular When Full

Guest BikiniBeachy

Apparently what I saw today was the new Realize Band-C. It was FDA approved in October 2008 and first placed in mid-December 2008. Since Dr. Ponce was on the U.S. clinical trials for the original Realize Band, he probably got early access to the new version. I suspect it will be available nationally very soon.

Rockbandster is going to have to find something else to rave about. :-)

This thread is too funny. Even when the posters are dead serious. :sneaky:

Actually no -it creases just like the old one does..

There is little difference in excess weight loss - only about 30-40% at 3 years vs 62% with the Lapband. This is another J&J marketing gimmick. This product is actually called the Swedish Band -VC in Europe in a new Box with a new name. Although it is pre-curved when it hits the 9cc mark it turns into a triangle, exactly like the other one and creases in 3 spots which can crack and leak over time, just like the original. (My doctor has a sample and we tested this out). It holds 11cc, still 3cc short of the LapBAnd APL. Also, they attached the port tubing at a very weird angle, it doesn't lay flat on the band, that's a concern as well because silicone doesn't like being bent as much as it doesnt like creases.

In a study of over 800 patients of the original Swedish Band known as the Realize band in the US, they switched to this one in the middle of the study because of leak problems with the original Realize Band. This band is barely equal in design to the first generation lapbands that came out in 2001. There are no pouches or indentations to prevent creases from occuring.

I hope your doctor should explained all this to you, especially the potential for crease-fold failure. and please be carefull if he says "I havent seen any problems" becuase the Realize band hasnt been out long enough in the US for most problems to occur. Unless he practiced overseas for the last 15 years, there isnt enough experience to say that.

Im not saying you shouldnt get it, but you are entitled as a patient to know everything about this imlant that you wil have for the rest of your life. Once its in, your committed. Do your due dilgence and research and do not just get any band or procedure cause your doctor says its the same thing.

user_online.gifreport.gif digg.gif delicious.gif technorati.gif furl.gif

progress.gifedit.gif

Also, Dr. Ponce did a study with the Lapband (older generation) published in 03 or 04 I believe with excess weight loss at 62%.I would question why is using the Realize band with published data at 43% when he himself did a study with the lapband and published his data of 62%.

Wasn't he the doctor that was feautured on the Realize Band Website?

My surgeon, Dr. Jaime Ponce.

Excellent choice, downsdc!

Also, Dr. Ponce did a study with the Lapband (older generation) published in 03 or 04 I believe with excess weight loss at 62%.I would question why is using the Realize band with published data at 43% when he himself did a study with the lapband and published his data of 62%.

Maybe he looked at ALL the studies? Just a thought. My surgeons are getting 10-20% better excess weight loss on average with their band patients than published studies. They have a great after-care program and it really makes a big difference. Ponce is a great surgeon and probably gets better than average results too.

You can't just cherry pick one study. You need to look at them all in order to see trends. But in the end, it's your own surgeon's stats that matter the most because it's his pre-op education, surgical technique, and post-op program you are going to be getting.

A band is a band is a band.

They all do the same thing. Erosion is no different considering NOBODY knows what causes erosion. Weight loss is the same if you disregard the BS each band company promotes.

A band is a band is a band.

Actually no -it creases just like the old one does..

There is little difference in excess weight loss - only about 30-40% at 3 years vs 62% with the Lapband. This is another J&J marketing gimmick. This product is actually called the Swedish Band -VC in Europe in a new Box with a new name. Although it is pre-curved when it hits the 9cc mark it turns into a triangle, exactly like the other one and creases in 3 spots which can crack and leak over time, just like the original. (My doctor has a sample and we tested this out). It holds 11cc, still 3cc short of the LapBAnd APL. Also, they attached the port tubing at a very weird angle, it doesn't lay flat on the band, that's a concern as well because silicone doesn't like being bent as much as it doesnt like creases.

In a study of over 800 patients of the original Swedish Band known as the Realize band in the US, they switched to this one in the middle of the study because of leak problems with the original Realize Band. This band is barely equal in design to the first generation lapbands that came out in 2001. There are no pouches or indentations to prevent creases from occuring.

I hope your doctor should explained all this to you, especially the potential for crease-fold failure. and please be carefull if he says "I havent seen any problems" becuase the Realize band hasnt been out long enough in the US for most problems to occur. Unless he practiced overseas for the last 15 years, there isnt enough experience to say that.

Im not saying you shouldnt get it, but you are entitled as a patient to know everything about this imlant that you wil have for the rest of your life. Once its in, your committed. Do your due dilgence and research and do not just get any band or procedure cause your doctor says its the same thing.

user_online.gifreport.gif digg.gif delicious.gif technorati.gif furl.gif

progress.gifedit.gif

Do you really want to play again? You still have declined to respond to my previous (many) posts where I challenged you on your education, history, and banding dates.

Want to continue? I'm game. I am also willing to call the doctor that banded you and tell him what you are doing on the boards.

Want to continue... Mr. 9 months of education, OR tech?

Keep in mind, I have copies of your posts where you claim you have been banded for 2 months and later you claim you have been banded for over a year with poor weight loss... well, poor compared to mine. ;o)

Apparently Rockbandster just can't help himself. He has posted essentially the same reply to my thread looking for people who have the Realize Band-C. It would almost be funny if he wasn't spreading disinformation to people actually looking for answers, not BS.

Apparently Rockbandster just can't help himself. He has posted essentially the same reply to my thread looking for people who have the Realize Band-C. It would almost be funny if he wasn't spreading disinformation to people actually looking for answers, not BS.

What does BS stand for ... Band Stupidity?

Congratulations TexasWeb on your surgery approval yesterday! Do you have a surgery date yet? My surgery is on 1/26 and I'm currently on a two-week pre-op diet to reduce the fat in my liver. I'm self-pay (insurance exclusion for gastric surgery) so I had to write a rather large check yesterday (but it will be worth it).

OK, I asked my Dr. about the differene between brand and size of bands. He says the size is dependent upon the person's size but that the brand is simply that, a brand. He primiarly uses Allergan but not because there's anything wrong with the Realize band.

Reading between the lines, I took that to mean that he probably has a better negotiated rate with Allergan than Realize.

Reading between the lines, I took that to mean that he probably has a better negotiated rate with Allergan than Realize.

LOL, Donna!

Gee, if we could only read between the lines of rockbandster's posts, I wonder what we'd find. ;):(

Here is a link with pictures comparing the new Realize Band-C with the Lap-Band AP. I don't see any triangles, do you?

Trace W. Curry, M.D. :: View topic - Pic of new Realize-C

No triangles.

I have an 8cc AP Allergan band so does that mean I have nonstandard Allergan band? The AP Allergan band info may be a bit outdated.