Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded on June 23rd

WOW! What pain! The incisions don't hurt as much as passing the gas. And everytime I burp something tends to come with it. Gaviscon helps some and the suppositories help with the nausea. My advice to anyone who has not had it done yet is to drink lots of Water the day before. I was at the surgery center an extra 2 to 3 hours because I couldn't urinate. I don't want to scare anyone. I just don't think that there is anyway to totally prepare for this.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has had this done in the last 1-2 weeks and who can assure me that this will get better! The good news is that I dropped 12 pounds just on the pre-op diet. So I'm 12# closer to my goal.

IT WILL GET BETTER!!!!!! I PROMISE. I am on day 18 and I feel GREAT. I have lost 14 pounds. The gas finally is gone. I have not had any more reflux. I feel perfect.

Welcome to the other side! It definitely gets better or you wouldn't have quite as many bandsters out there! :)

Hey, I also got done on the 23rd! Yeah, a LOT of pain. Walking walking walking helped the gas pain for me. I still feel SO bloated and liquids not going down all that well yet. TONS of pain and they gave me liquid vicodin but if I take too much it makes me hallucinate. Weird.

Right at this moment I feel TERRIBLE but I know it will improve.......

Hang in there band buddy!!

Pamela, how are you feeling today? I also was banded 6/23 by Dr. Powell. I feel a little better today. I am still a little gas-y but feel so much better than 48 hours ago. The pain is so much better. Havent had any pain meds today at all.

You'll be fine- I had my band done on 6-15 and I feel pretty much back to normal. did use a heating pad on my back while I slept the first week which helped alot- I also walked around alot to relieve the gas pains- but I haven't had the weird gas shoulder pain for at least 5 days. I was liberal with the pain meds- back at work the Monday after my Wed surgery- but I was also very kind to myself lots and lots of water- came home after work and stretched out to rest.

Allow your self this time to heal and don't be too anxious about getting back to full reality- let yourself be pampered a little!

I had my one week checkup on Wed and have lost 20 lbs. since I started liquids on 6/5. I get to have pureed foods on next Wed- I can't wait.

Rock On June Bandsters- We are like June brides!!

My daughter was banded on June 15th and she was feeling better by the 23rd, no more shoulder pain or gas pain. I did have to help her out with prune juice, only once, but I believe things are starting to get back to normal. She's back to hanging out with her friends and not complaining at all. It does get better with time, promise.

Hang in there, it will get better!. I was banded on June 8th and am almost back to normal except for feeling the side of effects of being on a full liquid diet. I totally agree with you about drinking an awful lot prior to surgery. You don't want to go into surgery dehydrated. I also had trouble urinating after surgery and they almost had to cath me -Yuck!

I had surgery on June 9 and am 3 weeks post-op. I remember the third day after being the worst, but it took a little over a week for all the gas and swelling to go down. Once that went away, I felt great and have felt pretty normal since. My scars are still tender, especially the one where the port is, but that's normal after being cut. It gets so much better after the first couple of weeks. Hang in there!!!!

Those of us banded on the 23rd are now celebrating our one week bandiversery!!! Well, okay, so I feel way better in terms of pain. Have done the treadmill for a half hour twice this week. But dang if I'm not still SOOOO tight. It's really a terrible time getting enough liquids down! When it does loosen up a little I try to take maximum advantage and get all the Protein drinks down I can handle. Crazy.

Also getting pretty severe reflux at night. It's woken me up in the middle of the night three nights in a row. Last night I moved to my couch where I can sleep kind of sitting up a little and that helped. But yucko. It's a tradeoff....if I backoff on drinking anything in the two hours before sleep, I wake up starving middle of the night and am so tight can hardly drink anything. If I prepare ahead for that and have something before going to bed I get wicked reflux. Sucks. I'm going with no eats before bed tonight to see how that goes.

I have lost 12 pounds which is amazing but seems SO fast and a little scary.

Also I still get VERY exhausted, sleeping a LOT. My incisions look pretty good, healing well.

Hope to be good while back at work next week and maybe lose the rest of this tummy swelling.

Still happy I have the band!

Okay -- It's been a week and what a difference a week makes! Two days after surgery I thought I was going to die, but now I feel wonderful. Being in TX the only thing that is really bothersome for me is the heat. If I'm out very long, I'm really drained. Also, I ran some errands with my hubby and the car ride did me in. I guess all the motion just put pressure on the incisions (the port one). I got home and slept for 2 hours.

Today is a new day. I feel great! The gas is controllable which was my hardest battle.

Take care and God Bless.

Congratulations to both of you! You have begun the journey downward and hopefully the weight we all lose is gone forever!! The first week after surgery I had graduation, father's day and baby gifts to buy. I was at the mall almost every day that week. I slept for hours when I got home and then all night. I guess surgery is just really draining on the body and so it's important to rest all you can. Be sure to take the time you need to heal so you don't hurt yourself trying to do too much too soon! Good luck to you both!!

Tricia H

Hi!

I am just 5 days post op. I go to get the stiches removed this Wednesday. At first, the shoulder pain (left side) was worse than the pain from the stiches. But today I am feeling better. I too, am having problems with gas. Any suggestions?

I too, am having problems with gas. Any suggestions?

Walking and LOTS of GasX (chewable or liquid). Walking a BUNCH is key, it really gets things moving. Take the GasX ALL the time, like everytime you eat anything.

I also started using a straw to drink as I think I swallow less air when I use one.

It does get better, I promise!!!!