Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

? @ my band - Help!

OK - this is probably the downside of getting the surgery in Mexico bc I do not have quick access to answers for my questions. I am confused by who manufactured my band. It is called LAGB. I do not see much info on this one. Is that one diff't from the allergen and the realize bands?

Also, The size is 10cm and then it says full range is 4 cc. Does that mean I can only hold 4cc's of fill or 10? I could ask my fill Dr but she is 2 hrs away and thought I would take advantage of all the wisdom on the lap talk board. THANK YOU!!

LAGB is the registered name of the BioEnterics/Inamed/Allergan band. The band is 10 cm in circumference, I believe, and holds 4 cc of fill saline.

Don't you have phone access to your doctor in Mexico? Mine has a US office number and also gives out his and his assisting surgeon's cell phone numbers if their patients have any questions.

I think LAGB stands for Laproscopic Ajustable Gastric Band and that is what we all have.Look at the card they gave you or the box or maybe you got the surgery file copy?Because it could stand for Lap-Band Adjustable Gastric Band and that would be the Lap-Band at 10 size it would be the the APS Band by Allergan and yes it hold 4cc and judging from your surgery weight that would be the correct band size for you.

Edited by Bamagal

If it only holds 4 cc's that's the old style band (another down side of having surgery done in mexico) since the new Lap Band AP's are now sized and hold 10 ccs or 14 cc's. Try google for info on yours. Good luck!

Here's a link to a website that might help; bands that hold 4cc's appear to be the ones manufactured in 2001....

Compare Adjustable Gastric Bands - LAP-BAND vs. REALIZE Band

Restless,

If you haven't been to Mexico for your band, I don't think you have the inside scoop on whether it is a good option or not. Why do you inject anti-Mexico sentiment into every post you make? I'm doing just fine with my 4 cc band. My husband got a 10 cc band (in mexico) at the same time as he is a bigger person than I am, and he is doing just fine with that also.

By the way, the LAGB designation is a registered name of the Inamed/Allergan band. I do not think you would see that designation for a Realize band.

Edited by snowbird

Firstly I don't ever say anything that isn't true. It IS hard for many to find aftercare locally once going elsewhere for the initial band. AND if one has a 4cc band, per my studies, that is the small band put out in 2001 and since replaced with newer versions. Finally I grew up in El Paso and lived on the border, and had many friends who lived across the border. There was a reason they would come to the USA for medical care. Just because something "looks" clean and safe doesn't mean it is. I have no personal experience with ANY physician in Mexico but I know what I was taught and what I learned and observed being in close proximity. Many of the pharmaceuticals are expired or formulated differently from American ones, etc. Bottom line, if they mess up, they are protected from legal recourse.

Good for you going there and having a successful surgery. But remember, you get what you pay for. There's a reason it's less expensive. If the cost savings outweigh the risks then by all means proceed. We are all adults and can make up our own minds. But that doesn't mean one should pretend there ARE NOT risks, because there are. Regardless of where you have your surgery, here, Mexico, Brussels, Tahiti! wherever...risks ensue. A good consumer will weigh the odds and proceed.

Surely you must agree with that!

Restless,

Why do you inject anti-Mexico sentiment into every post you make? .

And I don't adress Mexico's clinics etc in every post; that's hyperbole. I address it when people ask for an opinion about Mexco based surgeons and clinics.

well as you all know I went to Mexico also,the hospital I went to is also owned in USA and I also recall from my research non of the Allergen Bands have been discontinued.Then also in my research I found that the smaller band she has has a better success in a shorter time because it don't take as much to fill it so she will find her sweet spot way before the 10CC and larger 14CC band.Now as to finding an aftercare doc that was not a problem either,I was accepted by a great doctor and one of the best in South Florida and recognized by Allergen .I would also like to add I have seen complication no matter where you go.My doctor is from Canada and he very aware USA prices is over the top so sometimes he takes self paid to Malaysia for surgery,so if you want to save money and want an American doctor I would highly recommend him to anyone,but if you have plenty of money or insurance will pay I say why travel.If you do go out of the country then be sure and get a copy of your medical records to bring home,doctors are more willing to take you if they know who-what-when and where.

http://bariatrictimes.com/2007/06/02/the-lap-band-ap%E2%84%A2-system-the-platform-advances/

obrienfig3.jpg

Edited by Bamagal

RM,I understand a Mexican patient telling about a bad experience; I understand a Mexican patient talking about a good experience. I don't understand a non-mexican patient constantly talking about what a bad idea it is to go to Mexico. It's been at least three or four threads that you have done that, which makes me start to suspect an ulterior motive.

Snowbird you don't know me from Adam, nor I you. I was honest in my reply. I grew up in EL Paso and have heard horror stories that would curl your hair. If you don't like what I have to say, I suggest you don't read it. But do not dare slander me. I am who I say. I don't own a bariatric center, I don't work in one. Do YOU own one in Mexico? Of course not. What a patently ridiculous thing. Just pass on my posts and I'll pass on yours. How's that for a nice compromise?

So much for friendly support from other bandsters. Ouch! Let's all take a breath and relax. We all have a common goal. Can't we all just get along :thumbup:

I agree cmcallister2...whether pro or con this is a public board and we should all be able to voice our opinions. If they are unpopular, the reader can just bypass them. If a person ASKS for opinions, info, etc then we all can state our case. That means all of us; not just the "popular" opinions! :thumbup: