Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

just frustrated... am sure you have heard it before

It seems no matter how much I exercise and watch what I eat, I am not losing anything. I shouldn't really complain, since I have lost a total of 60 pounds (plus or minus five depending on the day) since June 1, 2008, but it just stopped and now waffles back and forth between 60 and 70 lost, basically for the last month. I realize I should be patient. I am just sorta frustrated and feel super stuck. I don't think I have proper restriction, yet I feel restricted at times. How does one really know they are properly restricted? Everytime I think I overcame this plateau, the pounds find their way back on. Grrrrr...

You are doing great! Are you comparing yourself with someone else?

I was banded last November (07) and I've only lost 45 pounds. How do you think I feel? That is an amazing loss you've had since June.

First, you've lost an average of 20 pounds a month. Also, your body may be shifting the weight around and you are losing fat but gaining muscle, which as you know, weighs more than fat. Are you measuring yourself?

As to the knowing when you are at a good fill level. If you can over eat, then you aren't. If you are BPing a lot, then you likely are. You don't want to have too tight a fill, as that isn't great for your stomach or your band either.

Calm down and stop worrying so much. You are doing really well, and I'm envious!

Mary

Thanks for the kind words... much appreciated. I am not comparing myself to anyone, I think I am being too impatient and hard on myself. Its a common theme in my life, impatience and being critical. The reason I ask about my fill is that it seems that each time I have had one, I feel really great restriction for about three days, and then its back to the larger portions, which, really, aren't all that large, maybe a cup and a half at a time. I think one of the problems is not having a good mental image of what a portion is supposed to look like. No one ever showed me that. Like, is it 8oz in weight or volume? Does it depend on the food item if its weight or volume? I am going to suggest our dietitian go over that in our next support meeting. I have never PB'd or thrown up. Which I think is odd, since everyone I have ever talked to has.

That being said, you have done great too! I love my band, and am happy I did it, and you should be proud of the loss you have achieved, as I am sure you are. I started at what I think was a really high weight, which I think also contributed to the initial quick loss of a pretty big amount. Sometimes I need to remind myself just how much I have lost. I think there is a lot going on in my head regarding food, body image, and all that goes with them, and mostly I am trying to work through them... finally. Now I have clearly yammered on and will stop. Thanks again for responding. I am not living in the most supportive situation, and I only have this wonderful site, the once a month support groups and one band-friend I have made and I am so grateful for everyone on this site.

I only said the comparison thing as it applies to me. I see someone complaining that they've only lost 60 pounds in three months and I think "what's wrong with me? I haven't managed to lose 50 in almost a year.

I think that fills are tight at first because they irritate your stomach and it swells a bit. After a few days it calms down again and you can eat more than you could when you first got the fill. How many have you had? It took me 5 before I got to the level I am now, and it is possible I could go for another one soon.

That's a good idea to ask your nutritionists. I find I can eat a huge bowl of salad (two cups at least) because you know what salad looks like if you forget it in the fridge, it turns to mush. But I can only have an ounce of tuna to have problems. As long as you aren't eating too much of anything that is not the best choice. For example, I've pretty much given up on bread as it isn't a great choice, but also it often sticks and I end up being sick. You may not have been sick yet because you are chewing well! And good for you as it isn't pleasant or good for you.

That was my main problem too, portion sizes, and that's what the band has helped me with the most. I do eat when I'm upset but I can't overeat now in my every day meals which has been what's helped. I ate pretty healthy anyway, but way too much. I'm now satisfied with a lot less. I use little plates now to have my dinner, it helps me not take a portion I won't be able to eat, and I feel mentally more satisfied.

Sorry that your not getting support at home, that's a drag. But in the end we are doing this for ourselves, so everyone else will have to live with us putting ourselves first for a change!

Good luck,

Mary

Thanks again for kind words... I use baby plates and haven't had bread since June. I can eat six ounces of tuna and not have a problem. I usually just have spinach with that.

As far as fills, I was self pay, and the doctor offered free fills for 90 days. So I have had three. I love the restriction I have right after it. I am now saving up for my fourth, and hope to have it in November.

I have recently upped my protien to around 100g a day, since I am also losing my hair at a rapid pace. I think I have lost about a third of it in the last month and a half. I am hoping the higher amount of protien is helpful.

Thanks so much for replying, its nice that someone takes the time to do so. Good luck to you too!

It's my pleasure. I heard that taking your B Vitamins was good for stopping hair loss as well, so you should ask the clinic or look into that.

I'm self pay too (in Canada we are all self pay pretty much) but I'm luckyin that my fills are covered for life! I guess for as long as this clinic runs. But he's pretty popular so I think I may be okay for a while.

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Mary

I am having a similar problem. Banded in June 08 I have lost 60lbs-on some days it goes up 5lbs. its has been going back and forth for about a month. I am hungry and I can eat yogurt, or Protein Shake in the morning but in the afternoon I will PB with all the foods I should be eating-turkey, chicken, salmon, etc... and have started eating bad stuff because I am so hungry and it doesn't make me PB. I am not sure what to do. Am I swollen because I have been PB'ing or am I too tight or too loose. I can eat a whole baked potato with broccoli, mushrooms and cheese at dinner but forget Protein? ??????????????????????? I am not complaining because I know I have good weight loss so far, but I am also frustrated.

Kim

I am thinking maybe your band is too tight? I have never pb'd, ever. My problem is that at this point I am doing all the work without any real help from the band. I think maybe I am eating too little, and that might be your issue too. Especially if you are not getting any Protein. Your metabolism shuts down if it's not getting enough to keep it going. How many calories a day are you taking in? I started to vary my caloric intake every day, some days just 100 to 200 more than usual. It seems to be working a little. I think I have seen the scale move a little, but have learned to pay attention to how the clothes are fitting. Not too long ago, I got some cheap pants to make up for all of the pants could no longer wear. They were slightly tight when I bought them, so I put them into the closet and thought, a month from now they will be fine. Well a month passed, and they are too loose! That is great, but there was no change on the scale in that month. My body must be adjusting. In the meantime I am saving up for another fill... they are $250 a pop, so I will probably get one for me for my birthday next month. Oh, I also have decided that I can only weigh on one day a week, and if I (for some strange reason) forget to, then I can't until the next week. I found myself really obsessing about the scale, and that is not good for anyone. Keep in touch, let me know how you are doing. Do you attend any support groups? I find the ones I go to to be extremely helpful.